Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
PRS-650/T3 User - Replace battery or buy a new device ?

So ! I have been using my Sony's for years now.... 100% of the time, I throw PDF ebooks on them directly and then use that render option that turns it into nice sony text.... (In sony you just load the book, and resize the font and it automatically renders the text and "sonyfy" it for comfortable browsing (Minus tables, which I don't care for)

The batteries aren't what they used to be.. They diminish after about a week, I remember it used to be much more.

Now, what am I missing by not going to the 2016 + Readers from Amazon and Kobo ?

Are the screens night and day between an Oasis and a Sony or is it "meh, not 250 bucks better" type of experience ?

So. if you recommend a "step up" - Which new device can render PDF's into a local text comfortably ? That would be the most important feature for me

Thanks ahead !
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:50 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Kobo Clara HD ...$130 It is the Newest. Check it out.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:59 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I don't think either the Kobo or Kindle will handle PDFs (natively) as well as the Sonys. Since I use old readers also, I can't really tell you exactly what you would lose (or gain) by going with a 2016+ Kobo or Kindle. In my opinion, for pure build, nothing beats the Sonys. I do have a Tolino Page with the E-Carta screen and it is "whiter" and sharper than the Pearl. That said, it's not that huge of a difference (my E-Carta screen is only 167dpi, however). I do know that Sony screens are more responsive than Kobo screens (at least that the case on the old models I own). That's the biggest drawback (in my opinion) with the Kobo -- the "double tapping" issue. (Maybe it's just an issue for me?)

At any rate, NewPower99 has the battery kits for both the 650 and T3 for $24 each. You might be able to find them cheaper, but that's not too bad.

https://www.newpower99.com/Sony_PRS_...y%20prs-t3.htm

Or (for $11.29) ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-for...0AAOSw4GFbLe7H

https://www.newpower99.com/Sony_PRS_...%20prs-650.htm

Or (for $8.05) ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/eBook-Batte...wAAOSwGGlaoZaj

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

(You'll also lose the Oxford dictionary on the Kobo -- but not the Kindle.)

Last edited by rcentros; 09-25-2018 at 02:21 AM.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:56 AM   #4
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh look at that 9$ for new pack ! I will just swap them both then !
I agree, the only one that "looks" better made than the Sony is that new Oasis, but then, I don't think they can be as good with PDF's huh ? Aren't they mostly designed for premade epubs with perfect formatting ?

I like the metal construction of the Oasis, maybe someday
Old 09-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fif23 View Post
Oh look at that 9$ for new pack ! I will just swap them both then !
I agree, the only one that "looks" better made than the Sony is that new Oasis, but then, I don't think they can be as good with PDF's huh ? Aren't they mostly designed for premade epubs with perfect formatting ?
Just a note. I think with the T-Series batteries you have to solder on the old battery connector. I think the 650 series batteries come out of the box with a connector. It's not obvious from the picture on the T-Series batteries.

Quote:
I like the metal construction of the Oasis, maybe someday
Yeah, the build of the Oasis is nice. I think (personally) if I was to get a "high-end" Kindle, I would choose the Voyage. I just like the "conventional" shape a little better. (Though, if I ever decided to get one, I would probably have to do it fairly soon.)
Old 10-01-2018, 04:39 AM   #6
Fif23
Connoisseur

Hi rcentros
What other current ereaders have metal construction ?
Old 10-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Hi rcentros
What other current ereaders have metal construction ?
I don't know. I've only got old readers without front lights. Sorry.

Well, I do have a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, but that's not particularly new. Although I have been reading on it lately and finding out I can tolerate the light — on this device at least. Maybe my eyes are changing?