Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #16
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetochange View Post
I can use a wall adapter from a cell phone, right?

And is it correct that Oasis does let you change font size by pinching, but does not have a quick adjustment for brightness or color balance?
The cell phone charger would likely work but if I were you I would check the output voltage and amperage of the cell charger and see if it is the same as what the Oasis calls for.

Obviously I thought enough of the Oasis to buy one, but it irks me that a $250 device does not come with a charger and that it costs another $20 to remove ads.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetochange View Post
I can use a wall adapter from a cell phone, right?

And is it correct that Oasis does let you change font size by pinching, but does not have a quick adjustment for brightness or color balance?
Yes, you can use any USB charging block, including the one for your cellphone. You can also charge using a computer.

It is correct that Kindles let you change font size by pinching, but to change brightness, you have to touch the top of the screen to access the brightness slider. For me, pinch to change font is much more important, as I sometimes change font sizes multiple times per day, but I rarely change the brightness.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
The cell phone charger would likely work but if I were you I would check the output voltage and amperage of the cell charger and see if it is the same as what the Oasis calls for.

Obviously I thought enough of the Oasis to buy one, but it irks me that a $250 device does not come with a charger and that it costs another $20 to remove ads.
Honestly, it would irk me if these devices had a charger supplied with them. I'm fairly close to the point where I don't want a cable with them. I have plenty of both chargers and cables. And, as my ereaders are normally charged while connected to my laptop, a separate charger would be a waste. There are so many chargers or USB ports in other devices in the house (our bed has two on each side) that new chargers are just waste.

As to the fee for removing ads, that is how Amazon sell these devices. One price with ads, another without ads. Or you pay afterwards to remove them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #19
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I own each of the devices you are considering and tend to agree with those who have posted their opinions. One important feature, at least for me, is the ability to adjust the font weight on a Kobo. That, the line spacing and margin adjustments are invaluable and woefully inadequate, or completely lacking, on a Kindle (although margins can be reduced further if "liberated" and edited in Calibre). Also, while Kobo offers a fully customizable device out of the box, a plethora of additional customizations is available via simple patches.

The Oasis3 is also an excellent ereader, superior hardware, IMHO, with a beautiful display. But I have not been able to duplicate the warmer color temperature or contrast that my Kobo readers provide. Others have already mentioned the closed system limitations, ad-removal, etc.

Fortunately, there are many options between size, hardware, firmware, features, and customization. Only you can determine the best choice.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I own each of the devices you are considering and tend to agree with those who have posted their opinions. One important feature, at least for me, is the ability to adjust the font weight on a Kobo. That, the line spacing and margin adjustments are invaluable and woefully inadequate, or completely lacking, on a Kindle (although margins can be reduced further if "liberated" and edited in Calibre). Also, while Kobo offers a fully customizable device out of the box, a plethora of additional customizations is available via simple patches.

The Oasis3 is also an excellent ereader, superior hardware, IMHO, with a beautiful display. But I have not been able to duplicate the warmer color temperature or contrast that my Kobo readers provide. Others have already mentioned the closed system limitations, ad-removal, etc.

Fortunately, there are many options between size, hardware, firmware, features, and customization. Only you can determine the best choice.
The ability to adjust font weight is certainly present on Kindles. You can even adjust the weight of your own installed fonts. On a Kobo you can do it only via patching.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The ability to adjust font weight is certainly present on Kindles. You can even adjust the weight of your own installed fonts. On a Kobo you can do it only via patching.
I understand why Kobo did it that way. But I would rather they changed it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:50 AM   #22
joe94
joe94 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
go for libra
joe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:11 PM   #23
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Forma. Bigger screen always better.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote