Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-09-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
mjm2705
mjm2705 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sony PRS-505 Resets When Viewing Calibre Generated Content

I have tested Calibre to generate and read RSS type content both from the built in recipes and some custom content ... I love the concept and would use it regularly .... BUT ...

On pretty much every example of generated content, my Sony PRS-505 crashes and resets randomly after reading a few pages of Calibre generated content. The screen just goes blank and the Sony "starting up" screen appears.

This never happens with normal ebook content.

I have tried setting the output format for Calibre to be EPUB and LRF with the same results.

I am using Calibre rev 0.4.103 but this occurred on the previous revision also.

I still use the Sony eBook library to transfer books to the reader but very rarely and never at the same time as running Calibre.

Anything I can try before giving up on Calibre?

mjm2705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's likely something wrong with your reader. One thing that might help is to use the LRF format and the sony connect software to upload the generated files to your reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
dmitcalf
dmitcalf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
I have the same problem. Books transferred with Calibre take a long time to open on the Reader and frequently cause it to crash. If I send the same book using the Sony s/w it opens immediately and no crashes. I am using a UK Reader with the latest firmware. I suspect the Sony Lib s/w is doing some kind of conversion in the transfer?
dmitcalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitcalf View Post
I have the same problem. Books transferred with Calibre take a long time to open on the Reader and frequently cause it to crash. If I send the same book using the Sony s/w it opens immediately and no crashes. I am using a UK Reader with the latest firmware. I suspect the Sony Lib s/w is doing some kind of conversion in the transfer?
It is doing indexing not a conversion. If the index doesn't exist when Sony opens the book for the first time it will index it.

Are you sure it "crashed"? Perhaps you just weren't patient enough to wait for it to finish indexing. It only takes a minute or so for your average size book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitcalf View Post
I have identical problem with calibre generated content. Sometimes device crashes during indexing and sometimes it crashes after reading few pages.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_m...eader-to-reset
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Is there any software what will pre-paginate/index the file in OSX (MAC)?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote