Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer
MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Paperwhite 3; Kobo Aura One, H2O
Question Pocket Articles "Finished" On First Page

Hi folks,

Quick question for you long-time Kobo users...have you ever encountered a situation where you have an article in your Pocket queue that the device refuses to display?

I've had it happen with quite a number of articles now and can't seem to figure out what the issue is. I save the article to Pocket as usual, it shows up on the Kobo in my list (with image, title, reading estimate—everything) but when I go to read it, I can't get past the title page. As soon as I try, I get the pop-up telling me I've finished the article.

Re-downloading the article doesn't help, nor does rebooting the device. The most baffling part is that two articles from the same site will behave differently. One will work perfectly, while the other refuses to display.

I didn't see this in the list of known bugs so I'm wondering if it's somehow just my device that's being weird about it.

Anyone else encounter something like this?
MariusMasalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have a vague memory of seeing it a while ago, but I don't use Pocket much. Do you have an example you can post? Then we can see if it happens to others and maybe look at the code in the article.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer
MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MariusMasalar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure!

Here's an article that doesn't work:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/01/the-gr...teraction.html

And one from the same site that does:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artifi...olution-1.html
Old 03-29-2015, 12:19 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, both are working perfectly on my H2O. And I had a look in the files at the code and couldn't see anything strange.

Have you tried deleting the article from pocket, making sure it disappears from your ereader and the adding it again? If it is a problem in the code on the page, it's possible that Pocket have a cached copy or something and removing it and adding it might trigger a refresh. And thinking of that, it is possible that me adding it to Pocket has caused this to happen as well.

If you want to look at the code in the article on the device, they are in the directory ".kobo/articles". Within that is one directory per article. Inside the directory is and index.html which is the article and a file for each image. For some strange reason, Kobo have dropped the extension from the image files. The directory names are long numbers. The devices database has the details of which is which, or you can just open each until you find the one you want.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Have you tried deleting the article from pocket, making sure it disappears from your ereader and the adding it again? If it is a problem in the code on the page, it's possible that Pocket have a cached copy or something and removing it and adding it might trigger a refresh. And thinking of that, it is possible that me adding it to Pocket has caused this to happen as well.

If you want to look at the code in the article on the device, they are in the directory ".kobo/articles". Within that is one directory per article. Inside the directory is and index.html which is the article and a file for each image. For some strange reason, Kobo have dropped the extension from the image files. The directory names are long numbers. The devices database has the details of which is which, or you can just open each until you find the one you want.
I'll have to try doing this again and having it re-download for real instead of just using the "redownload" item in the menu. If it's working for you then it must just be some sort of caching issue on my end.

I appreciate you taking the time to help...hopefully I can track down the cause.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Hopefully it is something like that.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I am using firmware 3.13.1. If you are using something earlier, there might have been a fix somewhere along the way.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #7
MariusMasalar
Tech Whisperer

Now that's interesting...I appear to be on 3.12.1, but a sync doesn't trigger a firmware update.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusMasalar View Post
Now that's interesting...I appear to be on 3.12.1, but a sync doesn't trigger a firmware update.
3.13.1 is only officially available to Japan as yet which is why your sync likely isn't catching it. You can manually install it by following the links/directions in the "Kobo devolopers" subforum above.
I'd be surprised if .12 to .13 makes a difference on this, but it might be worth a shot. David might be better able to answer if any of the Pocket stuff goes into the database on your device in which case a sign out/sign in might help.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
3.13.1 is only officially available to Japan as yet which is why your sync likely isn't catching it. You can manually install it by following the links/directions in the "Kobo devolopers" subforum above.
I'd be surprised if .12 to .13 makes a difference on this, but it might be worth a shot. David might be better able to answer if any of the Pocket stuff goes into the database on your device in which case a sign out/sign in might help.
I'm not expecting a difference either, but it is a difference between us.

As to the database, there are two records for each Pocket article on the device. They appear to disappear when the article is deleted. I think that if you removed the article from your Pocket account and did a sync, the database records would be removed along with the files. Adding the article again and syncing should bring them back.

Tags
aura, aurah2o, h2o, kobo, pocket