Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #181
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I was browsing my cable company's streaming app to see if HBO (which is included) already has episodes of Mare of Easttown available (it does). But I also discovered that the fifth season, 25 episodes, of The Avengers is available. Not the current Avengers superheroes, but the British TV series that started in 1961 with Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg!

In my early teens there were several years the public TV service would air The Avengers each weekday in the early evening. We would always watch during dinner.

I just realized that The Avengers to me still is a summer series. Just like the Robin of Sherwood is a Christmas series, it was always aired during the Christmas vacation in the morning as part of the children's programming. The latter I watched again several years ago, I'm not sure why they thought it was appropriate for children.

To me Mary Poppins and Who Framed Roger Rabbit are Christmas movies, since they were always aired at Christmas. And The Sound of Music was/is aired either on December 31 or January 1.
As I listen to Wodehouse audiobooks on my walks I can't help but wish I could hear one read by Patrick Macnee. And sad as it is to lose Diana Rigg, the striking resemblance of her daughter Rachel Stirling makes her almost as much fun to watch...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:45 AM   #182
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Almost finished all series of 'Eureka'. A show I had never heard of, but I watched a quirky show recently called 'Warehouse 13' and read online that 'Eureka' is linked show,with character cross-overs. They also linked a series called 'Alphas' which I gave a go, but it failed to grab me, unlike the other two!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #183
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
This week I've been watch the Eurovision Song Contest, tomorrow is the final and my sister will come over so we can watch it with our parents.

The other nights I've been watching the first season of Law & Order: SVU. I started over a year ago, watched half of the season and stopped, for whatever reason. I decided to finish it. In some ways it hasn't aged well, the views on the LGBTQ+ community are probably typical for its time, but now it just doesn't sit well with me.

Lately I have been moving from one series to another, sometimes not even finishing a season. I just can't seem to find anything I really like. I did finish watching the second season of Travellers, which I enjoyed, but I'll hold off with watching the third and final season. I'm not sure what I want to watch when I finish L&O: SVU. Something not too long, 10-12 episodes is my maximum at the moment for a binge watch.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #184
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Finished watching SyFy's Warehouse 13 and Eureka. Now watching Stitchers - mildly entertaining with some familiar actors from the other shows.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #185
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried to watch The Fourth Kind (2009) tonight, but switched it off half way through. Not because it was a bad movie, I was enjoying it. But because of the different in sound volume. Most of it was normal volume but there were times when the sound suddenly exploded in volume. I'm glad I wasn't wearing my headphones, because it would have been painful! It was done as a jump scare, but it was much too loud. To prevent further ear-shattering shocks I turned down the volume, but then I couldn't follow the dialogue properly. After the third or fourth noise explosion I had enough.

A shame, the movie didn't need violent, auditory jump scares.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:58 PM   #186
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Finished watching SyFy's Warehouse 13 and Eureka. Now watching Stitchers - mildly entertaining with some familiar actors from the other shows.
With the exception of the almost inevitable shark-jumping in the final series, Eureka was a firm favorite. One of Wil Wheaton's best roles too, imo.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:36 AM   #187
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Just started streaming 'The Mentalist'. It has been around on terrestrial TV for a few years but was shown at all different times and not always in order;so I waited until now! I am enjoying it for what it is, a lightweight(ish) crime series,not as dark as for instance 'Criminal Minds' or 'NCIS' at its darkest.
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 01:05 PM   #188
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm about to watch the final episode of Mare of Easttown. I've been avoiding spoilers all day, but it's finally available on the Dutch HBO/Ziggo app.

After that I'll probably watch a horror movie on Netflix.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:44 AM   #189
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I started watching Clarice a couple of nights ago.

