Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM   #481
snoeki
Connoisseur
snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 & Kobo glo hd
I bought two today, replacing our Kindle paperwhite and our Kobo glo HD. Just loaded both of them with books and let's start reading now. The orange light is really orange if you put it at 100% (amazing!), but you can turn it off and I have to see how this feels for me. I do like this option on the ipads, so I think I am enjoying it sooner or later.

I couldn't connect the new H20 using an usb 3 port, but the usb 2 port worked fine. I have a new laptop, so perhaps it's a setting in Windows, I have to see.
snoeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM   #482
Wicked John
Wicked John began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Aura
Hello everyone!

I’m looking for ebook reader, I recently sold my Kobo aura and now I’m thinking of buying H2O2 or One, @snoeki I would like to ask you how many hours can u pull through with one full charge and if it is discharging while on sleep, I almost never powered off my Aura also some times I would do “marathon” reading all night and some more, I would rly hate it if it needs charging after 15-20 hours of reading with low light on.
Wicked John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM   #483
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
The original H2O with the same battery as the H2O2 lasts much longer than 20 hours. I would expect the H2O2 to last about the same.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #484
snoeki
Connoisseur
snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked John View Post
Hello everyone!
@snoeki I would like to ask you how many hours can u pull through with one full charge and if it is discharging while on sleep, I almost never powered off my Aura also some times I would do “marathon” reading all night and some more, I would rly hate it if it needs charging after 15-20 hours of reading with low light on.
I find it difficult to test, I think it's difficult: there are a lot of light settings on this new device and if you have the brightness really high and I have it low, I can tell you perhaps it last 1000 hours and if you buy it and use full light settings it will perhaps last for 100 hours.

We attach our ereaders to the usb powercable every week, so after reading about 15 hours. Is there perhaps an option in the firmware to see how long you read? Can I use the reading statistics for this? I am not sure because I was a Kindle fanboy and only this new firmware with the new home menu made me think: I need a kobo now.

I will come back on this question in the near future when I have tested the new device. It will take a few weeks though because I fall asleep after reading more than one hour. I wish I could marathon read, it would be great for my study, but I like to sleep...

Discharging while in sleep mode is interesting. I can easily test this next week, but I need to upload first all my books to the ereader and it's incredible hot overhere at the moment, so I am not much behind the computer uploading new books to the ereader the next few days, but I will test it in my garden in my little swimming pool.

Last edited by snoeki; Yesterday at 06:25 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM   #485
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoeki View Post
I bought two today, replacing our Kindle paperwhite and our Kobo glo HD. Just loaded both of them with books and let's start reading now. The orange light is really orange if you put it at 100% (amazing!), but you can turn it off and I have to see how this feels for me. I do like this option on the ipads, so I think I am enjoying it sooner or later.

I couldn't connect the new H20 using an usb 3 port, but the usb 2 port worked fine. I have a new laptop, so perhaps it's a setting in Windows, I have to see.
Congratulations on your two new H2O2s. I think you'll love them. The larger screen is so much nicer then a standard 6" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #486
snoeki
Connoisseur

Well John, the webbrowser on the kindle is better due to the article mode option (like on the safari webbrowser on the ipad), but all other things are way better on the kobo, finally I have all the font settings, but I have to admit, you changed the bookerly font for me last year (or in 2015) and I was still enjoying your work on my kindle every day. But I do like the new kobo firmware so much I bought a kobo today. And I have to admit, this new H20 is a really nice upgrade. The font and margin settings are amazing. Although... I just downloaded a book from the kobo store with faults in the margins... well, let's say it's almost perfect.

And I do like the larger screen soooooo much, too bad a much larger screen is way to expensive. I would love to get a A4 / letter size in my home, but I was chocked about the pricing when I looked it up. Hope the future will bring us cheaper devices and I would love to get the headphone jack back like in my old ereaders I used to test for work 10 / 15 years ago. Well, you can always wish for some nice new options, but this was and is a great new step for our family in the future of ereading.

