Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #91
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I have read wherever I was since I was a small child.
I spent over a decade in the military and lived outdoors much of that time.
I still like to be outside.

As I have gotten older I seek the shade more, but i can still lay out on the beach or by the pool reading.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #92
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I do not like to sit outside at restaurants. Around here the smokers eat outside so they can light up and I do not enjoy cigarette smoke with my meals.
Apache
Interesting. Around Atlanta, some restaurants permit smoking, some don't, you can usually tell by looking for ashtrays on the tables. This is both inside and outside. Of course, not all smokers allow the lack of ashtrays keep them from lighting up. Few wait staff are willing to tell a customer that smoking isn't allowed. I'm not terribly fond of the smell of cigarette smoke, so I prefer restaurants that don't allow smoking. Smoking is much more common in bars than restaurants around here.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #93
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
20°(F) is considered extremely cold here. Probably like -20°(F) where you live.
Apache
Depends if there's sun. Even when it's freezing, you can sit outside in your shirtsleeves. As long as there's sun and no wind

I just don't like to sit to read. I want to lay down, preferable on my side. And that's rather difficult outside. Unless you use a hammock!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #94
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Interesting. Around Atlanta, some restaurants permit smoking, some don't, you can usually tell by looking for ashtrays on the tables. This is both inside and outside. Of course, not all smokers allow the lack of ashtrays keep them from lighting up. Few wait staff are willing to tell a customer that smoking isn't allowed. I'm not terribly fond of the smell of cigarette smoke, so I prefer restaurants that don't allow smoking. Smoking is much more common in bars than restaurants around here.
Georgia passed a law in 2005 that restricted smoking in restaurants to outdoor areas only. Smoking is allowed in restaurants but the restrictions are that they be age restricted (18) and must check ID's.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #95
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Depends if there's sun. Even when it's freezing, you can sit outside in your shirtsleeves. As long as there's sun and no wind

I just don't like to sit to read. I want to lay down, preferable on my side. And that's rather difficult outside. Unless you use a hammock!
We have summers that reach 100° (F) with 100% humidity. Winters usually average in the 40's to low 50's during the day and mid to upper 30"s at night. Last winter we had two or three days that dropped below 32°(F). We also have very high humidity in the winter so it tends to feel colder than it is. Winter here is January and February. Summer is from April through September. Yesterday reached 95°(F) with 98% humidity. October tends to be in the 80's. Spring and Fall are nice though.
Apache
Old 09-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #96
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Georgia passed a law in 2005 that restricted smoking in restaurants to outdoor areas only. Smoking is allowed in restaurants but the restrictions are that they be age restricted (18) and must check ID's.
Apache
Yes, but my point is that some restaurants don't permit smoking in outdoor seating either.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #97
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Yes, but my point is that some restaurants don't permit smoking in outdoor seating either.
Yep. In some states, it's not the restaurant that gets to decide, though. It's part of the statute.
How closely that part of the statute is adhered to (and/or enforced) is another story entirely.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #98
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
We have summers that reach 100° (F) with 100% humidity. Winters usually average in the 40's to low 50's during the day and mid to upper 30"s at night. Last winter we had two or three days that dropped below 32°(F). We also have very high humidity in the winter so it tends to feel colder than it is. Winter here is January and February. Summer is from April through September. Yesterday reached 95°(F) with 98% humidity. October tends to be in the 80's. Spring and Fall are nice though.
Apache
There is an old joke about a fellow from Waycross, Georgia who died and went down below. The Devil went to check on him, and found him just whistling away, happy as a lark in all the flames and heat. The Devil asked the fellow, aren't you suffering? Nay, the fellow replied, this heat has nothing on South Georgia summers. So, the Devil thought, I'll get him, I'll make it cold and see how he likes snow and ice! After giving the fellow a few days to really suffer, the Devil looks the fellow up and finds him dancing in the snow. Why are you so happy, the Devil says. "It's snowing in Hades" replied the fellow, "Surely the Falcons must have won the Super Bowl!"
Old 09-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #99
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
There is an old joke about a fellow from Waycross, Georgia who died and went down below. The Devil went to check on him, and found him just whistling away, happy as a lark in all the flames and heat. The Devil asked the fellow, aren't you suffering? Nay, the fellow replied, this heat has nothing on South Georgia summers. So, the Devil thought, I'll get him, I'll make it cold and see how he likes snow and ice! After giving the fellow a few days to really suffer, the Devil looks the fellow up and finds him dancing in the snow. Why are you so happy, the Devil says. "It's snowing in Hades" replied the fellow, "Surely the Falcons must have won the Super Bowl!"

Apache
Old 09-20-2018, 03:29 AM   #100
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I read on the covered patio all the time. The patio faces north, but but the patio door acts like a mirror reflecting the pool, fence, etc. The matte, e-ink screen makes a world of difference.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #101
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Spending summers on a barrier island, yes, I read outside. Searching for "beach" in this thread only returned 4 hits, only one other actually reported reading on the beach. (I always lather up with sunscreen.)

- Yotaphone if I expect to make a call or check the web.
- Sony PRS-350 for its small size, except that its on/off switch has lost its ridges so it's hard to turn on with just a fingernail.
- Kindle K4.
- Paper books when it's not too windy, or for anti-theft reasons (if I expect there will be times with no one to guard against stealing--hey, I was born in Newark NJ)

Autumn on the beach, all covered up with a beach towel, hooded sweatshirt, hat, and sunglasses, with only a sliver of sunscreened face and hands showing, usually with a crisp wind blowing, is my favorite reading time.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #102
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
My Sony PRS-505 came with me to the beach each year until the screen cracked.

Its replacement, a Sony PRS-600 unfortunately had the flawed screens which wouldn't refresh properly in sunlight, so didn't get used quite as much.

A couple of times I'd take my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121 to the beach (usually when I needed a photo reference for a sand sculpture), and it was often used for reading on the deck at the beach house, or for controlling a CNC on my deck --- really miss the transflective display.

My Kindle book collection is getting large enough that my next ereader will likely be a Kindle, though my Samsung Galaxy Book 12 works sort of okay in all but bright direct sunlight (I still don't understand how the tech industry thinks trying to out-bright the sun on a battery powered device is a valid strategy).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #103
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I take my kids to the beach and read in the summer. The kids aren't little anymore and can swim, and there are life guards, and I wouldn't be much of a help if they had trouble as I can't swim even as well as they can. I read. It's a lovely way to spend a summer day.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #104
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
I read while taking a walk on the walking path at work. Not much shade along the path, so I end up reading in the sun. My 6th gen Paperwhite works out pretty well for those conditions.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #105
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Actually the main reason I switched from a Tablet to an E-Ink device was because of reading outside. It was at first the #1 selling point for me.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote