Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #16
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Not if support for removable media or docking keyboard are important.
I don't see how a docking keyboard would be of any use on a 7 incher, an external keyboard is for speed and convenience, two things you are certain to miss on such a tiny keyboard.

For storage, if you have the need, then that's a genuine reason to look elsewhere.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I added the specs for the Galaxy Tab 2 to the OP for comparison. Unless you need the additional storage capabilities of the SGT3 (16GB + 64GB) vs those of the SGT2 (8GB + 32GB), then they're essentially the same device.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #18
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'm not judging until I know more, all 1ghz (1.2 in this case) chips aren't equal and I'd be surprised if this one wasn't very capable.

Probably won't be buying one on account of already having a Nexus 7 but I wouldn't write this off just based on what seem to be pretty minor spec bumps that said I'm more interested in their premium Note branded line.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
I am picking up idioms.
"Kick the tires." "Check the oil."

Maybe a reasonable "cheap ride!"
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I'm not judging until I know more, all 1ghz (1.2 in this case) chips aren't equal and I'd be surprised if this one wasn't very capable.

Probably won't be buying one on account of already having a Nexus 7 but I wouldn't write this off just based on what seem to be pretty minor spec bumps that said I'm more interested in their premium Note branded line.
That, (keeping the Note brand the premium) is most likely the rationale for producing the Tab 3. The Tab 3 helps keep the pricepoint of the Note lineup stable. Without the Tab series, there would be marketing pressure to reduce the price of the Notes.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That, (keeping the Note brand the premium) is most likely the rationale for producing the Tab 3. The Tab 3 helps keep the pricepoint of the Note lineup stable. Without the Tab series, there would be marketing pressure to reduce the price of the Notes.
That kind of marketing means I look elsewhere for my tablet needs.

The reality is that Samsung is becoming Apple and expects customer loyalty to sell their products; no matter how good or bad the specs are. Pricing is irrelevant.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #22
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

The reality is that Samsung is becoming Apple and expects customer loyalty to sell their products; no matter how good or bad the specs are. Pricing is irrelevant.
The fact that they have a cheap tablet means that they have a different strategy than Apple does. Samsung seems to try to make products for different markets.

I'm not interested at all in 7" tablets, but I'm not going to criticize a company for making products that I'm not interested in.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #23
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

That might be your reality.

They're not expecting people to get in on the Tab series and then upgrade to the Note out of customer loyalty. I have not seen any indication that they expect people to upgrade at all.

Pricing is not irrelevant. Samsung needs the Tab series to establish a baseline "budget" tier tablet. This type of market segmentation is something out of "Marketing 101". Auto makers do it. So do gadget makers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
The fact that they have a cheap tablet means that they have a different strategy than Apple does. Samsung seems to try to make products for different markets.

I'm not interested at all in 7" tablets, but I'm not going to criticize a company for making products that I'm not interested in.
Agreed.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #24
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
That might be your reality.

They're not expecting people to get in on the Tab series and then upgrade to the Note out of customer loyalty. I have not seen any indication that they expect people to upgrade at all.

Pricing is not irrelevant. Samsung needs the Tab series to establish a baseline "budget" tier tablet. This type of market segmentation is something out of "Marketing 101". Auto makers do it. So do gadget makers.

Agreed.
Samsung could have been "volks"sung. "People" devices.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #25
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
The Tab 2 7" was a good buy for a cheap tablet last year if you value an SD card.

I bought a refurb for my daughter over a year ago for $159. It's not as fast as our Nexus 7 tabs, and Touchwiz sucks (give me stock Android any day) but the SD card slot was more valuable than the speed. I can drop some My Little Pony episodes on it when we go on trips and stuff.

This is just a minor tweak of the product. As long as it stays in the Nexus 7 $199 and below price-range it should still be a good bargain buy.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #26
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
The Tab 2 7" was a good buy for a cheap tablet last year if you value an SD card.

I bought a refurb for my daughter over a year ago for $159. It's not as fast as our Nexus 7 tabs, and Touchwiz sucks (give me stock Android any day) but the SD card slot was more valuable than the speed. I can drop some My Little Pony episodes on it when we go on trips and stuff.

This is just a minor tweak of the product. As long as it stays in the Nexus 7 $199 and below price-range it should still be a good bargain buy.
I have to agree. I have been using a Galaxy Tab 2 7" for a while now and I love it. I will admit that if it was missing the SD card slot I would not have even considered one, it is a must have feature. The new Tab appears to only have minor improvements but I may get one anyway since they are priced so competitively...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Still with these specs that are offered I think I will pass. A much better buy now will be the Nook HD for a 7". Especially since they just opened Google Play to it.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #28
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And only a 1024x600 pixel screen? Ouch.
about right for a 7" screen

iPad mini with a 7.9" is only 1024x768

that said, I really tried to enjoy tablets and even my eInk reader, but nothing beats a smartphone in features, mobility and comodity...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
...iPad mini with a 7.9" is only 1024x768...
And the thing most people were complaining about when that came out was the screen. It should be better and so should the Galaxy 3.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Just picked up a Galaxy Tab 2 for $150 from the grocery store. Plan to gift it.