Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Perhaps I'm feeling a bit cynical but given that the FCC database when searched on Netronix (NOI) does not show an entry for NOIKBN437, Kobo's web page does not mention the device, the Japanese PDF file link in an earlier message points to a koboglo_safety_jp.pdf file with rather large SAR values compared to other Kobo devices and the date of the announcement...

SAR values
1.6 Aura H2O: 0.61 "Glo HD": 1.37

2.0 Aura H2O: 0.820 "Glo HD": 1.33

Last edited by DNSB; 04-05-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: fat fingered typos
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #17
shootist
Zealot
shootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: nook, prs-650, prs-350, galaxy tab 2
I'm in the market for a new ereader. This could be it. Hoping it has a sd card slot.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have three ereaders and a HDX so I don't need a new ereader ...
Has that stopped you in the past?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:19 PM   #19
isaacbh
Connoisseur
isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
I'm definitely buying this. I love my h2o, but it's not the best device for one handed use. This one sounds like the best of both worlds: the perfect size and high dpi of the Voyage and the even lighting and customisibility of the kobo range.
isaacbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #20
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PO40600 View Post
I hope that the reader's designers won't follow the same way as the smartphones designers, with ridiculous inflation of screen resolution. For example, 2560 x 1600 on 5,7" screen inches.

Such resolutions (on smartphones) are quite ridiculous, and causes dramatic drops of autonomy .
I'm more of a big screen person but 530dpi at smartphone viewing ranges (15-30cm?) doesn't seem unreasonable, although you wouldn't want to go much beyond that.

Back to the topic, the Glo name is the most interesting aspect of this. I'd have guessed their next 6" model would either be called the Aura or Aura plus a new suffix.

I'm guessing this is a direct replacement for the Glo, transitioning it to new screen technology.

I wonder where that leaves the Aura. It could have been a failed model, but the name is obviously strong enough to have used in on the H2O so why not replace it with this model?

I wonder if Kobo are targeting the Aura at a different audience to the Glo, perhaps as a model that follows fashion more closely than the usability-focused Glo?
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #21
moofychops
Connoisseur
moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Now Have Aura One and ClaraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps I'm feeling a bit cynical but given that the FCC database when searched on Netronix (NOI) does not show an entry for NOIKBN437, Kobo's web page does not mention the device, the Japanese PDF file link in an earlier message points to a koboglo_safety_jp.pdf file with rather large SAR values compared to other Kobo devices and the date of the announcement...

SAR values
1.6 Aura H2O: 0.61 "Glo HD": 1.37

2.0 Aura H2O: 0.820 "Glo HD": 1.33
Sounds like wrongly dated April Fools Day joke. None of the other sites have any mention of a new Glo
moofychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by moofychops View Post
Sounds like wrongly dated April Fools Day joke. None of the other sites have any mention of a new Glo
Looking at the images on the Mighty Apes page, they show a date of 2015-Mar-31 so just in time for 2015-Apr-01. Oddly, I noticed the Angus & Robertson page has a Glo HD item with a non-functioning pre-order button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A_R_Glo_HD.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	136877  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #23
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
And I've finally gotten my Glo down to less than $1 per book...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #24
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Mighty Apes site says it's to be released on 1 May.

Considering that it usually takes a few months for the new devices to make down to this part of the world, that seems a bit early.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #25
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I think using the Glo brand makes a lot of sense. Keep Touch for the budget end, Glo for the high-end 6" market, and Aura for the large size 6.8" (or maybe a little larger someday? ) market.

I always thought calling the Aura the Aura when you already had the Aura HD was a mistake.

Looks pretty nice, but despite the higher resolution if my Aura HD ever bites the dust I'll be getting a H2O. For me, the form factor is perfect.

Last edited by ottdmk; 04-05-2015 at 08:08 PM.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:48 PM   #26
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking at the images on the Mighty Apes page, they show a date of 2015-Mar-31 so just in time for 2015-Apr-01. Oddly, I noticed the Angus & Robertson page has a Glo HD item with a non-functioning pre-order button.
If you look in the webcache you can see the original page with the price. The Australian retailers Angus & Robertson and Bookworld both had it listed at $179.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:24 AM   #27
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The ebook reader

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...00-ppi-screen/

"One thing that jumps out about the description and specs is there is no mention of a microSD card slot or expandable memory. None of the pictures show any of the edges to see if it has a slot or not."
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:56 AM   #28
Fozziebear40
Fozziebear40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I was just about to plump for an H2O, think I will wait a few weeks. I wonder if the Glo HD will be waterproof to?
Fozziebear40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:03 AM   #29
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Has that stopped you in the past?
No I have sold all of my suplus devices now so I am trying to be good
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #30
Fozziebear40
Fozziebear40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
At least we know what the new product is from those rumours in the latest firmware. I might go for the H2O as I know nothing superior is coming soon
Fozziebear40 is offline   Reply With Quote