Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What hot story will we read in July?
I Never Had it Made by Jackie Robinson 6 46.15%
The Greengage Summer by Rumer Godden 3 23.08%
The Summer Book by Tove Jansson 5 38.46%
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury 8 61.54%
The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West 3 23.08%
The Go-Between by L.P. Hartley 6 46.15%
Atonement by Ian McEwan 5 38.46%
Long Summer Day by R.F. Delderfield 3 23.08%
A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams 1 7.69%
A Man's Got to Have a Hobby: Long Summers with My Dad by William McInnes 4 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I have the audiobook on cassette. I'll have to see if my Walkman still works.
Who's the narrator? I listened to the narration by Paul Michael Garcia a few years ago and liked it, but I see it's no longer available, at least in the US.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Who's the narrator? I listened to the narration by Paul Michael Garcia a few years ago and liked it, but I see it's no longer available, at least in the US.
Yes it is; it's in Overdrive. FLP has it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Yes it is; it's in Overdrive. FLP has it.
You're right; I wasn't clear. I meant that it's no longer available for purchase through Audible.

That said, a simple search for me didn't come up with it at FLP. I had to go through the OverDrive.com site, search on it, and choose FLP to see it. This has happened to me with other books at other libraries - the Arkangel Shakespeare at Boston, for example.

This is even more annoying because even when I sign in through the main OverDrive site and all four of my libraries show on my account, a search only shows books available at my state library, which is by far the worst of my four. I can only find results at my other libraries if I sign out of OD.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #19
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've just bought the Kindle version and the additional audible narration (by David Aaron Baker). The sample I listened to sounded pretty good. Cheaper that way than using an Audible credit .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You're right; I wasn't clear. I meant that it's no longer available for purchase through Audible.

That said, a simple search for me didn't come up with it at FLP. I had to go through the OverDrive.com site, search on it, and choose FLP to see it. This has happened to me with other books at other libraries - the Arkangel Shakespeare at Boston, for example.

This is even more annoying because even when I sign in through the main OverDrive site and all four of my libraries show on my account, a search only shows books available at my state library, which is by far the worst of my four. I can only find results at my other libraries if I sign out of OD.
How odd--it's at a couple of my libraries; wonder why it's apparently not sold anymore.

I didn't have to jump through hoops to find it at FLP; I just typed in "Dandelion Wine." I had looked when the book was first nominated and double-checked today; no problem either time.
Advert
Old 06-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #21
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I've just bought the Kindle version and the additional audible narration (by David Aaron Baker). The sample I listened to sounded pretty good. Cheaper that way than using an Audible credit .
Much cheaper in the UK, which is where I bought it. Less so in the US, where the WhisperSync is $7.49.

Last edited by CRussel; 06-12-2018 at 01:45 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #22
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
I don’t have them handy, but I think the narrator also did Golden Apples of the Sun and I Sing the Body Electric.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
It's available through Scribd as an ebook and two audiobook options (Stephen Hoye and David Aaron Baker).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #24
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
It's available through Scribd as an ebook and two audiobook options (Stephen Hoye and David Aaron Baker).
I listened to samples of both recordings, and preferred the Baker reading. And luckily it was the only version of the two that was tied to the Kindle purchase.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yes, I wasn't a fan of the Hoye version, at least from the sample.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #26
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I prefer the Hoye version produced by Tantor Media. It's good to have choices.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Hoye is also available at Hoopla, for those for whom that's an option.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #28
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'm going the old-fashioned way of reading it in a hardcover book which I found up on the top bookshelf (under B for Bradbury of course), that I had completely forgotten I owned!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #29
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Why are there multiple audio versions anyway? Three, for a book that's not public domain, seems quite unusual. I've noticed a few other Bradbury titles that have more than one audiobook version.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #30
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

My Hoopla library also has the Colonial Radio Theatre version published by Blackstone Audio.
http://www.colonialradio.com/HTML/ti..._bradbury.html

Quote:
January 5, 2007

Dear Jerry,

I've just played for the second time your production of DANDELION WINE and it's fabulous. I'm so very proud of it. In fact, it made me weep. In your own way you've told me that I have a chance of part of me living beyond the day that I leave this earth. This production is simply incredible.

I can hardly wait to see what you do with SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES. I know it will be fantastic. Please thank everyone involved and let them know that they moved Ray Bradbury to believe in himself.

God Bless and Happy New Year,
Ray