Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
XRaySpeX
XRaySpeX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Where is the AZW3's Manual Fine-Tuned ToC

I have an AZW3 eBook made up of 3 books each containing umpteen chapters. It comes with no ToC.

When I do a Convert to AZW3 with defaults other than "Force use of auto-gen ToC" (cuz w/out it nothing happens) I get a 3-line ToC with just the 3 books. I want all the chapters as well.

So I try to Manually Fine-Tune the ToC. After spending hours adding 1 chapter at time, all of which it sees but seems to have no way of doing them all in 1 foul swoop, I end up with an AZW3 which the Viewer can see the whole 2-level ToC, chapters & all. But where is it stored? I can't seem to find that 2-level ToC within the AZW3 & when I take it across to my Kindle all that sees is the barebones 3-line book ToC I got on the 1st pass.

Yet this whole 2-level ToC must be there somewhere when under Calibre but not when moved out. Where is it & how to get it to Kindle?
XRaySpeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Use the TOC tool which can be added to the toolbar or used within the book editor (T). It offers many options.
Some take a bit of a learning curve.

You CAN nest levels once they are on the list. select the group (top to bottom. I've had this flip the order in the past and can't reliably duplicate for a bug report) and drag STRAIGHT UP, until the target indicates. (You can also UN-nest by rightclicking the parent and select 'flatten')
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
<snip>
You CAN nest levels once they are on the list. select the group (top to bottom. I've had this flip the order in the past and can't reliably duplicate for a bug report) and drag STRAIGHT UP, until the target indicates . . .
I often find it easier to use the green up/down arrows.

@XRaySpeX - it's "fell swoop" - raptors are neither fowl nor foul, unless they regard you as legitimate pray prey. When used as an adjective 'fell' means savage, cruel.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
XRaySpeX

As I said in my OP I have used the TOC tool in Convert Books & within it I have used Manually Fine-Tune the ToC to seemingly successfully arrive at a ToC with the desired levelling & nesting that I'm after.

That's not the problem! The ToC I want is displayed correctly from the resultant AZW3 by the Calibre Viewer. Trouble is it's nowhere to be found within the AZW3 file & it doesn't come across to my Kindle when the AZW3 is transferred to it.

This ToC must be stored somewhere to get it across to Kindle. Where?

Last edited by XRaySpeX; 04-19-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #5
XRaySpeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
it's "fell swoop" - raptors are neither fowl nor foul, unless they regard you as legitimate pray prey. When used as an adjective 'fell' means savage, cruel.

BR
Oh, dear! The Internet Police have have arrived into what I thought was a serious technical discussion.

@BetterRed: You add nowt to this thread.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The ToC should be in the toc.ncx file, which is accessible via the calibre editor.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-19-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #7
XRaySpeX

Thanks, @BetterRed. Where do I find this toc.ncx file? Do I need to transfer it to Kindle as well as the AZW3 to make it take effect?
Old 04-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRaySpeX View Post
Thanks, @BetterRed. Where do I find this toc.ncx file? Do I need to transfer it to Kindle as well as the AZW3 to make it take effect?
Look in the miscellaneous section. of the editor... BUT that is what Calibres TOC tool generates.
If your AZW look wrong, your AZW (conversion) configuration settings are wrong (you might have it set to flatten).

Inline TOC (HTML) is the only one you can artistically style. The rest is just subject to indenting rules
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
It's embedded in the AZW3, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-04-20 082208.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	170803

BR
Old 04-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
Quote:
It sounds like you want an html TOC that you can read on the Kindle like any other book file. Once you have the ncx one done, go to the Editor menu: Tools / Table of Contents / Insert Inline Table of Contents. That will generate the html TOC and place it at the bottom of the list of html files. You can move it to the top if you want, or edit it to pretty it up.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #11
XRaySpeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BUT that is what Calibres TOC tool generates.
If your AZW look wrong, your AZW (conversion) configuration settings are wrong
No, it wasn't wrong. It was just hidden from me until others told me where to find it & make it visible on Kindle.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #12
XRaySpeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
It sounds like you want an html TOC that you can read on the Kindle like any other book file. Once you have the ncx one done, go to the Editor menu: Tools / Table of Contents / Insert Inline Table of Contents.
Thanks, @retiredbiker, you got it in one in simple terms w/out using any Calibre obscure terminology.

Once I Inserted an Inline Table of Contents I found I now had all the chapters in the ToC displayed on Kindle. However it did not have the chapter markers at the foot of the page because the ToC was still 2-level & Kindle doesn't seem to handle that.

So then I flattened the ToC to get the chapter markers.

Last edited by XRaySpeX; 04-21-2019 at 06:04 PM.