Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #16
Hitech_luddite
Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
I downloaded but haven't read this yet but I assume she means the London Eye which is basically a gigantic Ferris wheel. It was built as part of the Millennium celebrations but proved so popular it has become a permanent fixture. The Eye is built on the side of the Thames overlooking the Houses of Parliament.
Hitech_luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #17
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
That's right - on the back of the paperback I'm going to have a stylized London skyline, including the Gherkin and the London Eye. A lot of the places in the book are real, and you can look them up on Google Street View (if you're a mad, obsessive fan, that is).
Lexi Revellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #18
redhead231
Enthusiast
redhead231 doesn't litterredhead231 doesn't litter

Device: PRS 505
Thanks for this, look forward to reading it shortly.
redhead231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #19
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ALERT!

My first attempt to upload a version with the right metadata resulted in slightly too wide gaps between the lines on Kindle for PC; so I tried again, and the title page became uncentred. I'm not sure why this is happening. Possibly Smashwords' meatgrinder processes slightly differently each time?

My apologies to anyone who downloads a not perfectly-formatted version. It's maddening, and I'm doing my best to correct it. I'd be grateful for feedback on the formatting.

Update: The latest version has now been converting on Smashwords for 235 minutes. It seems to be stuck...

Last edited by Lexi Revellian; 08-06-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #20
Hitech_luddite
Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Hitech_luddite can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

I will leave a full review until I am a little clearer headed however as I was up all night reading it, I can confirm that the story is pretty gripping

Story sometimes stretches credibility a little far but you get away with it. Some of your characters really did live for me - Caz, Dog and Jeff come to mind. Ric always seemed a little indistinct: charming because you said so, but without a great deal of substance other than in his Joe personna.

From an international perspective the text is a nightmare. I lost track of the number of words which I would have to explain to my wife. Even though its only been a few years since I lived in London I struggled to remember what things like the Con Charge were.

You do make good use of the city. It provides a huge amount of atmosphere and different areas are distinguished well. It feels somewhat less grimy than I remember it but no doubt things have improved since I left. I loved the amount of detail on the main character's rocking horse repair business too. It added a lot of depth to her.

Book cover is nice but I didn't really feel distinguished genre very clearly. Whilst it would be good to think people would read the blurb before deciding a lot seem to make buying decisions on cover alone and there are several threads here from authors who have found a change in cover, more clearly delineating genre, dramatically improved sales. To have so much explanatory text on the cover feels a little desperate and it is not visible when the book is viewed as a thumbnail for normal purchasing.

Definitely enjoyed reading and would advise people to grab it whilst it is free.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #21
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Oh, thanks, Hitech, that's made my day! My book kept a reader up all night...*gloats*

I designed the cover specifically for the paperback version, and have experimented with variants for the ebook without finding one I thought worked better. I will keep trying. I read the helpful thread here recently on covers and sales - it's clear I need to get it right if I can.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #22
MrKyle
Writer
MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Thanks for writing this book, I've avoided reading novels my entire life. So this was pretty much my first one and it was quite enjoyable.

FYI smash isn't such a good site for making money on ebook sales, it's extremely easy to steal authors' works.
MrKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #23
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyle View Post
Thanks for writing this book, I've avoided reading novels my entire life. So this was pretty much my first one and it was quite enjoyable.

FYI smash isn't such a good site for making money on ebook sales, it's extremely easy to steal authors' works.
So many men avoid reading fiction, which is a shame. Thanks for giving mine a go - and for the tip about Smashwords. But at the moment, much as I'd like to earn from my writing, the real struggle is to get a readership. There are just so many books out there.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #24
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyle View Post

How would SmashWords make it even easier than other places to 'steal' author's work?
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #25
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
Hi Lexi -- I just downloaded it onto my kindle. I'm so looking forward to finally getting to the end of the story (as I read an excerpt a long time ago).

For anyone who likes a well crafted suspenseful mystery, this is worth checking out.
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #26
Hitech_luddite

Ok just wrote my review. Sorry for dragging down your rating a little but have explained in other threads the criteria I use, and have yet to give a 5*. Hope the generally positive comments compensate.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #27
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Thanks Lexi - added to my TBR list
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #28
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitech_luddite View Post
Ok just wrote my review. Sorry for dragging down your rating a little but have explained in other threads the criteria I use, and have yet to give a 5*. Hope the generally positive comments compensate.
Thanks, Malcolm, I appreciate your thoughtful review.

Actually, when you consider no one here has anything to gain by commenting on the books they read (unlike on Authonomy and YouWriteOn) it's fantastic that people are kind enough to take the time.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #29
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
The reviewing is the easy part. I'm now seeing so many of the really good Authonomy books on kindle that I've got a long cue to read. These are all books I wanted to finish including Remix, Spoilt by Jo Ellis and PD Allen's Blood Moon. There are more I haven't even downloaded yet! (I've moved Remix up though and will get to it as soon as I finish the one I'm on)
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #30
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioninyc View Post
The reviewing is the easy part. I'm now seeing so many of the really good Authonomy books on kindle that I've got a long cue to read. These are all books I wanted to finish including Remix, Spoilt by Jo Ellis and PD Allen's Blood Moon. There are more I haven't even downloaded yet! (I've moved Remix up though and will get to it as soon as I finish the one I'm on)
Do you think we're the crest of an unstoppable wave that will sweep away the old publishing model? Or not...

Tags
compelling, easy read, feel good, free, page turner