Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur
Bob Brunius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW & Kobo H2O
Kobo Aura H2O Full Screen Browser?

I'm trying to use the H2O as a data display. I'm using a javascript call to a server to update a screen on the experimental browser. This is working OK but I really would like to get it full screen to allow the largest font size possible and to do a white on black background for night time viewing. I guess I'm not restricted to using a browser but it was very quick to get to where I am this way. It also works on the Kindle Paperwhite but the PW also has the no full screen issue.

My application is outdoors and wet so the H2O solves that issue but I need to resolve the FS thing.

There is the dual boot thread discussing an android OS with the prospect of a browser like Opera Mini for mobile but I still don't know if that would get to a full screen display.

Anyone have an idea?
Bob Brunius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Writing your own app that talks to the display directly is not an option?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Writing your own app that talks to the display directly is not an option?
How do I go about that? I'm sure you don't mean to write each pixel individually - or if so how is that done, a memory block to write? Is there a documented API for the OS?

I'm not opposed to that I'm just overwhelmed. I'm comfortable with C and Linux.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
If your server is serving html files or image files, why can't you create and/or define them to the dimensions of your device's display? There are minor issues to address bezel overlap and rotation to deal with for your H2o, but that should not be too hard to work out.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
To get the browser into a full-screen mode, you can add "FullScreenBrowser=true" to the "FeatureSettings" section of the config file. But, it removes all the controls and I don't know how to exit from the browser.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2015, 12:00 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if like the Demo Mode on / off there is a keyword you can type in the browser to toggle it?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:14 AM   #7
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
To get the browser into a full-screen mode, you can add "FullScreenBrowser=true" to the "FeatureSettings" section of the config file. But, it removes all the controls and I don't know how to exit from the browser.

I added that line to the Kobe eReader.conf file, restarted and it did nothing to the bowser. It still had the OS menu, the address bar and scroll bars on the ends.

I added it in the [Browser] section. Maybe it should go somewhere else?

Thanks

Last edited by Bob Brunius; 02-23-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:40 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brunius View Post
I added that line to the Kobe eReader.conf file, restarted and it did nothing to the bowser. It still had the OS menu, the address bar and scroll bars on the ends.

I added it in the [Browser] section. Maybe it should go somewhere else?
Well, I did sat the "FeatureSettings" section. But, I keep forgetting that section isn't there by default. You will need to add it.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:47 AM   #9
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

YES! It works full screen. Bless you David!!!!

It's a thing of beauty. I'm going to avoid paying $500 each for display/repeaters for my racing sailboat. This screen can show numbers better than two of those.

Last edited by Bob Brunius; 02-24-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #10
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

It's interesting that jQuery 10 and AJAX calls work but the H2O browser won't allow alert() to work or window.open() Don't matter to me that, just puzzled.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brunius View Post
racing sailboat
Sounds like a great application, please showcase it when you got it up and running.

Although you might need additional protection there. The only thing that makes the H2O "waterproof" is a thin layer of glue all around. I would not expect it to handle waves or currents or anything like that.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #12
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

Does anyone know how to stop the auto sleep?

Here is the H2O compared to my old KVH displays.

[Image violates guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-26-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:39 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Is there anything on the KVH display? Or is the glare hiding it? No matter what, I can't see it as being clearer or easier to read than the H2O's display.

To change the sleep, look at the "sleep and power" page of the settings. Both the sleep and power off can be set to "Never".

If these are missing, it usually means you bought the device somewhere that uses a different affiliate. If so, look in the ".kobo" directory of the device for the file "affiliates.conf". Edit that and change the affiliate to "Kobo". That should return these and a few other options.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

David,

I looked at the affiliate config and it is set to Kobo already.

The word "sleep" doesn't appear anywhere in the "Kobo eReader.conf" file. Can I just add it somewhere?

The KVH display has nothing showing on it. It would have two rows of numbers with the same font size as the Kobo example. Normally the KVH was readable enough but in this case there was a lot of glare that the Kobo never showed. The shot was taken outdoors.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

My "Kobo eReader.conf" file has the following section:

Code:
[PowerOptions]
AutoSleepMinutes=15
FrontLightLevel=10
FullscreenCoverStretch=true
That sets it to sleep after 15 minutes, never power off and the light level is 10%.

Changing the power off to 30 minutes gives:

Code:
[PowerOptions]
AutoOffMinutes=30
AutoSleepMinutes=15
FrontLightLevel=10
But, changing sleep to "Never" gives:

Code:
[PowerOptions]
AutoOffMinutes=0
AutoSleepMinutes=0
FrontLightLevel=10
FullscreenCoverInfoPanel=true
ShowBookCover=true
SleepAccessoryEnabled=true

Absence of the "AutoOffMinutes" and "AutoSleepMinutes" options probably mean "never", but setting them to zero is the same and probably safer. The can be set to other numbers, but I think the maximum is 255. The "FrontLightLevel" is anything from 0 (off) to 100. The other options don't matter. But, leaving "SleepAccessoryEnabled" as true might be handy as you can put a magnet in the right place to put the device to sleep. Or set it to false if that might cause a problem.

Tags
android, aura, browser, full screen, kobo