Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
swerve
UK Enthusiast
swerve began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/treo 650 (Hanlin V2/ REB/Librie)
Reader for UK and/Europe

Does anyone have any info on the Reader being released sometime in 2007 in the UK and/Europe?
swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve
Does anyone have any info on the Reader being released sometime in 2007 in the UK and/Europe?

As far as I know Sony has no intention for the moment to release the Reader in Europe.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2006, 02:34 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When I contacted Sony a couple of months ago they said that there were currently no plans to release it in the UK. That's why I bought mine from eBay . They did say, however, that they were receiving a large number of enquiries about it from the UK and the rest of Europe, which is good news.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:42 AM   #4
swerve
UK Enthusiast
swerve began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/treo 650 (Hanlin V2/ REB/Librie)
Apparently there is an article in Stuff magazine about a UK/European launch in 2007. I haven't seen it yet though.
swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
I tried looking for it on their site and had no luck. I'd appreciate it if someone could provide a reference (URL or magazine issue)
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #6
kahm
kahm is on a distinguished road

Device: 505/Librie/Zaurus/iPhone
I'd be happy with a launch in the rest of North America
kahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahm
I'd be happy with a launch in the rest of North America
Me too! This is so frustrating! kahm how far are you from the border? I'm 50 miles away, 150 from the nearest reseller. The thing is, i'd have to buy with no warranty(I've been had before) and crossing the border is not easy with the ongoing paranoia!!

I'd rather have it without fuss or feeling like a smuggler!

Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:13 AM   #8
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
I think the Stuff news was just rumours, which I heard on their podcast - the quality of their news and reviews is as good as "The Sun" newspaper.
I got some more Readers off EBay, the prices are starting to come down a bit now. One of them got through customs without Tax - got delivered very quickly.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:22 AM   #9
MikiBroki
MikiBroki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi all,

I'm from Spain (sorry my english isn't good). I bought my Reader from USA via Ebay, I choosed a seller with 300+ votes, all positives, and paid via Paypal.

I paid 370€ for it, plus 60€ to the seller for expenses of shipment (with guarantee), and 60€ more when item arrived (customs).

Maybe people from UK could have good luck... an Ebay seller from UK told he bought one Reader in a duty free in a UK airport...

Last edited by MikiBroki; 12-12-2006 at 08:25 AM.
MikiBroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:21 AM   #10
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Just got another one off Ebay (£251 inc P&P) but customs taxed it, £36 which isn't bad. Exchange rates for US Dollars are excellent at the moment - making the Reader a decent buy even with the markup and import tax.

Last edited by FangornUK; 12-14-2006 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:15 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK
Just got another one off Ebay (£251 inc P&P) but customs taxed it, £36 which isn't bad. Exchange rates for US Dollars are excellent at the moment - making the Reader a decent buy even with the markup and import tax.
It's wierd how import taxes appear to be a complete "lottery". I paid about the same as you for my Reader, but I finished up paying £69 duties. Mine was sent via the USPS and finished up here with ParcelForce. I had to pay about £49 import tax and VAT, and a £20 "processing charge" before ParcelForce would give me the package.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:17 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK
I got some more Readers off EBay, the prices are starting to come down a bit now. One of them got through customs without Tax - got delivered very quickly.
Just curious - are you re-selling them in the UK? I have a friend who might be interested in buying one, if you are.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:22 AM   #13
FangornUK
Addict

Tax depends on the marked value on the parcel, thankfully the EBayer put the real value of the item on the parcel.
I've bought them for myself and gifts for relatives - once people see it they want one.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:28 PM   #14
wiseman
wiseman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
No plans on EU distribution yet. A "european" version may show up for 2008!!!
wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:17 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
If I were in Europe I'd take great interest in Bookeen. They're in Paris and the features of their device are quite similar to the Sony's.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote