Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 05-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #16
Morelli
Morelli began at the beginning.

Device: v4
The newest readers, including the Boox Note I believe, will come with better specs and Android 6.0. Why even bother releasing this? I guess perhaps this will be their “budget” reader.
Morelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #17
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Looks like the Likebook Note will just stay what it was until now: Vapourware.

goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/boyue-likebook-note-will-not-be-released

UPDATE:

On their Facebook page Boyue.EbookReader reacted to another user's comment citing the above shown URL as follows:

"No, we think Goodereader may have some misunderstanding. We confirm we will release Likebook Note-T103, only because we need more time to test all aspects of this item but we have not canceled this item from the beginning to now. The estimated ready time is in June."

Last edited by orebmur; 05-15-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Update and correction
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #18
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2018/05/19/10-3-likebook-note-coming-soon-adds-frontlight-to-the-mix/
Old 05-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #19
supertoth
JJMora
supertoth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Icarus Illumina XL HD
Android 4.4.2 would mean that you can actually use devices with Bluetooth 4.0. Please Boyue update the T80s to that version 😐

Last edited by supertoth; 05-21-2018 at 09:20 AM.
supertoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #20
orebmur
Veteran Linux user

This demonstration doesn't suggest that the device is using a slow CPU:
youtube.com/watch?v=wenDJ5VB2hg
Advert
Old 07-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #21
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Boyue uploaded some days ago a new video and it seems hopefullly fast, but I'm not sure it hasn't been manipulated

https://www.facebook.com/Boyue.Ebook...1536861553161/
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #22
orebmur
Veteran Linux user

Apparently the device is now available via www.aliexpress.com:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...+likebook+note

I'd suggest to wait with a purchase until the first wave of reviews and comparisons have calmed down.

EDIT: Apparently, the originally announced battery capacity 4700mAh has shrunk to 3500mAh.

Last edited by orebmur; 07-20-2018 at 05:48 AM. Reason: reduced pointless amount of URL's to just a single one
Old 07-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #23
orebmur
Veteran Linux user

blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2018/07/19/10-3-inch-boyue-likebook-note-now-available-for-419
Old 07-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #24
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Yes, it's prudent to wait the reviews, but whith such processor I'm not enthusiastic about it.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:37 AM   #25
airbus02
Enthusiast
airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle pw3
ouch!

$420 U.S. is pretty steep for a 10" reader. I take it they're marketing this more as a notetaker that happens to also be a reader.
The stylus is going to have to work awfully well and I'm not optimistic given the processor.
airbus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:47 PM   #26
raydeng
raydeng began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
A few questions:

(1) Anyone know what the native apps are like? I've found on both the Note and Note S that the native apps run WAY better, not merely with stylus, but overall use (less lag). If that is the case, does anyone know of the native apps that it comes with?

(2) If it has a reader app, any idea if annotation/highlights can be exported?

(3) What exactly is the advantage of Android 6.0 over Android 4.4.2? Because of the browser functionality, can't you just go to any app store (such as the goodereader app store) and get any app anyways?

Will the same downloaded app work better in Android 6.0 than it will in Android 4.4.2? Sorry if this is a beginner quesiton.

(4) Do you know if note taking is pressure sensitive? It did not seem like this was the case in the two videos out there of the Likebook Note.
raydeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:59 AM   #27
viceant
Addict

Someone has uploaded another video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L1EyEoKez4
Old 07-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #28
orebmur
Veteran Linux user

I guess until someone is finally able to lay hands on and actually use one of these devices for a few days, all information provided here can only be considered guesstimations. And those videos are of course provided by Boyue employees and therefore at best serve as superficial teasers.

I finally dared buying one and it will take something between one and three weeks until delivery. So better keep holding your breath for a while.

I do plan to write up a short comparison of this device with my current Boox i86, but only from a non-consumer perspective. Sorry, i won't do any video.

Personally i don't care at all for the IMHO superfluous backlight nor the superfluous speakers, and neither for the Android stuff (which i dislike in any version) or CPU speed. The writing capabilities are only of a nice to have value to me, but are certainly welcome.

The main interest i have is properly reading scientific articles in PDF as whole pages without reflow. I certainly hope the reader and dictionary software is at least as *ahem* "good" as the one from the Boox i86. Based on my rather low expectations i expect not to be disappointed.

EDIT: To my utter surprise, the Likebook Note was already delivered to my doorsteps this very morning. Contrary to former experience, delivery from Hong Kong to Barcelona thus merely took four days. First impressions after unpacking are also very good. I will have a closer examination of the usability over the weekend.

Last edited by orebmur; 07-27-2018 at 07:05 AM. Reason: update on delivery times
Old 07-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #29
suninmypocket
suninmypocket began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 302
First impression

Your first impression on speed and front light? Does it support google play?
suninmypocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #30
orebmur
Veteran Linux user

Quote:
Originally Posted by suninmypocket View Post
Your first impression on speed and front light? Does it support google play?
Frontlight works perfectly fine (exactly as shown in vendor's video) but I have it completely turned off to save battery. I'd rather do without this superfluous feature, though. I bought this device for the exclusive purpose of reading mostly PDF files during the day with normal ambient light conditions.

Speed is about what you can expect from such a CPU/RAM combination but that's fine for my purposes. It should be taken into account that the faster and better e-ink Carta refresh is a very welcome improvement over the comparatively slowish e-ink Perl (that i was used to until now from the fine Onyx Boox i86). The screen resolution and size is gorgeous and a pure delight to me!

The whole range of Google services (Play Store, voice search and TTS, ads annoyances, network spying, blablabla) is preinstalled on the system. No idea if they work as expected from a consumer's perspective, i simply turned off everything Google i could find on the system.

I plan to completely remove everything Google and install F-Droid instead once i have come to terms with the device. I didn't go online yet (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc) and don't plan doing so for some time while checking out the core reading capabilities of the device. Did i already mention that the only thing i care for is reading capabilities?

I am silently updating the Wiki entry for the Likebook Note while exploring the device and stumbling over things worth an entry.

@viceant: If i'd had a quad-core device for comparison, i'm sure it would run circles around both my Boox i86 and the Likebook Note combined. So why bother comparing the obvious? Speaking only from the perspective of my own humble requirements, while reading static PDF pages CPU speed certainly is completely irrelevant. Nonetheless, page turning of PDF documents works almost instantly, most probably due to the lower latency of the e-ink Carta display. Very happy with this!

Last edited by orebmur; 07-28-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: embarassing typos suppressed