Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #31
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It could be enabled on the Oasis with older firmware, but I believe that it is a new feature for other Kindle models.
The what's new says that it is part of the 5.10.1.1 firmware update.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #32
her3814
her3814 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
On my PaperWhite 3, this firmware fixed problems with page flip,which didn't show pages miniatures when pressing.the right button
her3814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #33
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
The what's new says that it is part of the 5.10.1.1 firmware update.
The battery percentage was visible on the Oasis in the last firmware, but only if you had enabled the display with the large icons within the settings. Ditto the labels under the icons in the menu bar.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #34
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I wonder what it means by Performance improvements and other general enhancements --- things we won't notice, or something worthy?

I'm excited to see the new home screen and personalization.

I thought Returning Borrowed Books was added in the last firmware?
I’m hoping they mean better battery life! It seems good so far...

Returning borrowed books was added in the last firmware, but maybe this option is an extra one enabled for the Kindle Owners Lending Library?
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #35
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
After some fiddling with it, I think the theme settings feature is a really elegant approach to custom settings for different books. Not merely a replication of the analogue book (where every item has its own settings) but a nice adaptation for digital text.
I am also pleased with this way of managing reading settings.

It is a shame that it adds an extra step for changing font size. However, my most frequent change is going between portrait and landscape, and for that it not only reduces the number of presses, but also makes it feel quicker and more intuitive - I can do it with less thought. It's not just the number of button presses required that matters, but also the contents of each menu/page, which affects how intuitive the process feels and how likely it is to require thought.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #36
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Thanks to all. I'm old and wondered if I'd just missed the percentage display.

I agree with the extra step in adjusting font sizes, font type, or bolding being irritating. I'm afraid boring old me uses the same settings for all my books.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-18-2018 at 07:40 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #37
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I updated both our Voyages and my Oasis 2 this morning and I like the update, particularly the new home screen.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #38
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
The home screens on my Oasis2 and my basic look totally different. Besides the 3 covers on top with my reading list next. Below I get a rec to follow a specific author, mystery in KU, books I want to read which is my own list from goodreads and a tidbit on the bottom. It says the longest book title consists of 1809 words.

That is on my Oasis.

On my basic I get
same top with 3 covers and my reading lists.

Below is recommended for you, get early access to free books (first reads), new releases in kindle store, most wished for kindle books.

I am updating my Voyage now. Can't wait to see what I get on it

eta: Oh dear. On my basic, cannot swipe past the home screen to go to my library. I have to actually use the drop down. That is a bug totally. Its actually the same on the Oasis, but on it I can use the buttons. But you cannot swipe past the home screen anymore.

Tested Voyage, same thing. Only devices with buttons can get past the home screen without having to use the drop down. Swiping does not work.

eta: I been able to use the back arrow on the top to go between the home page and the library view on the basic. So its a bit less steps than having to use the drop down.

eta: I am an idiot. You can of course also use the link above the cover that says "your library" someone just pointed that out to me. Duh. Still I am used to using the buttons to go past so I didn't even notice that link like ever.

Last edited by Atunah; 10-18-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #39
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
The home screens on my Oasis2 and my basic look totally different. Besides the 3 covers on top with my reading list next. Below I get a rec to follow a specific author, mystery in KU, books I want to read which is my own list from goodreads and a tidbit on the bottom. It says the longest book title consists of 1809 words.

That is on my Oasis.

On my basic I get

Below is recommended for you, get early access to free books (first reads), new releases in kindle store, most wished for kindle books.

eta: Oh dear. On my basic, cannot swipe past the home screen to go to my library. I have to actually use the drop down. That is a bug totally. Its actually the same on the Oasis, but on it I can use the buttons. But you cannot swipe past the home screen anymore.

I had a feeling we were all seeing something different.

I have nothing about First Reads, but if I click 'View Special Offers' on my Menu Drop Down I can see the option on Page 5. What's funny is by clicking Amazon First Reads, it tells me about the program but leaves it blank with no books. Ugh. I am not a Prime Member so perhaps that is why? I use my mother's prime account when I want to, but it's not associated with my account so I miss out on that Prime Reading Feature. Either it's left off my Paperwhite due to that, or else just the Paperwhite 3 Update doesn't have the option. I do look at the FirstRead ads and previews through Goodreads site.

Today I have something new on my Homepage. At the bottom I have Most Wished for Kindle Books, that wasn't there last night,so maybe it changes.

Still no stats or reading trends for me personally.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #40
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are we suppose to get stats? I don't recall reading about stats. Would be nice, but I didn't expect that.
Quote:
Swipe-able Home: Swipe up on your home screen to see additional tips, recommendations, and more based on your reading habits.
I don't think they mean stats here. Just recs and tidbits. Who knows what they mean by more.

And yes, if you are a prime member, you get a list of the first reads books that are free right now. I see them.

I am the only one that uses all my kindles and all 3 shows different home. On my Voyage have things like more like book I had bought, more like "book I started", recs for me, most wished. I don't read on all devices, mostly on my Oasis2. I haven't updated my Oasis1 yet. I guess I'll have 4 different homes then.

I do like the "more like" as its based on bought or at least read. I expect this to adjust more as time goes on.

Of course its all optional. Anyone that doesn't care or want this, turn off home view in settings.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #41
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Are we suppose to get stats? I don't recall reading about stats. Would be nice, but I didn't expect that.

I don't think they mean stats here. Just recs and tidbits. Who knows what they mean by more.
It was mentioned in the press release for the new Paperwhite:

Quote:
An updated home—The new home experience makes it easier to find your next read based on your reading history, including books that are free for you to read from Kindle Unlimited or Prime Reading. You can also view reading accomplishments, like how many days in the past month you’ve read, as well as fun facts and tips so you can get the most out of your device.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #42
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It was mentioned in the press release for the new Paperwhite:
Yes, that's what I had read and was looking for/expecting with the update.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #43
Atunah
Wizard

Hmm, I would really like that. But they didn't put it in the actual release notes. Maybe its not part of the update yet? I like those stats.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #44
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

That is on my Oasis.

On my basic I get

Tested Voyage, same thing. Only devices with buttons can get past the home screen without having to use the drop down. Swiping does not work.

eta: I been able to use the back arrow on the top to go between the home page and the library view on the basic. So its a bit less steps than having to use the drop down.

eta: I am an idiot. You can of course also use the link above the cover that says "your library" someone just pointed that out to me. Duh. Still I am used to using the buttons to go past so I didn't even notice that link like ever.
I also have different home screens on my Voyage and Oasis.

I can get from my homescreen on either by pressing Your Library just above the bigger book icon, if not using real or haptic buttons, but you are right it can't be done by swiping. So the Your Library option will be the only one to use on a PW.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #45
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
I also have different home screens on my Voyage and Oasis.

I can get from my homescreen on either by pressing Your Library just above the bigger book icon, if not using real or haptic buttons, but you are right it can't be done by swiping. So the Your Library option will be the only one to use on a PW.
If Your Library link has scrolled off-screen, you can also get there by using the menu (3 dots), which has a Your Library link there as well.

I didn’t ever use the Old Home screen and won’t use this either. Still I’d like to visit it once in awhile, and it would be nice if there were a menu link to go there instead of having to turn the Setting on to do so.

I did not notice it before, but for Kindles that support Audible, there is a way to prevent Audible titles from appearing in Library lists: Settings|Device Options|Advanced Options|Home & Library. You can turn on the Audible filter to see them, download etc. and titles with audiobook companions (with headphone icon) have a Download Audible option in their context menu.

Still disappointed you cannot listen and read simultaneously, but maybe they are planning to add that later.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote