Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
M96 browser problem and question about Boox Note 3

Hi,

I have an old M96 Onyx Boox and I can not enter in https sites anymore. I think it is an Android 4.0.4 certificates problem, but I'm asking is someone has the same problem with the M96.

Second question: I'm thinking about leave the M96 and move to the Note3. Someone knows if the Note3 is able to handle Coursera App and show the videos?

Thank you for the answers.

Fabrizio
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:54 AM   #2
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
Hi,

I have an old M96 Onyx Boox and I can not enter in https sites anymore. I think it is an Android 4.0.4 certificates problem, but I'm asking is someone has the same problem with the M96.

Second question: I'm thinking about leave the M96 and move to the Note3. Someone knows if the Note3 is able to handle Coursera App and show the videos?

Thank you for the answers.

Fabrizio

Well, I think I'm the last man using M96 here
I was wondering if installing Android 4.4 could solve the problem. Is there still a link around for the "upgrade" to Android 4.4?
Advert
Old 12-02-2020, 04:08 AM   #3
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...nFJQUMweGo4cm8
I think that's the latest firmware for M96 from onyx website https://www.boox.com/downloads/#others. As for whether it's 4.4 android update, I don't know.
It should be able to handle videos, but I don't really see a point in doing that. The quality will be bad. It'll be black/white only. I'm able to play youtube videos without any problems though (just for test purpose).
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:53 AM   #4
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galunid View Post
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...nFJQUMweGo4cm8
I think that's the latest firmware for M96 from onyx website https://www.boox.com/downloads/#others. As for whether it's 4.4 android update, I don't know.
It should be able to handle videos, but I don't really see a point in doing that. The quality will be bad. It'll be black/white only. I'm able to play youtube videos without any problems though (just for test purpose).
Thank you for the answer. I thinks your links are for is the standard Android 4.0.4 update, I have 1.8.2 now. I remember Onyx made a not-so-stable upgrade to Android 4.4 but I don't know if someone still have it. I was wondering if the 4.4 update could resolve the missing connecting to https sites...

Last edited by fbrzvnrnd; 12-02-2020 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I tested the 4.4 update on a different device. It worked but was very rough. Have you tried a different browser?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I tested the 4.4 update on a different device. It worked but was very rough. Have you tried a different browser?
Unfortunately yes. I installed 3/4 different browser and I'm not able to connect to https sites. Yesterday I tried to install a old Coursera app to read some text from a course I'm following, and the app gives me an "internet error", that I fear it could be also related to the certificate problem.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I tried on Kepler Pro, but went back to Android 4.0.4
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I might still have it if you have a place I can upload it to. Bit busy atm. I might have deleted it. But it's rough.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:50 AM   #9
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
I might still have it if you have a place I can upload it to. Bit busy atm. I might have deleted it. But it's rough.
If you can send a wetransfer to fabrizio@venerandi.com I'll be happy to try it. I'm gonna move to a Note 3 before or late, but I'd like to try to use the M96 for reading online before then. It is not *important* so, when and if you can. Thank you

fabrizio
Old 12-03-2020, 04:02 AM   #10
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Worst case scenario, you should be able to root this and manually install the updated certificates.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:47 AM   #11
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Worst case scenario, you should be able to root this and manually install the updated certificates.
I thought about this option: I never root anything in my life, except my soul: is there a link to a guide explaining how to do it on a M96?
Old 12-03-2020, 06:29 AM   #12
Galunid
Zealot

No idea, you could try Framaroot (it's pretty old app for rooting), or extract firmware update and try patching it in magisk and use fastboot to boot it. I know some people used DirtyCoW exploit to root their onyx devices. You could look on xda-developers to see if there is any guide.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:16 AM   #13
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
No idea, you could try Framaroot (it's pretty old app for rooting), or extract firmware update and try patching it in magisk and use fastboot to boot it. I know some people used DirtyCoW exploit to root their onyx devices. You could look on xda-developers to see if there is any guide.
Thank you, I'll take a look

Fabrizio
Old 12-05-2020, 05:29 AM   #14
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
Thank you, I'll take a look

Fabrizio
Update: I formatted the M96, rooted it, installed CA Certificates taken from a recent version of Android, installed a recent version of Opera Mini Browser and...

Nothing changes. Sigh. Everytime I try to connect to https sites, o when Coursera App starts, I got an internet error. "Old" http sites seem to work.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:02 AM   #15
Pajamaman
Wizard

I suggest you ask about this on the xda forum. If it is Android version related, they will know.