Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
pgoold
pgoold began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle various
How to back up Kindle notes

I'm completely new to Calibre and mystified as to how to access/back up notes created by Kindle Reader in a document Calibre converted from Word.

I had no trouble converting the document from Word and exporting it to my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone running Android. Accessed via the Kindle app on the phone, it looks and works like the books I buy from Amazon. It allows me to highlight, bookmark, add notes (comments) and access them.

But how do I back up the Calibre published document from the phone so that it INCLUDES the notes I've added in Kindle?

I was hoping to download it to my Kindle Paperwhite, but when I 'sync' my phone's contents, it doesn't show up in my Kindle library on the Amazon web site. I tried copying the document from the phone to my PC and emailing it to the device, but Amazon returns an error message that Kindle can't handle the file format. And I can't tell whether the copy I'm emailing includes the comments anyway.

I can open the phone copy of the document in the Calibre reader on my PC but the comments don't show up in Calibre.

Any easy-to-understand suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
pgoold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:09 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Comments are not stored inside the book -- they are stored in data files related to each book (for Kindle, look for .mbp1/.azw3r/.azw3f files, which may be in a {book}.sdr subfolder) which are I believe binary files anyway.

I believe Kindle for PC stores annotations data also in a file called "My Clippings.txt" which is essentially a log of annotations taken (and only gets added to on the device that took the notes). I know this file exists on e-ink Kindles.

Try looking at the Annotations plugin for calibre, to import them into a custom column. Or http://clippingsconverter.com to turn into various formats.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up, calibre, comments, kindle, notes