Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2019, 05:57 AM   #1
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
List all used characters? List all not found characters?

Is there any method to find whether a font used/embedded in an ePub I work upon, contains (or not) some characters?
I mean sort of "Warning" the character #$xxxx in file XYZ.xhtml is not found in the font used to display it....

I think it'd be a nice feature for all those like me use decorative fonts (notably known for their simplsitic support of even the punctuation) and/or old books.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I think I've used the reports tool in the calibre ebook editor to do that. The characters report it generates shows unrenderable characters at the end as a boxed "?".
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:23 AM   #3
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I looked for this function and did not find it, then I looked in the net and in its online help.

Why I do not have this function on my calibre? Is it something that has to be activated, a plug-in that is missing etc etc?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.png
Views:	482
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	169429  
Old 02-01-2019, 03:07 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I looked for this function and did not find it, then I looked in the net and in its online help.

Why I do not have this function on my calibre? Is it something that has to be activated, a plug-in that is missing etc etc?
Looks like you lost the bottom of the menu. Try using the arrow keys to get to it, or press Ctrl+Shift+R

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	169430

Added: Or maybe you're using an ancient version - you're also missing Tranform Styles and External links.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-01-2019 at 03:20 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:39 AM   #5
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

I am on XP therefore I have to use max 2.48.
Maybe this is why.
I'll check this on another computer where I have 3.30.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am on XP therefore I have to use max 2.48.
Maybe this is why.
I'll check this on another computer where I have 3.30.
I think you mean 1.48, and that is almost certainly why.

The Sigil EPUB editor has similar report, IIRC it has been there 'forever'. I'm not sure what version of Sigil runs on XP - like calibre it uses Qt. Ask in the Sigil forum

BR
Old 02-04-2019, 05:21 AM   #7
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

It's 2.5 actually, I did not remember well for being outside that environment.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
2.5 WILL NOT install on XP
I mange to have 2.0 installed on XP before Kovid turned it OFF the installer because so many people had compatibility issues (I managed to not trip those in my usage)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
2.5 WILL NOT install on XP
I mange to have 2.0 installed on XP before Kovid turned it OFF the installer because so many people had compatibility issues (I managed to not trip those in my usage)
@Ghitulescu - this thread has detail ==> Why can't I install the latest calibre on Windows XP?

BR
Old 03-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #10
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Lightbulb Idea

Why just don't use the orange color for the characters that are used from the stock font used as default for Preview?
It would be very visible and avoids a lot of forensic work.

Tags
character list, font display, warnings