Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 08-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
50gbdelibros
50gbdelibros began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Making the Calibre content server secure

Hello everyone,

I have a Mac Mini that is running 24/7 on the home WIFI network with the Calibre content server running. I've been able to successfully access books through my laptop and iPad.

A few questions about Calibre security:

By default, is the content server reachable from anywhere in the world? I'm concerned that having Calibre running 24/7 allows hackers an additional access point to the Mac Mini and or the entire WIFI network (9+ devices).

If I would like to make the books available to any device from around the world, how can I make sure my network is secured so that only the books can be accessed and not other files?

Just how secure is Calibre in general?

Thank you!
50gbdelibros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50gbdelibros View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a Mac Mini that is running 24/7 on the home WIFI network with the Calibre content server running. I've been able to successfully access books through my laptop and iPad.

A few questions about Calibre security:

By default, is the content server reachable from anywhere in the world? I'm concerned that having Calibre running 24/7 allows hackers an additional access point to the Mac Mini and or the entire WIFI network (9+ devices).

If I would like to make the books available to any device from around the world, how can I make sure my network is secured so that only the books can be accessed and not other files?

Just how secure is Calibre in general?

Thank you!
My content server is NOT accessible to the world until I open a (specific port) pinhole in my router (which is not just left enabled 24/7).
Use any of the other features your router provides to outside control access when possible. (Like Time of day, only these defined MAC addresses...)

If all your devices are compatible with Calibres scure Password system: use that. (this is usually the big blocker)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
hackers, security