Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #136
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Hi folks,

I was browsing at the iLiad project site and also searched this thread, and I was surprised not to find any mention of merging the different iPDF versions. Shouldn't that be a milestone-- and a relatively high-priority one?

I have lots of ways to read non-PDF documents. (I'm currently using an iPod Touch for a lot of my "fun reading.") But for the journal articles I read for grad school, the iLiad is the best platform I have. However, having to switch between versions to get column support OR bookmarks, etc. is a pretty big drawback.

I realize the iLiad team is small, and has limited time available to work on this. I'm not going to be much help as a programmer. But would it help to start a chip-in campaign or similar to raise funds to get some more programming help? And are there any development units available for additional programmers?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:05 AM   #137
IJnstijn_II
IJnstijn_II began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad, want DR1000
I have given up. I'll wait for the real 2.13 release. Here's what I did:

After a few times I had this version running (Bèta 3 OS2.13). I achieved this by reflashing and pulling out the CF-card after the reboot. Then after a while something went wrong and I couldn't start up anymore.

So I reflashed to an older version, installed the developer package again and tried to reflash to 2.13 again. But now my device holds after the reboot, no matter where I put my CF-card (in or out, that is).

For your information. My device holds on the end of the startup page with the picture of all the books. All the squares trun white, then nothing, not even a flashing LED.

I tried to reflash several times. Something that might cause this problem is that a lot of stuff still is on the device from 2.13, it just doesn't work...

IJsbrand Schipperus

ps. Thanks to all programmers contributing to this project. From what I've seen it does make a big difference once it works!
IJnstijn_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #138
Ido Ilan
Enthusiast
Ido Ilan began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Technologies Iliad
Smile

I would gladly contribute some money if it encourage the developers to invest more time.
Ido Ilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #139
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Hi, folks,

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to contribute something in this thread, but as you have probably guessed, I've been pretty busy. In February I moved to New York City and in May I got a new job which includes lots of travel. I know that much trouble can come from writing about work online, so I'll just say that I'm now working for Springer Science + Business Media (sometimes known as Springer-Verlag), in science publishing. It's a lot of fun, as you might guess, for someone with my interest in publishing-related topics.

However, my life, while exciting, is exceedingly busy and I don't foresee having any time to devote to iLiad development in the near future.

In addition to that, several months ago I bought a Kindle DX, and while I won't pretend it's perfect, I like it better than my iLiad and pretty much haven't used my iLiad at all since then. Since iRex also seems to be moving on, releasing newer readers based on updated software, my incentive for developing for the older iLiad is really very low, I'm afraid.

That said, it's possible that one day far in the future I'll do some iLiad programming as a hobby again. But if that day ever comes, it won't be for a long time.

I won't declare the iLiad OS project closed, but as I haven't seen any major activity by anyone else recently, I think I'll declare the project on indefinite hiatus. If anyone would like to take over, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to get you access to the SVN repository.

For those of you who are disappointed by this announcement, I'm sorry! The iLiad is still a great device and I hope you'll continue to enjoy using it, even without a version 2.13.

Last edited by jharker; 10-07-2009 at 05:57 PM.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #140
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Hi, folks,

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to contribute something in this thread, but as you have probably guessed, I've been pretty busy. In February I moved to New York City and in May I got a new job which includes lots of travel. I know that much trouble can come from writing about work online, so I'll just say that I'm now working for Springer Science + Business Media (sometimes known as Springer-Verlag), in science publishing. It's a lot of fun, as you might guess, for someone with my interest in publishing-related topics.

However, my life, while exciting, is exceedingly busy and I don't foresee having any time to devote to iLiad development in the near future.

In addition to that, several months ago I bought a Kindle DX, and while I won't pretend it's perfect, I like it better than my iLiad and pretty much haven't used my iLiad at all since then. Since iRex also seems to be moving on, releasing newer readers based on updated software, my incentive for developing for the older iLiad is really very low, I'm afraid.

That said, it's possible that one day far in the future I'll do some iLiad programming as a hobby again. But if that day ever comes, it won't be for a long time.

I won't declare the iLiad OS project closed, but as I haven't seen any major activity by anyone else recently, I think I'll declare the project on indefinite hiatus. If anyone would like to take over, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to get you access to the SVN repository.

For those of you who are disappointed by this announcement, I'm sorry! The iLiad is still a great device and I hope you'll continue to enjoy using it, even without a version 2.13.
That's a shame.. Enjoy your job, though
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #141
ottovdv
ottovdv began at the beginning.

Device: iliad, iPad, iPhone
What a pity!
It looked so promising, all that we missed in the Irex version available in the OpenSource version.

I really hope someone takes over; unfortunately I can't, I'm not a programmer.
ottovdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #142
vblars
Enthusiast
vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Hi, folks,

Good luck jharker. Hope that you find what you want/need in your every day. Thanks for all the work you have don on iLiad for us.

Greeting

Lars Larsen
vblars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #143
jboardman
Zealot
jboardman is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony PRS900, Irex Iliad
Good luck Jharker. It is always a good thing when you enjoy the work that keeps you going. Peace to you and thanks for all the good work you did for us Iliad owners.
jboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #144
zaytsev
zaytsev began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad 2nd Edition
Hi folks!

Does anyone still remember what's up with the keyboard with the latest beta3 release? I managed to get it installed and it looks really cool, except that the on-screen keyboard doesn't work.

When I go to settings and switch to a page which is supposed to open the keyboard, it takes forever and then nothing happens. I can come to this page again and there will be text fields, but I can't try anything into them, because the keyboard doesn't activate.

I have read in the thread that you were experimenting with different keyboards, is it possible to get the stock on that at least works ? I can rebuild the images myself, just need a pointer.

Thanks!
zaytsev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #145
zaytsev
zaytsev began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad 2nd Edition
I figured how to fix the keyboard. The point is that I guess you guys tried to replace it with matchbox-keyboard and later decided to reverse it, but never put back the resources needed for the original keyboard... Can be easily fixed:

Quote:
user@computer:~# scp -r <path-to-orig-rootfs>/usr/bin/ereaderim root@192.168.1.101:/usr/bin
user@computer:~#scp -r <path-to-orig-rootfs>/usr/share/ereaderim root@192.168.1.101:/usr/share
root@ereader:~# chmod 777 /usr/bin/ereaderim
zaytsev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #146
labzuk
Enthusiast
labzuk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505 - Iliad
I had to reflash my Iliad, the shell access being down the only real option was to install the image from the Iliad OS project... without any save for the mobi reader or the keyboard. I just assigned the mobi to fbreader but i'm struggling a bit for the keyboard. Anyone wich could do a patch for the v3 to include the keyboard from v2. I can't remenber why it was changed back but it would certainly be useful for anyone having to re install from scratch.

Thanks a lot
labzuk is offline   Reply With Quote