It's about Clarice Starling and is set about a year after what happened during The Silence of the Lambs. I like that it's set in the early 1990s and that they didn't set it in the present. Clarice, and others involved in the Buffalo Bill case, are still dealing with the effects of the case. Meanwhile, Clarice is also trying to find her place within the FBI.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:25 AM   #190
Camellia
She / Her
Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I've been re-watching an old favourite - HBO's Oz: "A series chronicling the daily activities of an unusual prison facility and its criminal inhabitants" (IMDB). I first watched it in my teens, and not only have I got the blessing of a terrible memory that's allowing me to experience a lot of scenes "like new", but now that I'm older, it packs way more of a punch.
Camellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #191
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
I've been re-watching an old favourite - HBO's Oz: "A series chronicling the daily activities of an unusual prison facility and its criminal inhabitants" (IMDB). I first watched it in my teens, and not only have I got the blessing of a terrible memory that's allowing me to experience a lot of scenes "like new", but now that I'm older, it packs way more of a punch.
I really loved that series as well. I think only the first two or three seasons were aired properly. Later seasons they aired new episodes in batches with older episodes in between.

There were so many good actors in that show. I have put it on my list of series I want to revisit. Thank you for reminding me.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:59 AM   #192
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Watched the first and only season of Limetown over the weekend. Although it's a good series I feel I'm missing some details. And it's not only because of the open ending. I've got the podcast it's based on already on my iPod, I'll have to listen to it soon now.

Yesterday I started watching Queens of Mystery. A British mystery series. The actors are good and the basic storylines are also good. But they do ram the quirkiness and the cutesiness down your throat. It's only six episodes in total, and I'm half way through (one mystery is two episodes) so I'll finish it. But if there's ever going to be further seasons released (which I doubt) I won't be watching it.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:07 AM   #193
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Watched the first and only season of Limetown over the weekend. Although it's a good series I feel I'm missing some details. And it's not only because of the open ending. I've got the podcast it's based on already on my iPod, I'll have to listen to it soon now.

Yesterday I started watching Queens of Mystery. A British mystery series. The actors are good and the basic storylines are also good. But they do ram the quirkiness and the cutesiness down your throat. It's only six episodes in total, and I'm half way through (one mystery is two episodes) so I'll finish it. But if there's ever going to be further seasons released (which I doubt) I won't be watching it.
QoM wasn't great but I'll watch anything with Julie Graham. We just finished S1 of Candice Renoir and S7 of Brokenwood Mysteries, which is starting to get a bit stale - though I suppose making it in 2020 was a challenge. Got the prime day 99 cent Acorn subscription so several new series to try...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:04 PM   #194
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
QoM wasn't great but I'll watch anything with Julie Graham. We just finished S1 of Candice Renoir and S7 of Brokenwood Mysteries, which is starting to get a bit stale - though I suppose making it in 2020 was a challenge. Got the prime day 99 cent Acorn subscription so several new series to try...
I finished QoM, and it kinda grew on me. I'm also a fan of Julie Graham. I read that a second season is commissioned by Acorn. So I'll probably watch it when I'm in the mood for something quirky.

I still need to watch the latest season of Brokenwood, but I'm going to watch season 16 of NCIS first. I had planned to watch season 16 and 17 last summer, but that didn't work out.

Netflix also released a bunch of new series that look interesting. Most of them aren't in English (I refuse to use dubbing). I'll need to see how to fit those in now I'm cycling less on the hometrainer (ideal for watching non English series I discovered) and I'm cycling more outside.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:38 AM   #195
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I watched the "first" season of Upload, on Amazon Prime, last year. It came out just as the pandemic was shutting things down. It got the okay for a second season, but things dragged on. My understanding is that the second season has finally been finished and should be available either by the end of this year or early next year. (I'll have to re-watch the first season before I start the second.)

The series is set in a near future where people who die can have their personalities "uploaded" to a virtual reality. The quality of this afterlife is, of course, governed by how much you can afford. We do get a glimpse of the really cheap accomodations.

Several episodes into the series a new plot element was added. It's perfectly logical, and yet I never saw it coming. I'm really looking forward to season 2!

As an aside, much of the series was filmed at the Mohonk Mountain House, in New York state. When the kids were younger we made a couple of trips there. The scenery is pretty spectacular.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote