Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Nook hacked to run a browser and other Android Apps.

From Engadget.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
JoeFloyd
JoeFloyd doesn't litterJoeFloyd doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Just a few words of caution.

1) It costs B&N real money to transfer data to each nook over 3G from At&T.

2) If software can't be limited to using just the wifi connection, any hacked software added to the nook will end up costing B&N money in fees from AT&T

3) Web browser can use many megabytes of data visiting just a few sites

4) Pandora client streaming music to your nook will use many many of megabytes if you listen for more than a few minutes

It's not clear how B&N will react to nook hacking activities, but it's almost certain than any applications that increase 3G data usage will be frowned upon.

It's interesting to see what can be hacked to work on the nook, but using the 3G data service on B&N dime will certainly get their attention fast.
JoeFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
I'm less interested in the internet side of the hacks and more on the "THEY'RE DOING IT!" part of the article. I can't wait to see what they come up with at this point.
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
wxiao
wxiao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
color screen

What is curious to me is that in the picture, the displayed webpage seems to be colored! Isn't the Nook E-ink screen only black and white?
wxiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFloyd View Post
Just a few words of caution.

1) It costs B&N real money to transfer data to each nook over 3G from At&T.

2) If software can't be limited to using just the wifi connection, any hacked software added to the nook will end up costing B&N money in fees from AT&T

3) Web browser can use many megabytes of data visiting just a few sites

4) Pandora client streaming music to your nook will use many many of megabytes if you listen for more than a few minutes

It's not clear how B&N will react to nook hacking activities, but it's almost certain than any applications that increase 3G data usage will be frowned upon.

It's interesting to see what can be hacked to work on the nook, but using the 3G data service on B&N dime will certainly get their attention fast.
The pictures show the nook running over WiFi, not 3G. I doubt B&N did not add some kind of security to prevent the nook from accessing anything other than their own servers over 3G.

At the end of the day, I think B&N should be pleased from this as it only creates more momentum for their device.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I only wish I'd jumped on the first pre-order bandwagon straight away rather than procrastinate , jumping on the second........

This is the real reason I, in australia bought the nook :-)
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxiao View Post
What is curious to me is that in the picture, the displayed webpage seems to be colored! Isn't the Nook E-ink screen only black and white?
No, the e-ink is greyscale only, the bottom part of the page (not fitting onto e-ink display) continues on the LCD and that is coloured.

But the scrolling on the e-ink isn't that bad actually, afaik (from irc chats) there's now an effort to build the browser with the proper UI for the nook, let's hope it leads somewhere.

PS. So far all homebrew on nook has access to WiFi only, not the 3g. And browsing is quick, I'd say about same speed as iPhone 3gs/IPT3 over WiFi.

Last edited by stangri; 12-17-2009 at 07:09 PM.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
jcar302
jcar302 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I'll bet sooner or later someone gets the nook to run joikuspot on 3g, then BN is in serious trouble. It will be laptop tethering through wifi for free.
jcar302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar302 View Post
I'll bet sooner or later someone gets the nook to run joikuspot on 3g, then BN is in serious trouble. It will be laptop tethering through wifi for free.
I really hope that nobody is foolish enough to even attempt to do so. That would cost B&N real money, and would probably be a criminal act.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really hope that nobody is foolish enough to even attempt to do so. That would cost B&N real money, and would probably be a criminal act.
Well, at least a violation of some paragraph in the TOS. My concern would be more that whatever B&N did to plug the hole would adversely affect everyone else with the device.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Well, at least a violation of some paragraph in the TOS. My concern would be more that whatever B&N did to plug the hole would adversely affect everyone else with the device.
I don't know what the situation is in the US, but here in the UK you could probably be charged with "obtaining goods or services by deception", which is a crime that carries jail time. And, as you very rightly say, the response of B&N would almost certainly adversely affect every nook customer.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know what the situation is in the US, but here in the UK you could probably be charged with "obtaining goods or services by deception", which is a crime that carries jail time. And, as you very rightly say, the response of B&N would almost certainly adversely affect every nook customer.
What are the elements to "obtaining goods and services by deception?"

A quick look at the Theft Act of 1978 reveals these elements:

1) A deception by words or conduct as to a fact or law
2) The deception must be the reason the person obtained the goods or service (IE, the person wouldn't have gotten the stuff or services if the other party knew they were lying)
3) The defendant must have obtained the product or service
4) The product or service must not be gratuitus (IE, the victim must have provided the service or product expecting they would be paid for them)
5) The product or service must have been conveyed by some act and not conveyed merely by a failure to act.

Can you explain to me in particular why the second and fourth elements are met?
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I would tend ti think that AT&T/B&N would could limit the host site to B&N rather simply, making joikuspot a moot point
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousoxide View Post
What are the elements to "obtaining goods and services by deception?"

A quick look at the Theft Act of 1978 reveals these elements:

1) A deception by words or conduct as to a fact or law
2) The deception must be the reason the person obtained the goods or service (IE, the person wouldn't have gotten the stuff or services if the other party knew they were lying)
3) The defendant must have obtained the product or service
4) The product or service must not be gratuitus (IE, the victim must have provided the service or product expecting they would be paid for them)
5) The product or service must have been conveyed by some act and not conveyed merely by a failure to act.

Can you explain to me in particular why the second and fourth elements are met?
That is exactly why it is not a criminal act or theft of services. Barnes and Noble through AT&T are providing the service for free. The only thing they can do is cancel your service for violating the TOS.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Is the service "free"? It's being paid for by B&N for the specific purpose of using the B&N bookstore, isn't it? If you use it for any other purpose, aren't you making unauthorised use of a service which is costing B&N real money? That surely constitutes obtaining a service by deception, don't you think? I'm no lawyer, so I may of course by wrong, but it certainly looks to me as though it "ought" to be a criminal act, given that such usage actually costs B&N money.