Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Thanks DROM and Thomass! (**hands out karma**) Are there any other languages people want this guide translated to?
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #17
DROM
DROM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard/3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
Thanks DROM and Thomass! (**hands out karma**) Are there any other languages people want this guide translated to?
It is a pleasure and the ultimate goal of a forum is to help each other with usefull information, isn't it?. I thought it was useful and could help some spanish people like me, we met with our Kindle bricked.
I think it would be interesting to solve in the manual for noobs the problems we have encountered people like me, we have stuck completely.
For reference of what I'm saying... here (I don't know if I posted in the correct place). Of course I'd be pleased to translate into Spanish theese results or anything else or any other noobs guide.
DROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
cyjeff
cyjeff doesn't littercyjeff doesn't littercyjeff doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I found an announcement from 2011 September 11 that gitbrew.org "will cease to exist", with a request to mirror portions of that site: http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Gitbrew

Perhaps dasmoover did not see that warning when he provided storage for some of our forensic images?

If gitbrew.org remains offline, we need copies of those images hosted elsewhere.
I cannot get access to gilbrew.org too. :S Is there any backup for the image mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip?

Quote:
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to at least run the guide through Google Translate for a couple of languages and if people want to, improve on those tranlations? That might be of use, especially for some new people whose first language isn't english.
I can prepare a Chinese version of it. Before that, I should debrick my K3 first. There are so many K3s to be debricked in China. XD Many tutorials on Chinese web forums use the serial port method, it's somehow complicated for me.
cyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #19
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjeff View Post
I cannot get access to gilbrew.org too. :S Is there any backup for the image mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip?

I can prepare a Chinese version of it. Before that, I should debrick my K3 first. There are so many K3s to be debricked in China. XD Many tutorials on Chinese web forums use the serial port method, it's somehow complicated for me.

yes, I like ATK much better than the serial debrick... i have found (on my windows partition) the pastebin images, so i will find another place to mirror them...
Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The K3 images were stored on gitbrew, which is not online at this time. dasmoover said in another thread that gitbrew should be back online in two weeks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-04-2012 at 09:30 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #21
qlob
Official Lurker

Ahhhhhhhh that explains it I should have those images hosted soon(hopefully around 3-4 hours.)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
kln
kln began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Can somebody provide me with size and offsets for the K3 kernel and root fs in Kindle memory?

I'm trying to de-brick my K3 and with gitbrew being down I want to take a dump from a working K3 and flash that onto my bricked one.

The instructions for debricking the K3 using the ATK state offsets for the kernel and root fs, however, no size is specified since flashing will just stop when the image file ends.
kln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #23
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kln View Post
Can somebody provide me with size and offsets for the K3 kernel and root fs in Kindle memory?

I'm trying to de-brick my K3 and with gitbrew being down I want to take a dump from a working K3 and flash that onto my bricked one.

The instructions for debricking the K3 using the ATK state offsets for the kernel and root fs, however, no size is specified since flashing will just stop when the image file ends.
The getkernels script will extract it automatically from the first 32MB of /dev/mmcblk0 on the kindle, or from an image file...

getkernels:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174674

As the source code shows, the main kernel starts at 0x41000. Its length is obtained from the flash header at the start of the image.

To extract the RAMfs image that is inside the kernel image, there is a reference later in the getkernels thread to another offsite script that can do that.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #24
cyjeff

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhh that explains it I should have those images hosted soon(hopefully around 3-4 hours.)
Thanks. I have found a backup of the image. Now I'm still trying to debrick. My first trial failed and it drained the battery. Now the device is being recharged. The process is really time consuming. (Maybe it's me being too impatient.)
Old 08-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #25
molineli
molineli began at the beginning.

Could someone kindly send me a copy of mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip (or provide me a link to it)? I am trying to debrick my kindle keyboard. Thank you.
molineli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
cyjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by molineli View Post
Could someone kindly send me a copy of mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip (or provide me a link to it)? I am trying to debrick my kindle keyboard. Thank you.
I've put it on my dropbox. Check if you can get access to it.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28951792/mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip
Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #27
BrianG8
BrianG8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3G+WiFi
I am also in need of the mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip file. Can't find it anywhere else.
Any suggestions?
BrianG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #28
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Unfortunately, without thinking, i have managed to wipe my windows partition containing the images... Time to go find a recovery tool...
Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #29
rbl
rbl began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjeff View Post
I've put it on my dropbox. Check if you can get access to it.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28951792/mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip
Thanks a lot.
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #30
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG8 View Post
I am also in need of the mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip file. Can't find it anywhere else.
Any suggestions?
What problem are you having with the link in the post directly above your own post?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3