Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
ukiman
ukiman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch 5th
won't power on

I have a Kindle Keyboard. It's been sitting untouched for years in it's light up case.

I tried to charge it up and power on, but it doesn't want to.

It has the empty battery screen. I tried holding the power switch for over 40 seconds with no changes.

Anything I can do revive it?
ukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Unfortunately the battery is probably dead. If not used over time or charged, some batteries bloat and break.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could try leaving it connected to a wall charger for a couple of days and see if that helps, but the battery is probably dead. You should always periodically recharge a device with a lithium battery even if it's not being actively used.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiman View Post
I have a Kindle Keyboard. It's been sitting untouched for years in it's light up case.

I tried to charge it up and power on, but it doesn't want to.

It has the empty battery screen. I tried holding the power switch for over 40 seconds with no changes.

Anything I can do revive it?
How long did you leave it plugged in before trying to start? It won't start up right away, give it an hour at least.

If still no go google replacing a kindle 3 battery, you will find a video and sources for a new battery.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could try leaving it connected to a wall charger for a couple of days and see if that helps, ...
I've also had a couple eReaders that needed a little higher wattage charger when the battery was completely dead. An old Jetbook I picked up was plugged into a standard USB charger and never charged overnight. Then I went to the charger that came with it — and, within a couple hours, it was up and running.

But check the back of the case to make sure it isn't bulged out. If it is, you need to get the old battery out before its pressure breaks the screen. I bought one from Shop Goodwill that did that.

Batteries aren't particularly hard to replace on Kindle 3s (Keyboards).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxKqr3t35HM

And not too expensive ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMERON-SIN...AAAOSw7m9bHlCN

Last edited by rcentros; 09-20-2018 at 06:31 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #6
ukiman
ukiman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch 5th
I think you guys are right, the battery must be dead or bloated. This happened to an older cellphone I had too.

Must have had it plugged in for two hours or more, but will try again.

I'm only trying to sell it anyway. Been getting rid of things I don't use anymore, and I have 2 more e-readers. I guess spending 10$ to get 25 is better than throwing it away.

Anyone want it as is for 15$? XD
ukiman is offline   Reply With Quote