Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-27-2015, 03:15 AM   #1
vincetherookie
vincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx T68 (Bertl GPS mod)
Lightbulb T68 for DIY E-ink GPS on a motorcycle

Hi folks,
I want to share a first video of the GPS mod of my T68

https://youtu.be/GYYqWSB-Sk8

Cheers, Vince

Last edited by vincetherookie; 07-06-2015 at 01:20 AM. Reason: smaller image size
vincetherookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Congratulations, this thing looks great! How many hours of work went into it? How do you get the gps signal - does the T68 have it built in? How did you waterproof the case, including the ports?

I have had the idea of doing something similar with a rooted Nook Simple Touch, but the lack of GPS radio turned me off.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
vincetherookie
vincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the roughvincetherookie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Congratulations, this thing looks great! How many hours of work went into it? How do you get the gps signal - does the T68 have it built in? How did you waterproof the case, including the ports?
Thanks
Well it took a few hours but that's what hobbies are for, right
The initial idea was to CNC the case from one piece of polycarbonate but I changed plans as it would become way more expensive. So now it's a kind of sandwich construction made of lasercut aluminium parts.

This first version is not waterproof as the sides are still open. In a next version this gap will be filled with some plastic (CNC or 3D printed). For making the gap around the display waterproof I think I will use some glue/silicone.
The GPS signal is supplied by a Nokia LD3W Bluetooth GPS receiver. It has its own battery and lasts at least a day.
There are not many Ereader or E-ink tablets which are that easy to use for GPS and have hardware buttons so I went for this Onyx.
For more info on how it is build check www.bertl.bike.

Cheers, Vince
Old 07-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

vincetherookie
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:40 AM   #5
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Hi Vince,

Awesome work. Perhaps you should consider laser cutting premium replacement cases for onyx devices themselves, low profile edges round the screen, brushed aluminium, gold plated buttons etc. Good luck with your enterprise, I hope the take-up is good.

What mapping software do you use with your reader? I noticed in your videos that you have to press the buttons to pan the map which does not seem very safe.

I don't own a motorbike, but your idea made me think about using eink on my pushbike. Unfortunately Onyx E43 looks like a failed attempt, YotaPhone is too premium and has the unnecessary regular second screen, could InkCase be the answer? Available from October apparently.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
vincetherookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Hi Vince,

Awesome work. Perhaps you should consider laser cutting premium replacement cases for onyx devices themselves, low profile edges round the screen, brushed aluminium, gold plated buttons etc. Good luck with your enterprise, I hope the take-up is good.

What mapping software do you use with your reader? I noticed in your videos that you have to press the buttons to pan the map which does not seem very safe.

I don't own a motorbike, but your idea made me think about using eink on my pushbike. Unfortunately Onyx E43 looks like a failed attempt, YotaPhone is too premium and has the unnecessary regular second screen, could InkCase be the answer? Available from October apparently.
Thanks
I'm using OsmAnd and it works but since it's not designed for e-ink (as all mapping software in the store) the user experience is not perfect. But the advantage of the having an e-ink screen on my bike outweighs this disadvantage. I hope that that some day an app developer dives in to this
I usually drive with the map(+track) zoomed out quite far and map centred, so I don't need to pan. But even panning is not a problem with the large screen and hardware buttons. I can keep my eyes on the road and just hit the button a couple of times.
Cheers, Vince
Old 06-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Proof of concept
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T68_GPS.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	157333  
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I met this thread a few weeks ago, and I loved the idea.
I made it work this evening.
I am using OruxMaps on a T68 (*) connected through BlueTooth to the GPS of a telephone, through com.jillybunch.shareGPS and com.Saenko.GpsOverBt.
Now it is a matter of checking whether the system is battery efficient for normal use on a car.

* BTW the T68 flashed with the 1.8.2 found at Booxtor's is amazing.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #9
mdp
Wizard

Today I tried it in a "real world scenario".
Apparently, to send the GPS signal via BlueTooth com.jillybunch.shareGPS is sufficient (the other software earlier mentioned does not seem to communicate to OruxMaps).
The "telephone" (GPS+BT) seems to consume a meager or acceptable 120mAh. It would be nice - simpler and more efficient - to have a GPS radio on the tablet, but on the other hand most people will carry a telephone anyway, and the communication does not consume that much.
The T68 seemed to consume between 5% to 10% of battery per hour, but the measures did not look well calibrated.
I could not find an option to update the GPS data less frequently than every two seconds - again for battery efficiency -, but it must be possible.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
mdp
Wizard

The T68 exhausted the battery after around 7hrs of mixed use, but solely as maps viewer and GPS receiver.
As stated, I believe the stats could improve if I found a way to update the screen less frequently (the GPS cursor updates every 2 seconds).
I posted a note about this on Orux's forum - although, for reasons of post vetting, it is not published yet...

Last edited by mdp; 06-18-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #11
mdp
Wizard

The great Orux himself replied a little ago, on their forums ( oruxmaps.com/foro/ ; subject: "Limit GPS update frequency for use on EPD screens"). It seems that the next version of OruxMaps will be a bit more EPD oriented - screen update after external GPS signal will be configurable.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:14 AM   #12
mdp
Wizard

The project seems to show capable of a pretty stable implementation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car_gps.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	157828  
Old 07-09-2017, 01:21 AM   #13
mdp
Wizard

I now used (and on a different telephone, although this should be irrelevant) a setting of 8 seconds as "GPS timer" option in com.jillybunch.shareGPS : this actually was reflected in the screen update, slower as I intended.
Nonetheless, the T68 seems to work as a map/geo-positioner device, OruxMaps based, for about 6 hours. Which, then again, is not really a problem, having the ability to keep it charged through the car battery.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #14
mdp
Wizard

A few cursors optimized for the EPD screen (more visible than the original red arrow):
place them in /sdcard/oruxmaps/cursors
and pick them in the [settings] > User interface > Cursor > Gps Cursor icon
Attached Images

Last edited by mdp; 07-29-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #15
mdp
Wizard

More cursors for EPD (semi-transparent inner area):
Attached Images

Tags
bertl, gps, t68