Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #151
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
And if there's going to be a lengthy and annoying information dump, it ought to provide more substance and answer more questions.
Exactly.

Even the information dump itself raised more questions. Why did a society that had no ethical or moral objections to raising sentient intelligent human clones for slaughter draw the line at using similar technology to offer enhanced babies (the Morningdale Scandal)? I would go so far as to say that the undeveloped background world was far more interesting to many readers than the dull confined literary examination of mortality that the author intended and executed.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #152
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Yes. This.

When an author chooses something so out-there and so morally questionable as clones created specifically as a donor class, how can a reader not be primed to want details and explanations, even brief ones? A more mundane backdrop would not have been such a distraction.

And if there's going to be a lengthy and annoying information dump, it ought to provide more substance and answer more questions.
I found myself constantly thinking about that horrrible external society that the author implied. And—for me—the lack of any significant details about that dystopian world certainly annoyed me and took from the book.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #153
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I found myself constantly thinking about that horrrible external society that the author implied. And—for me—the lack of any significant details about that dystopian world certainly annoyed me and took from the book.
But isn't it curious how much thought it stirred up? For all that it didn't say, the book does seem to have suggested a lot indirectly so that readers spend rather a lot of time thinking about it. It's a bit like tapping your foot to music you really don't like.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:33 PM   #154
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
But isn't it curious how much thought it stirred up? For all that it didn't say, the book does seem to have suggested a lot indirectly so that readers spend rather a lot of time thinking about it. It's a bit like tapping your foot to music you really don't like.
The only reason I spent time thinking about it was the book club, so I could kvetch about it. It didn't make me think grand thoughts about morality or ethical issues or even mortality. It didn't make me wonder about the world or examine my beliefs. And it didn't satisfy me as entertainment.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #155
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I’m getting the impression you didn’t like it!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #156
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The only reason I spent time thinking about it was the book club, so I could kvetch about it. It didn't make me think grand thoughts about morality or ethical issues or even mortality. It didn't make me wonder about the world or examine my beliefs. And it didn't satisfy me as entertainment.
Nor me. But for the book club I would almost certainly still have finished the book, following which I would have put it down with a sense of frustration and the lack of desire to bother reading anything by the author again. Which is what I have done anyway, save for my participation in this discussion. I wasn't thinking grand thoughts either when reading the book. I was simply growing more and more frustrated waiting for details of the world which never came. Perhaps if the world was properly drawn it may well have been a catalyst for deeper thinking instead of deeper frustration.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:53 AM   #157
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
But compare your reaction to this versus what we're seeing for The House on the Strand - there we are seeing quite a few people that didn't enjoy the book, but the reaction is mostly "meh!", no one seems that upset about it. Whereas Never Let Me Go seems to have actively annoyed those people that that didn't enjoy it, and I find that interesting and suggestive.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:39 AM   #158
darryl
Wizard

Not annoyed. Just frustrated and disappointed.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #159
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
But compare your reaction to this versus what we're seeing for The House on the Strand - there we are seeing quite a few people that didn't enjoy the book, but the reaction is mostly "meh!", no one seems that upset about it. Whereas Never Let Me Go seems to have actively annoyed those people that that didn't enjoy it, and I find that interesting and suggestive.
Never Let Me Go implies larger issues which are successfully or not successfully explored, where no one reads The House on the Strand expecting anything much more than romantic suspense.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #160
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Never Let Me Go implies larger issues which are successfully or not successfully explored, where no one reads The House on the Strand expecting anything much more than romantic suspense.
Exactly. To me The House on the Strand Works. Never Let Me Go did not.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #161
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The House on the Strand also makes me think, at least a little bit, about the pull of the past, whether I would actually want to chuck the present for the past, why or why not. I wouldn't doubt that some readers might have been inspired to read more about the 14th century.

Never Let Me Go gave me nothing to ponder other than its flaws.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #162
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
^ this

Has anyone read any of his other books? (Apologies if I've missed any commentary on this, I'm brain dead from too much time commuting. This is really for the V&R thread, but the train driver today "forgot" to stop at my station, adding an extra hour on to my journey home - I also had a 60 mile drive after that debacle). I just wonder if Never Let Me Go is typical or atypical of his output?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #163
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have read a couple of his books, and they really didn’t do anything for me, but I was among the few who did like this one. So if you hated this one, maybe you would like the others. Or maybe not!

What an awful journey home for you. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen again.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #164
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
So if you hated this one, maybe you would like the others.
If only life were that simple

I didn't like this one, so I'm not going to bother with others, based on what you've just said. Too many other books I want to read.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote