Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I just got my new Sony PRS 505!

My very first actual ebook reader arrived yesterday. And it is such a delightful gadget.

So what was my first ebook reader experience like?

I could read off the screen fine without strain, and I was reading in bed with only a small lamp on.

I did have to bump up the font size to the highest setting (which I still would not call big) but it was readable.

I must say that I was not in love with pushing the little button to turn the page. I also did not like how the advance page was on top of the reverse page button. I think it would be more comfortable to reverse the placement of these buttons. I was always worried I'd push the back button by mistake.

I think the Sony 505 is a very attractive gadget. I really like how the cover closes it like a book and the leather cover makes it look very elegant and sophisticated.

When I told my mom how attractive it was, it made her reconsider the Sony. She's leaning toward Kindle because of its wireless connectivity, but she does agree that it is ugly, which, in a stereotypical female way, is an issue!

I'm looking forward to loading up the library in my 505 and always having something on hand to read.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Enjoy your new 505! Let your mom get the Kindle for the 30 day trial so she can compare the two head to head.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Glad to hear you like the 505. You'll get used to things like button placement after a bit and, if you're like me, will soon forget it was a concern.

Also, that's good advice about the Kindle
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
I must say that I was not in love with pushing the little button to turn the page. I also did not like how the advance page was on top of the reverse page button. I think it would be more comfortable to reverse the placement of these buttons. I was always worried I'd push the back button by mistake.
Sounds like you would prefer the Kindle button arangement.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Glad you like your Reader. I got used to the buttons after a day or so and now I don't even notice which one I am pressing, my fingers go there automatically.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
In fact, I got so used to the 505 that I soon found myself absentmindedly sliding my finger up to the top right corner pf the reader to turn the page.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
If you use Calibre to convert your ebooks (even ones that are already in sony format, I think?) you can specify the smallest font size. That way, you could make your smallest font size (default) to be larger and uniform across your books. I love Calibre, could not love the Reader without it.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Congrats on your new device!

I too love my 505. And it only took me a little while to get used to the page turn buttons. I don't know which ones I use more, the two buttons at the right or the round button on the left. It just depends on how I'm sitting/holding my reader at the time.

Have fun!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
My very first actual ebook reader arrived yesterday. And it is such a delightful gadget.
AWSOME! Welcome to the club.

Quote:
I was always worried(emphasis by =X=) I'd push the back button by mistake.
Well to ease your worries the worst that will happen is you go back one page.
You'll get use to the page navigation quick. What I really like about the navigation buttons is that there are two different sets of buttons so that each hand can advance/reverse. This really helps when reading for long periods.

Quote:
She's leaning toward Kindle because of its wireless connectivity,
but she does agree that it is ugly, which, in a stereotypical female way, is an issue!
Every time I hear how ugly the Kindle is I feel like such a geek. The ugly factor did not once cross my mind when looking into these devices. To be honest I still don't get why the Kindle is ugly. I just agree with everyone just to be hip

Well if it is not too much of a hassle you should let her to buy the Kindle to really compare the two devices and see which one you like. Then before the 30 day eval period expires either return it or keep it.

BTW Happy reading. Don't hesitate to post any questions or further testimonials. The group here at MobileRead always happy to help.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
Jelis
Enthusiast
Jelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enoughJelis will become famous soon enough

Device: sony 505
Glad you like your reader, I have had mine now for almost 2 weeks. The next/last page buttons for me are in the right place. The only little problem I'm still having is that, occasionally, my eyes turn to the upper part of the left page when I turn pages... oh yes, right, there is no left page. May be, if my little problem persists, Sony will consider making a 'double-paged-reader'...

Jelis
Jelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Every time I hear how ugly the Kindle is I feel like such a geek. The ugly factor did not once cross my mind when looking into these devices. To be honest I still don't get why the Kindle is ugly. I just agree with everyone just to be hip
I thinkiit's more that the Kindle isn't sleek! If you look at how cellular phones have changed in the past year, you'll see the trend toward a sleek and smooth design. The Kindle isn't. It's got sharp angles and it's unashamedly plastic rather than metal or a metallic-looking plastic or composite.

I bought for usefulness rather than spending any time thinking about the appearance. I wish the Kindle's case were grey -- about the color of the background of the eInk screen -- and it would visually disappear when reading. The white plastic looks like they had a bunch left over from old computer peripherals and used it up!

And -- since it's the type of plastic that it is, you can't get neat skins for it. Neither brand of the silicone skins appeal to me, and the sticker guys don't have cool racing stripes for the Kindle. Oh well.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I just had an idea -- we could hold a "Pimp my Kindle" contest! Or make it generic "Pimp my eBook reader" contest.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:56 PM   #13
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I just had an idea -- we could hold a "Pimp my Kindle" contest! Or make it generic "Pimp my eBook reader" contest.
I wonder if you can get a Kindle shell yet?

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I thinkiit's more that the Kindle isn't sleek! If you look at how cellular phones have changed in the past year, you'll see the trend toward a sleek and smooth design. The Kindle isn't. It's got sharp angles and it's unashamedly plastic rather than metal or a metallic-looking plastic or composite.
Okay I get it. Good explanation. Also a confirmation I'm a geek here is my phone
as oppose to what is a cool phone

Quote:
That would be hilarious. I would like to see that event.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #15
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Okay I get it. Good explanation. Also a confirmation I'm a geek here is my phone
as oppose to what is a cool phone

That would be hilarious. I would like to see that event.

=X=
I can see it now, A kindle with a big gold chain, or wrapped in a pink fur coat. Oh wait that is a real pimp. Never mind

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony 505 experience