Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2018, 01:10 AM   #106
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post

It's also worth noting that Kobo has no problems with indexing.
Kobo also doesn't have an option to search within all your books, that's why they don't have indexing problems. For me personally the global search option is invaluable.

And yes, it's been mentioned in this thread several times already.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:55 AM   #107
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Same for me, while indexing is a pain while it is going on, the benefits of being able to search so flexibly are worth it. I don't see this as a problem that needs fixing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kobo also doesn't have an option to search within all your books, that's why they don't have indexing problems. For me personally the global search option is invaluable.

And yes, it's been mentioned in this thread several times already.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #108
tegelad
tegelad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo elipse2e, sage, libra2, forma amazon oasis3, scribe, boox ult c
Thanks again for this most excellent thread!

As a reference I just got the KO3 and learned something new. After getting it I let the index covers of the books come in first before attempting to download any of them. I do realize that this doesn't prevent the slow imaging and indexing from occurring, but if you have an OCD (like I do), it did help.

So my process was ... login prove it works, factory reset[optional], and then scroll through the All section and wait until all covers are loaded. Note: This will only work for no sideloaded books .....
tegelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #109
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I bought my KO2 mainly so I could have a larger proportion of my Ebook library (which is in Calibre) on it. I’ve learnt a few things over the last 48h which may be of interest to others, so I thought I’d share them.

Firstly, you need to know how to check if the Kindle is currently busy indexing books. To do this, tap the “search” box from the library screen, and enter a nonsense search string. When the results screen appears (which will show zero matches if you’ve entered a random nonsense search string) if “Text in Books” is highlighted, tap it, and it will say “NNN books not yet indexed” (should that be the case). Tap that line, and it’ll show you what the books are.

1. The Kindle’s behaviour is erratic while it’s indexing. Tap a book in the library, and it may take a very long time to open, or the entire device may appear to hang up. That’s because the CPU is busy indexing. If it does appear to have hung up, press the power button, wait about a minute, then press it again. That should bring things back to life again. Because of this, I’d strongly suggest waiting for the Kindle to finish indexing before using it.

2. Indexing is CPU-intensive, and hence power-hungry. When indexing, the Kindle will probably drain the battery in well under a day. Leave it connected to a wall-charger while it’s indexing.

3. The Kindle can index approximately 100 books an hour (depending on their size). Do as I (foolishly) did and load 2000 books at once, and the Kindle will be tied up for around 24h indexing them! It’s a lot better to load batches of around 100 books at a time and wait for each batch to finish indexing before loading the next batch. Another reason to do this is...

4. The indexing process can very occasionally hang up (it’s not happened to me on the KO2, but it has on earlier Kindles). If the number of books remaining to be indexed freezes for an hour or more, try rebooting the Kindle. If that still doesn’t free up the indexer, you’ll need to delete the books that are awaiting indexing and re-add them. That’s why it’s advisable to add your books in fairly small batches, and also add them in identifiable batches (eg authors starting with a certain letter), so you’ll know what to delete! Before panicking, though, note that very large books (such as some of the enormous Delphi collections) can take a very long time to index. If your recent batch of books contains a 50MB Delphi omnibus, don’t worry if the indexer appears to freeze for half an hour - it’s just processing that huge book.

5. The more books you have on your Kindle, the longer newly-added books will take to index. I’ve found that with 3000 books on my KO2, indexing is about 50% slower than it was when the device was empty.

After two days, I’ve loaded authors with surnames up to the letter “I” on my Kindle (some 3500 books), so it’s probably going to take another 3 or 4 days to finish loading my library.

The good news is that the Kindle performs very well with large numbers of books in the library (provided it’s finished indexing them!). Nothing obvious slows down in normal use. Searches are very quick, and books open virtually instantly.

Based on what I’ve loaded so far, a rough calculation suggests that it would probably be possible to store around 13-14000 books on the 32GB KO2. A significant proportion of my books, though, are (very) large omnibus editions, which pushes my average book size up a lot. If you read short novels, you could probably fit 20,000+ on!

Hope that’s of some interest to others.

Hugely helpful, thank you Harry! Considering buying a new Kindle Oasis, here, coming from a Kobo Aura.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #110
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Hugely helpful, thank you Harry! Considering buying a new Kindle Oasis, here, coming from a Kobo Aura.
One other note not made above, while not plugged into the wall, power-hungry tasks like indexing are throttled and run only very slowly: still fast enough that a single book purchase takes only a few minutes and even a pulse of a dozen books coming down is fairly easy to ignore, but definitely not good enough for big bulk loads (which do, after all, tend only to happen a few times in the lifetime of the device). Plugging it in will intrinsically speed up indexing as well as stopping it from running out of power while it does so.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2020, 05:28 AM   #111
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Thank You so much for that useful information, Harry. I was wondering why the battery of my Oasis 3 was draining and thought something might be wrong with it.

In fact I was loading a number of those Delphi sets at once.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #112
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Voyage, iPad Pro 11
Oddly enough, I don’t recall seeing HarryT around in some time...
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #113
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
Oddly enough, I don’t recall seeing HarryT around in some time...
The last time I remember seeing a message from him was summer 2019.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:30 AM   #114
itmustbemiriam
itmustbemiriam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi all! I know this is a dead thread but I found it while trying to troubleshoot my indexing problems on my 11th gen Paperwhite. Just wanted to throw out there into the void that removing my books and uploading them piecemeal for re-indexing wasn't working, but I found this reddit thread which did solve my problems. TLDR: plug the kindle into your computer, manually delete all the files from the Search Index folder, which forces a reindex.

Just in case it helps someone else searching Al Gore's internet for answers!
itmustbemiriam is offline   Reply With Quote