Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
dragon
Edge User

Question antivirus version 22

Does anyone know if this app (antivirus version 22) works? I can not get it to actually open nor do I know if it is always running in the background. Has anyone tried this app out yet? I got the app from slideme.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
brauckmiller
Edge User

Security thru obscurity only lasts so long with a growing OS like Android. Lets hope hackers don't start finding exploits.

Yet another reason to avoid providing root access I suppose.

Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
ayersem
Edge User

I've been using antivirus v.1.8.1 for a few days, and haven't noticed any slowdowns or problems. I get a notification in the status bar when I download something (saying no threats found), so it appears to be working. Maybe antivirus is not strictly necessary, but I feel vulnerable without it.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
kenjennings
Edge User

I was thinking it was a matter of permissions. Most of the environment is not directly accessible to applications, because we can't run stuff as root. There's another thread around here about getting root access to the device for those of us with development inclinations. So, I'd figure some kind of Android malware would have limited effect on the edge system.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
10tklz
Edge User

@Kenjennings
That's probably largely true but doesn't take in to consideration all the personal information stored on the eDGe. Malware can slurp all sorts of private morsels from the browser alone (saved passwords, usernames, maybe cc?). Having antimalware is not a bad idea.

Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
robot
Edge User

Android v1.5 and 1.6 (eDGe) contains numerous vulnerability. Google it http://www.google.ru/search?q=androi...client=firefox Only latest version of android has not known exploits.

Also, do not confuse OS vulnerabilities with security holes in the applications and mallware. Usually vulnerabilities used to get root access to device, but there's absolutly no needs for root to use malware, steal you private data or send spam using your hardware. As far as I understand, the main problem why developers don't want to give us a root, is that they use one root pass for all device (which is usuall for corporations, but it's BIGGEST security hole, 'cos if hackers find out root pass, they will be able to get remote access to every eDGe).