Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
SeNS
Enthusiast
SeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enough

Device: Google Nexus 7
Good news from LightWedge

Just got a responce from LightWedge (it's about "frontlight" model for Reader)

Quote:
We are very happy to hear that you are enjoyed our product! We have been contacted by Sony Reader and have been working to provide a complimentary lighting device. This product will become available late November and will be sold at various retailers and on our sister web site www.biggerandbrighter.com.

Again we are so pleased to hear that you were happy with our product. We are looking forward to providing more innovated reading utilities in the future!

Sincerely,
Customer Service
LightWedge
SeNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
This is very good news. I do hope that it will be a sort of clip-on system so you won't have to hold the light together with the Reader. Only thing that makes me curious is if the device will touch the screen. To function good it probably will but I'm a little scared to get scratches on the screen.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wonderful news SeNS!!! That's a big deal for a lot of people. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it works!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This seems appropriate.

Lotsa good news lately.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I sort of like this light myself. Looks like it would work pretty good.
http://www.biggerandbrighter.com/mm5...ry_Code=travel
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
I sort of like this light myself. Looks like it would work pretty good.
http://www.biggerandbrighter.com/mm5...ry_Code=travel
Hi Karen,

Read through this topic, because I have that on as well. I posted detailed pictures.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that's the one DiabloNL ended up with, and he was mostly pleased with it (other than modding it to control the light level).

I've got one of these -- the model that Sony recommended -- and it works well enough. I'd far rather have the lightwedge.

I've seen both those models at Barnes & Noble, if you want to try them out.

Now that LightWedge is apparently going for it, I think I'm in less of a hurry to try making some kludged-together frankensteinian monstrocity of my own.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:40 PM   #8
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I will have to check it out..... not that I do much reading at night but if I wanted too, LOL........ usually at night I am glued to the tv or falling asleep. Would be good when we go camping and there is nothing to do at night and sitting outside by a campfire freezing my butt off which I will be doing next weekend, ha ha.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #9
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Woot. This sounds fabulous. I am all atwitter. So glad I didn't rush out to sell my Reader.

Edited to add: Is it wrong of me to want it to draw power via USB? It would be so much lighter. The battery operated ones just poop out (a technical term) so fast.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:20 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

No, not wrong, as such, da_jane. I like the idea too, but I think I'd rather be draining something other than my built-in, non-user replacable (a totally other can of worms, that ) battery, which has had some involved dispute as to whether draining is good for it or not.

As a side note (and to show that I've been thinking about this ), the SD & Memory stick standards both include power to the cards, a clever person, with the correct skills might be able to modify one of those memory stick adaptors to draw power from the card slot. I don't know for sure if it would work, as I don't know whether the power is always available or not, and it would, of course, preclude using the memory card slot for a memory card while powering the light from it, but ....
Old 11-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I agree with the USB power idea IF:
1) It wouldn't cause strain on the port, and
2) The battery life would not be drained significantly more than playing audio on it.

However, I'm afraid that #2 might not hold -- wouldn't a light, even an LED light, drain a battery faster than an audio player?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:10 AM   #12
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

LEDs, as I understand them, are much lower power drain. You may need more LEDs, however, to sufficiently light an area. So, I suppose you have to balance it.

Of course, I have no idea what I am talking about....
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:26 AM   #13
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
I find it interesting how many times homonyms can make for vast differences in meaning.

If Light Wedge is creating a "complimentary" reading light, then all we need do is show the salesperon a Reader and receipt or same. I'm guessing that the Customer Service Bot meant "complementary." Even so, a free reading light would be nice on a $385 machine (let us not neglect taxes in our out the door price).

l;-
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #14
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

I don't think that is how they meant to use the word Complementary....... I think they used it as in *for an enhancement*...... I don't think we will be seeing anything free, although yes that would be nice. How many things does one get free these days. Well I have to take that back, I did a legite servey and was mailed one of those Senseo coffee makers. And I do like it,
Old 11-17-2006, 09:12 AM   #15
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I think that's the one DiabloNL ended up with, and he was mostly pleased with it (other than modding it to control the light level).

I've got one of these -- the model that Sony recommended -- and it works well enough. I'd far rather have the lightwedge.

I've seen both those models at Barnes & Noble, if you want to try them out.

Now that LightWedge is apparently going for it, I think I'm in less of a hurry to try making some kludged-together frankensteinian monstrocity of my own.
I am going to head off to my nearest Barnes and Noble this morning and see if they have both these lights. IMO I would think the lightwedge would be much better because it does light the whole page and not spotlight like the others do. So I will see how that fits (if it will)..... I could see that being cumbersome for people using regular books but since we don't turn paper pages there isn't anything to get in the way.