Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Random underlining

I have random underlining on my kindle, I think only in this book, but I can’t be sure. It is so faint as to make me wonder if I am imagining it. I’m not though.

I don’t have worldly wise, quotes highlight or book title highlight turned on.

Have you ever seen this? Look at "absurdly" in the second last paragraph. It just appears randomly, every few pages, sometimes under several words.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B92F486-0F00-4EC7-A375-3AAF8FE66D99.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	863.3 KB
ID:	180500  

Last edited by Pjama; 07-09-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I turn the page and then go back, the line gets darker for a split second. Very strange.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
That is weird. Popular highlights always have a notation under them with the number of highlighters.

Is it just that one book?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Make sure you have popular highlights turned off.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I have random underlining on my kindle, I think only in this book, but I can’t be sure.

I don’t have worldly wise, quotes highlight or book title highlight turned on.
Answers were in original post. I’ll add that this is an official kindle book purchased through Amazon, i.e., not side-loaded.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Since you have all those things turned off as you stated, could it have been uploaded like that by the author/publisher to amazon? Formatting thingy? editing underline?
Don't think I have ever seen that on my kindle. I do have one of the 3 things turned on, the book title one. Don't think I ever got to see that in action though. The book has to mention a book title for that I think.

But that is odd yes.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #7
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I think there is a feature with the Vocab Learner that you can click to be on, and if Amazon finds the word unusually difficult, it marks it somehow to stick out. Could this be it? Absurdly obviously isn't a hard word, but maybe the software thinks it is?
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:13 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I have random underlining on my kindle, I think only in this book, but I can’t be sure.
Does any of the underlining occur in the first 10% of the book?

If so then if let us know which book it is one of us could check out the free sample to see if those underlines are present.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #9
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Does any of the underlining occur in the first 10% of the book?

If so then if let us know which book it is one of us could check out the free sample to see if those underlines are present.
Thanks - I went back and checked the first 5% and didn’t find anything. I can’t check any more right now, but I doubt there would be more than 50 pages in the sample anyway.

It is a beautifully formatted book (for once! I hardly ever find really nicely formatted ebooks) with lots of the shapes used to divide sections - I don’t know the official term for them. I wonder if they have mistakenly placed a line from one of the shapes under a word. Clutching at straws, I know.

Anyway, it is really not important, it’s not even all that annoying, and the line has just shown up a few times, I just wanted to know if anyone else had seen this on any of their books.

The name of the book, just in case anyone else happens to have it in their collection, is Thunderstruck, by Erik Larson.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:31 PM   #10
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I think there is a feature with the Vocab Learner that you can click to be on, and if Amazon finds the word unusually difficult, it marks it somehow to stick out. Could this be it? Absurdly
obviously isn't a hard word, but maybe the software thinks it is?
Thanks, the wordly wise feature is off. That is the feature that underlines the words. So it’s not that. Just a glitch in this book, I think. The book is otherwise beautifully presented.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:34 PM   #11
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Since you have all those things turned off as you stated, could it have been uploaded like that by the author/publisher to amazon? Formatting thingy? editing underline?
Don't think I have ever seen that on my kindle. I do have one of the 3 things turned on, the book title one. Don't think I ever got to see that in action though. The book has to mention a book title for that I think.

But that is odd yes.
Yes, I think that’s exactly what is happening, a publisher's glitch.

I had the book title turned on for a while a while back, and I found it usually missed glaringly obvious titles, so I turned it off.

The underline is very faint, too, much fainter than for any lines produced by kindle features that underline.

Sorry everyone for three consecutive posts. I don’t know how to add multiple quotes to one post on my iPad.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:49 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The only thing left to suggest is that you extract the book contents with KindleUnpack and take a manual look at the code.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:24 AM   #13
Pjama
Guru

Well, at least I can see this one is deliberate!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E98E1C7F-3757-496F-9E7F-86A0DB1C55DF.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	750.3 KB
ID:	180543  
Old 07-12-2020, 12:26 AM   #14
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The only thing left to suggest is that you extract the book contents with KindleUnpack and take a manual look at the code.
Thanks, but it is only a very minor annoyance, I don’t think it is worth it. And the underlines are few and far between.