Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
Sassipo
Enthusiast
Sassipo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook, Ipad, Ipad mini, Kobo Clara HD
Kobo Clara HD and 3rd party books

Can anyone tell me how I can get epubs, not purchased from Kobo, on my Clara. The epubs download onto my Kobo app on my iphone but do not come up on my Clara,,,,,,I bought her specifically for that as I can no longer spend a long time reading on my iphone due to a bad spell of dry eye sydrome....
Sassipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Assuming the epubs are DRM free since you have them sync to your phone: you can plug the Clara into your computer with a micro USB cable. After you confirm connection on the pop up you see on the Clara’s screen, the Clara will show up on your computer just like an external hard drive or USB stick would. You just copy the epubs onto the “Kobo eReader” drive (I think that’s what the name is that shows up but it might be something similar). After you’ve done copying, safely eject the Clara like you would with a USB cable, and the Clara will start importing your books.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Pretty much what Mrs_Often said but I would recommend creating a sub-directory and copying your books there instead of copying directly to the root directory.

Once you start building up your ebook collection, I would also recommend looking into calibre to manage your ebooks and metadata.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
Sassipo
Enthusiast

Thank you both for your help! I am an avid reader, have been for years....however I hate to say I am a bit intimidated with Calibre....I must have over 7000 books between my kindle, nook, kobo and ibooks that I need to get on there as I am all over the place.....I will tackle one at a time starting with the kobo books....
Old 12-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassipo View Post
Can anyone tell me how I can get epubs, not purchased from Kobo, on my Clara. The epubs download onto my Kobo app on my iphone but do not come up on my Clara
Are both the Kobo app and device signed into the same Kobo account? They should download to both. I don't use the iOS app much, but, opening it now it shows all the books I have purchased from Kobo (Ok, I haven't checked them all, but it is a long list of books and the one I am currently reading at the top) and updated the reading status to match what is on my Aura ONE.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2018, 02:06 AM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
....however I hate to say I am a bit intimidated with Calibre....

I can understand that. Calibre is very powerful and all the millions of options can be rather overwhelming. However, Calibre also works perfectly if you ignore everything about it that you don’t understand. With 7000 books it is really worth trying to ignore the intimidating part! Just drag-drop some books into the Calibre window —- that’s all, now you’re using Calibre
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
Sassipo
Enthusiast

Do I need to download all my books onto my computer to use Calibre then transfer them?

The books I have on my Kobo app on my iphone were not purchased from Kobo....I called Kobo and they said that books that purchased from Kobo will not go into their cloud even if they are on the phone app so I can't open them on my Clara.....
Old 12-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Do I need to download all my books onto my computer to use Calibre then transfer them?

The books I have on my Kobo app on my iphone were not purchased from Kobo....I called Kobo and they said that books that purchased from Kobo will not go into their cloud even if they are on the phone app so I can't open them on my Clara.....
If you use Caliber, then yes, the books do have to be on the computer as well. And if they have DRM, you'll need to install Calibre plug-ins to remove the DRM. Since you were able to send and open these ePubs on your phone, it sounds like they don't have DRM.

I buy all of my books from Amazon, download them to my computer with an older version of Kindle for PC and drop the books in Calibre. I can then sideload those books onto my Kobo. It might sound overwhelming at first, but it really isn't bad. Once you set it up once, you're done. Calibre is very handy to use with a Kobo. They play very well together.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-03-2018 at 01:21 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
Sassipo
Enthusiast

Thank you for that!!!!! I will start with Calibre this weekend.....I will add just a few to get a grip on it and then add them in little by little....I also like the fact that I can see everything I have rather than using Goodreads.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for that!!!!! I will start with Calibre this weekend.....I will add just a few to get a grip on it and then add them in little by little....I also like the fact that I can see everything I have rather than using Goodreads.
Yeah, it's nice having all of your books from Amazon, B&N and Kobo in a single location.

Now before you start adding books from those stores, you'll need to learn about Calibre's DRM plug-ins. But before you do that, maybe just install Calibre, import your DRM-free ePubs and get comfortable with the platform.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #11
Sassipo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, it's nice having all of your books from Amazon, B&N and Kobo in a single location.

Now before you start adding books from those stores, you'll need to learn about Calibre's DRM plug-ins. But before you do that, maybe just install Calibre, import your DRM-free ePubs and get comfortable with the platform.
I will do that!!!! have a wonderful afternoon and thank you again....
Old 12-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
...Since you were able to send and open these ePubs on your phone, it sounds like they don't have DRM...
The one thing I worry about is that some of these books may have been bought from Apple (iTunes?). I don't know how easy it is to handle Apple DRM in Calibre.

That said, I just want to second, third, fourth (hundreth?) what everyone else says about Calibre, it's an amazing application. And I don't understand or use probably 95% of its features.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:16 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The one thing I worry about is that some of these books may have been bought from Apple (iTunes?). I don't know how easy it is to handle Apple DRM in Calibre.
Yeah, I purposely didn't mention Apple. I've never bought a book from them. Last I'd heard, you couldn't crack their DRM. Not sure if that is still so.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Someone got something backwards. Books you by from Kobo are automatically in their cloud. They will be listed on all the apps and devices that are signed in the same Kobo account. You can download the books by tapping on them. The reading status is synced automatically between them.

Nothing about books sideloaded to the devices, or imported to the apps is synced to the Kobo cloud.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #15
Sassipo
Enthusiast

That is correct..... that is why I was trying to find out how I could get books purchased from other sites on my Clara hd....