Last edited by snoeki; Yesterday at 06:43 PM.
Old Today, 08:34 AM   #487
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad Air 2, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura,KGlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, the H2O2 is already shipping. It's available from Kobo and Chapters.
I didn't realise anyone other than reviewers had them in their hands! thomas, others, I'd love to see great photos of the lighting at various colour temperatures, if you ever have the time/inclination.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:38 AM   #488
geekraver
Addict
geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.geekraver can eat soup with a fork.

Device: iPad Pro,Nexus 7,Kindle Paperwhite,Kobo H2O Ed 2
Does anyone have suggestions on covers for the new model? According to Kobo's site the cases for the edition 2 and original version are not interchangeable. I've seen some sites pushing original edition cases for the new version though, and I have not found any covers specific to the new version other than the one from Kobo itself.
geekraver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:41 AM   #489
MGlitch
Guru
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura One
It may take some time for cases for the new edition since it had a fairly quick release after the announcement about it.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:43 PM   #490
snoeki
Connoisseur

I bought the original kobo covers for the new H20 today (blue and black one). I don't like the flap on the right site, I hated it. But after some reading today I think I can live with it for now and perhaps I can understand why the flap is needed, I prefer a hard cover.

my wife hates her cover, but there is no other cover available at the moment, so we will use them and decide in the future if we buy new ones. I think after one day of testing we will spend another 40 dollars on non brand covers when avaiable (hard covers) and sell of dispose the original ones.

If anyone knows why the flap on the right site is handy. please let me know. It just feels stupid while reading. I enjoy to put my fingers between the ereader and the cover and the flap is now also there for I guess no reason.

But to be honoust, the quality and the looks of the original covers is really great. Too bad they are not cheap.
Old Today, 07:17 PM   #491
k9reeder
Connoisseur
k9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab S2, Kobo H2O
Quote:
I bought the original kobo covers for the new H20 today (blue and black one). I don't like the flap on the right site, I hated it. But after some reading today I think I can live with it for now and perhaps I can understand why the flap is needed, I prefer a hard cover.

If anyone knows why the flap on the right site is handy. please let me know. It just feels stupid while reading. I enjoy to put my fingers between the ereader and the cover and the flap is now also there for I guess no reason.

I understand why you feel the flap is an annoyance while reading. I have an original cover for the original H2O, which has no flap.

While my cover is stiff, the spine isn't at all, so there's some travel the cover can do across the face of the device. And the only thing that keeps the cover closed is a fairly weak magnet. Now, the last thing I want to do is to get the screen scratched. When I travel, the device is susceptible to being moved around unattended.

Scratch/damage prevention is the major reason I bought the cover in the first place. So I tend to put a rubber band around the cover for a bit of extra security when I'm on the move with it. Sometimes I think a flap would have been a nice addition for extra security, but yes, it would probably feel like less of a "book experience" when reading with it on.
k9reeder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:18 PM   #492
Wicked John
Wicked John began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Aura
Quote:
I find it difficult to test, I think it's difficult: there are a lot of light settings on this new device and if you have the brightness really high and I have it low, I can tell you perhaps it last 1000 hours and if you buy it and use full light settings it will perhaps last for 100 hours.

We attach our ereaders to the usb powercable every week, so after reading about 15 hours. Is there perhaps an option in the firmware to see how long you read? Can I use the reading statistics for this? I am not sure because I was a Kindle fanboy and only this new firmware with the new home menu made me think: I need a kobo now.

I will come back on this question in the near future when I have tested the new device. It will take a few weeks though because I fall asleep after reading more than one hour. I wish I could marathon read, it would be great for my study, but I like to sleep...

Discharging while in sleep mode is interesting. I can easily test this next week, but I need to upload first all my books to the ereader and it's incredible hot overhere at the moment, so I am not much behind the computer uploading new books to the ereader the next few days, but I will test it in my garden in my little swimming pool.
No pressure man, any feedback is welcome, what you said about the battery is right, I usually used dropbox to download books (it was buggy thought but it worked).
Wicked John is online now   Reply With Quote