Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-28-2023, 05:02 AM   #1
MysteryMan2
MysteryMan2 began at the beginning.

Device: ASUS TF101
Replacement for Calibre Companion?

My current set up is as follows:

I use Calibre on my Windows PC to manage library of eBooks (I think the repository is on Dropbox but can't remember where!)

I use Moon+ Reader Pro on my Android devices (tablet and phone) to read the books. I like this app and it keeps track of reading position so I can swap between the devices quite easily

I use Calibre Companion on the Android devices to access the repository (on Dropbox), browse my books, download to device and kick off the Moon+ Reader app.

This all worked fine for years, but, the latest version of Calibre Companion has broken things as it no longer detects any reader apps. I can work round this but it is not particularly slick.

What I need is another method/app to put on Android that will allow me to interact with the Calibre repository. Any suggestions?
MysteryMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 03:27 PM   #2
MysteryMan2

Sorted!

I have installed Calibre Sync and this seems to do what I need
Advert
Old 04-16-2024, 08:43 PM   #3
akailiajade
akailiajade began at the beginning.

Device: Acer Iconia One 8 Tablet
Add Calibre to Your Net Libraries in Moon+ App to Access Your Calibre Library

I've been searching for an answer to the broken CC problem for months. To my amazement, I think I finally found it!

You can add Calibre to Moon + by giving the app the IP address for your Calibre Library. Just go to Net Libraries and add a new catalogue for Calibre. There's a button to bring up a fill-in-the-blank to add the IP address of your Calibre Library. You can find the IP address of your library under the Content Server information in Calibre.

I don't know how this will work going forward and I take ZERO RESPONSIBILITY for anybody's individual results. But I was so excited to be able to access my Calibre books again, that I just had to share!

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMan2 View Post
My current set up is as follows:

I use Calibre on my Windows PC to manage library of eBooks (I think the repository is on Dropbox but can't remember where!)

I use Moon+ Reader Pro on my Android devices (tablet and phone) to read the books. I like this app and it keeps track of reading position so I can swap between the devices quite easily

I use Calibre Companion on the Android devices to access the repository (on Dropbox), browse my books, download to device and kick off the Moon+ Reader app.

This all worked fine for years, but, the latest version of Calibre Companion has broken things as it no longer detects any reader apps. I can work round this but it is not particularly slick.

What I need is another method/app to put on Android that will allow me to interact with the Calibre repository. Any suggestions?
akailiajade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:23 AM   #4
MysteryMan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akailiajade View Post
I've been searching for an answer to the broken CC problem for months. To my amazement, I think I finally found it!

You can add Calibre to Moon + by giving the app the IP address for your Calibre Library. Just go to Net Libraries and add a new catalogue for Calibre. There's a button to bring up a fill-in-the-blank to add the IP address of your Calibre Library. You can find the IP address of your library under the Content Server information in Calibre.

I don't know how this will work going forward and I take ZERO RESPONSIBILITY for anybody's individual results. But I was so excited to be able to access my Calibre books again, that I just had to share!

Good luck!
This sounds interesting and will definitely give it a try. However, I failed at the first hurdle! Can you explain how "You can find the IP address of your library under the Content Server information in Calibre.", please?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2024, 12:30 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
This sounds interesting and will definitely give it a try. However, I failed at the first hurdle! Can you explain how "You can find the IP address of your library under the Content Server information in Calibre.", please?

Thanks
Calibre => Preferences => Sharing over the Net => Start server. The status line in the pane will show the server IP address and port.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Content_server.png
Views:	32
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	207729  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2024, 06:56 AM   #6
MysteryMan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Calibre => Preferences => Sharing over the Net => Start server. The status line in the pane will show the server IP address and port.
Thanks for reply.

Not sure this is going to work for me as I keep my Calibre library on Dropbox.

The IP address I see when I "Start Server" is a local one on my PC (192.168.1.180)!

Would I need to have my PC running in order to use your technique?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2024, 07:53 AM   #7
akailiajade

Find Address of Calibre Content Server

Quote:

Thanks
Hi MM!

Yes. Go to the menu at the top of the screen in Calibre. Click on CONNECT/SHARE. When the drop-down opens, select START CONTENT SERVER. Calibre will take you back to the menu. Click CONNECT/SHARE again, & you will see a selection to STOP CONTENT SERVER. Directly to the right of that, you will see the server address.

I wish there was a way to paste an image here. It would make things so much easier! I think I've given you the information you need to find the address. Let me know if it works for you.

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2024, 08:30 AM   #8
akailiajade

Yes, you do have to have the PC running to access the server. I've been overcoming this hurdle by importing my books into my phone/tablet. I have tons of storage on both devices so this is a viable option for me. I recognize that it may not be for you. My library is about 1200 books. I like being able to browse my entire library for an unread book, or to reread a favorite book.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:32 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Not sure this is going to work for me as I keep my Calibre library on Dropbox.
Please move your library back to local storage. Using network attached storage for your library is asking to have problems. See I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS? in the calibre FAQs.

The messages posted here about such errors generally start "I've kept my library on <NAS, storage service of your choice, whatever> for years and now my library will not mount or I can't see any books in it, etc.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote