Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Kindle Dictionary: Another cost-cutting on the K4?

I noticed that the $79 K4's product description page says that it includes the New Oxford American Dictionary. My K3 WiFi (non KSO) included both that and the Oxford Dictionary of English (which I have come to prefer). Is this another cost cutting? Did they only include one dictionary with the K4?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
The user guide for the Kindle says that it includes both dictionaries (same as the Kindle Keyboard).

The UK site advertises the "Oxford Dictionary of English", which is aimed at British English audiences.

I assume it's just Amazon wanting to tailor the content of each Amazon site to its specific audience.

The French Amazon site lists "The French Dictionary".

Last edited by Daveoc64; 10-11-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I noticed that the $79 K4's product description page says that it includes the New Oxford American Dictionary. My K3 WiFi (non KSO) included both that and the Oxford Dictionary of English (which I have come to prefer). Is this another cost cutting? Did they only include one dictionary with the K4?
No you still get both dictionaries. The second one is in your Archive Items. In fact you now get several dictionaries with the K4. Two in English and a bunch of foreign dictionaries. I just delete the ones I wont use but if you replace your Kindle they do get re-added back to your archive.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Actually, you get 6 dictionaries, not 2 (American, English, French, German, Spanish, italian, portuguese). They can all be downloaded and installed.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, that's good to know... :-)

So... is there any way that us older K3 owners can download some of those foreign dictionaries? I often read in Spanish, and a Spanish dictionary would be great! I found a Spanish-->English one online that somebody compiled from various open sources, and it works OK, but I'd like to have the real thing too.

And.... I noticed that the Oxford American is in my archive, but the ODE isn't... my ODE has some obvious errors that the newer copy downloaded in my desktop software doesn't have (and has a corruption on one page that'll crash the reader and tell me that it's not available). I'd like to re-download it, but since it doesn't show up in my manage my kindle page I'm afraid to delete it to try!
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, that's good to know... :-)

So... is there any way that us older K3 owners can download some of those foreign dictionaries? I often read in Spanish, and a Spanish dictionary would be great! I found a Spanish-->English one online that somebody compiled from various open sources, and it works OK, but I'd like to have the real thing too.

And.... I noticed that the Oxford American is in my archive, but the ODE isn't... my ODE has some obvious errors that the newer copy downloaded in my desktop software doesn't have (and has a corruption on one page that'll crash the reader and tell me that it's not available). I'd like to re-download it, but since it doesn't show up in my manage my kindle page I'm afraid to delete it to try!
I don't see why you couldn't send the Spanish one to your K3 from the MYK page. The dictionary in K4PC is different and wont show up in your Archive items.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't see why you couldn't send the Spanish one to your K3 from the MYK page. The dictionary in K4PC is different and wont show up in your Archive items.
I don't see the Spanish one on my kindle page. I guess that means that even though we have three Kindles registered to the account, none of them are new enough to get it?

The only dictionary I see on my page is the American one, not even the ODE which was included with my Kindle.

I tried looking for the dictionary to back it up before experimenting, but I can't even find it on the Kindle filesystem.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not sure if this matters, but the K3 allows you to change between the two included English dictionaries by listing them and having you choose one. I'm not sure if one of the foreign dictionaries would make it into that list. doesn't hurt to try though.

The K4 first has you select which language (an option not available on the K3) then has you select from the dictionaries available for that language.

My point is that the menus have more options as far as dictionaries in the K4, so the K3 might not be capable of utilizing the foreign dictionaries included with the K4. But I have not tried.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I don't see the Spanish one on my kindle page. I guess that means that even though we have three Kindles registered to the account, none of them are new enough to get it?

The only dictionary I see on my page is the American one, not even the ODE which was included with my Kindle.

I tried looking for the dictionary to back it up before experimenting, but I can't even find it on the Kindle filesystem.
They come with the new K4 and should of shown up when you bought the K4. If you don't have it on your MYK page then contact Kindle Support. I've gotten them twice. The first time I ordered my K4 which I then deleted all but the two English ones and then when I got my replacement K4 they were added back to the account which means I had to delete them again.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
They come with the new K4 and should of shown up when you bought the K4. If you don't have it on your MYK page then contact Kindle Support. I've gotten them twice. The first time I ordered my K4 which I then deleted all but the two English ones and then when I got my replacement K4 they were added back to the account which means I had to delete them again.
No, I have the K3... so it looks like I don't have access to the Spanish dictionary. Too bad.

That said, I'll contact Kindle support and try to get the ODE added to my archived items so that I can delete my corrupted older copy and bring it back.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
No, I have the K3... so it looks like I don't have access to the Spanish dictionary. Too bad.

That said, I'll contact Kindle support and try to get the ODE added to my archived items so that I can delete my corrupted older copy and bring it back.
Oh! I misunderstood. I thought you meant you bought a K4 and you wanted to know where the other dictionary was. No the K3s don't come with the new dictionaries only the K4s do.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Very strange... so, I did a full reboot through the settings menu, and now my ODE opens just fine, and moreover no longer tells me that Dutch is spoken by 20 people, but 20 million people. Interesting bug there.

As for the Spanish dictionary... it looks like we've found another point for the "should I upgrade to the K4?" crowd. :-)
Old 10-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #13
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
K4 dictionaries to K3

Here is a way to port Kindle4 dictionaries to the Kindle3.

You can download them to the PC by using the most recent K4PC amazon application, and while searching for a term, by selecting which dictionary to use (clicking the gear icon).

Locate the downloaded file on the PC by searching for *.azw. They will be in C:/users/your_user_account/My Documents/My Kindle Content

After using some help from Apprentice Alf (I can't be more specific here) load the *.mobi dictionaries to your Kindle3.

Voilà. The proper dictionary will be automaticaly invoked when searching a book which has the corresponding language in its metadata.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Here is a way to port Kindle4 dictionaries to the Kindle3...
That's nifty. Good job.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Voilà. The proper dictionary will be automaticaly invoked when searching a book which has the corresponding language in its metadata.

Nice! I've been switching dictionaries (an annoying process) whenever I started a book in a different language. I didn't know that it was automatic! IIRC my K4PC only included a German dictionary. I might consider using K4PC more if it does have Spanish support.

It may be that my books and the dictionary that I have don't have the metadata set correctly.

Tags
dictionary, kindle