Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
Frenchguy
Enthusiast
Frenchguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Inserting special symbols

Hello,

When editing pages, is there a way to insert symbols, such as these ones, which are not in Calibre Edit Menu ?
Frenchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchguy View Post
Hello,

When editing pages, is there a way to insert symbols, such as these ones, which are not in Calibre Edit Menu ?
Those might be Images (jpg, Gif) or they could be Wingdings (OTF) , in which case, you might need to embed the font.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
Frenchguy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Those might be Images (jpg, Gif) or they could be Wingdings (OTF) , in which case, you might need to embed the font.
They are not images but windings. I thought I would find them then in the list of special characters menu edit)
Old 11-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
They are not images but windings. I thought I would find them then in the list of special characters menu edit)
There is something CLOSE under Miscellaneous Symbols and Arrows

IIRC Wingdings is a Licensed font that just happens to be included in Windows (can be printed, but not embedded without permission)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
There are special characters very much like those you linked to in Calibre:

Edit window > Edit > Insert Special Character > Mathematical Symbols > Arrows
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
Frenchguy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
There are special characters very much like those you linked to in Calibre:

Edit window > Edit > Insert Special Character > Mathematical Symbols > Arrows

Yes, this is what I was referring to. But these symbols are not included. Other are not as thick and clear
Old 11-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
What you are looking for is the "Arrow" Block in Unicode.

Those characters are different forms of "Double Arrow":

⇔⇕⇐⇖⇑⇗⇒⇘⇓⇙

Their looks may change completely dependent on font. If you want a specific look, you'll have to embed your specific font.

Quote:
They are not images but windings.
All characters from the Symbol/Wingdings/Webdings fonts have Unicode equivalents now. I wrote about that in another post (with links to other helpful sites).

I would highly recommend you stop using those ancient fonts in your documents as they are not Unicode compatible.

If someone doesn't have those specific fonts installed (like e-readers), it shows up as gibberish. For example, if you used the Wingdings font to type your document:

Q LOOKS like:
(Airplane)

& LOOKS like:
🕮 (Book)

7 LOOKS like:
🖮 (Wired Keyboard)

In an ebook would look like "Q & 7" + Text-to-Speech would read "Q and 7".

Side Note: Earlier this year, Kovid added functionality to Calibre to change Symbol/Wingdings/Webdings fonts into their Unicode equivalent.

So if you use those ancient fonts in your DOCXs, they'll automatically be converted when going to EPUB.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-03-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #8
Frenchguy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
What you are looking for is the "Arrow" Block in Unicode.

Those characters are different forms of "Double Arrow":

⇔⇕⇐⇖⇑⇗⇒⇘⇓⇙

Their looks may change completely dependent on font. If you want a specific look, you'll have to embed your specific font.

All characters from the Symbol/Wingdings/Webdings fonts have Unicode equivalents now. I wrote about that in another post (with links to other helpful sites).

I would highly recommend you stop using those ancient fonts in your documents as they are not Unicode compatible.

If someone doesn't have those specific fonts installed (like e-readers), it shows up as gibberish. For example, if you used the Wingdings font to type your document:

Q LOOKS like:
(Airplane)

& LOOKS like:
🕮 (Book)

7 LOOKS like:
🖮 (Wired Keyboard)

In an ebook would look like "Q & 7" + Text-to-Speech would read "Q and 7".

Side Note: Earlier this year, Kovid added functionality to Calibre to change Symbol/Wingdings/Webdings fonts into their Unicode equivalent.

So if you use those ancient fonts in your DOCXs, they'll automatically be converted when going to EPUB.
Thanks
I did not notice I could use the unicode equivalent