Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
I agree about K4PC. It definitely needs work. But as you and I have hashed out in other threads, I'm 100% sure you can simply sideload .apk's and install them, and even MORE sure that, if on the minuscule chance amazon does something to prohibit that, the Fire will be rooted within 48 hours of release...and then you can put anything you want on it.

Myself? I don't plan to root it, because, like I say, I'm relatively certain I can get whatever I want on it...and silk looks good.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
I agree about K4PC. It definitely needs work. But as you and I have hashed out in other threads, I'm 100% sure you can simply sideload .apk's and install them, and even MORE sure that, if on the minuscule chance amazon does something to prohibit that, the Fire will be rooted within 48 hours of release...and then you can put anything you want on it.

Myself? I don't plan to root it, because, like I say, I'm relatively certain I can get whatever I want on it...and silk looks good.
Sideloading will be a big factor in my purchase decision. Cool Reader, Dropbox and ES File Explorer will be the first to go on there. And Mantano if that's allowed. I bought it from the Amazon app store so I am hoping to use it on the Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #18
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't care for Aldiko. I prefer Mantano or Cool Reader which reads external style sheets correctly but let's me customize the font, background, margins....etc. The verdict is still out if these will be allowed or not. It seems the Fire will have its own category in the App store. I know they said we can side load apps so I'm hoping this is the case because I'll do that with Cool Reader if nothing else.

The Kindle app doesn't do well when you bring up the font. The paragraphs looks odd on my phone. I find the font rendering on the app not as good as the two mentioned above. The book doesn't look like it does on say your Kindle or K4PC. The font used is not that great for reading either when zoomed in.
On the iOS side, I'm pissed off with Amazon for buying Stanza, the best ereader app on the iPad, then basically letting it die. There has not been an update in forever, bug reports sent to support get no answer or even acknowledgment, no post on the get satisfaction support forum in months. Apparently it does not work with iOS 5 and it's not known at this point if that will get fixed.

I've tried out a bunch of apps and have not found anything as good and customizable. A lot of ereader apps copy ideas from Stanza but still fall far short.

Times like this you see open source software advocates' point.

Sorry for the off topic. Had to get that off my chest.

Last edited by Barty; 10-11-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #19
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
If that happened, I'd probably be utterly confused. Then, I'd go down to a Barnes & Noble, and "lose" it in the bathroom nearest the Nook display with the "'Problem?' Trollface" guy as the screen-saver/background (if possible).

Then wait for Engadget to pick up the story and run with it.

So....yeah, actually that would be great if it was at home tomorrow.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #20
lukjad
lukjad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Especially since it's not shipping until next month.
Especially since it's not shippng to my country.
lukjad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm jonesing for my Kindle Fire too.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote