Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-07-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
Deina97
Deina97 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Note
Spellcheck no longer works

My spellcheck in Editor has stopped working over the last few updates.

Did I somehow turn it off? I've gone into settings, and everything looks alright. Spellcheck had been working for many years.

Deina97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:15 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A WAG
Check the configuration folder; dictionaries
and see if there are multiple entries AND a JSON file
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2022, 08:36 PM   #3
lomkiri
Zealot
lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
(Another guess) :
For all books ? (I mean : Did you try with another book ?)
If not, maybe the language of the culprit is not defined correctly (in the opf or in the header of the html pages).
lomkiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:21 PM   #4
Deina97

Dictionaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
A WAG
Check the configuration folder; dictionaries
and see if there are multiple entries AND a JSON file
I don't see any JSON files.
I Have:
en-US.aff
en-US.dic
locales

Those are in the C:\Program Files\Calibre2\app\resources\dictionaries\en-US directory
Old 11-07-2022, 11:22 PM   #5
Deina97

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomkiri View Post
(Another guess) :
For all books ? (I mean : Did you try with another book ?)
If not, maybe the language of the culprit is not defined correctly (in the opf or in the header of the html pages).

Yes, I tried it in several different books
Advert
Old 11-08-2022, 02:11 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deina97 View Post
My spellcheck in Editor has stopped working over the last few updates.

Did I somehow turn it off? I've gone into settings, and everything looks alright. Spellcheck had been working for many years.

Do you have multiple monitors?

Is Spellcheck window displayed ?

My guess is that the Spellcheck window is out of sight, it's non-modal so you will still have access to the main window.

If you use Windows try these tricks ==>> Move a Lost, Off-Screen Window Back to Your Desktop[

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #7
Deina97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Do you have multiple monitors?

Is Spellcheck window displayed ?

My guess is that the Spellcheck window is out of sight, it's non-modal so you will still have access to the main window.

If you use Windows try these tricks ==>> Move a Lost, Off-Screen Window Back to Your Desktop[

BR
No, I'm using a single monitor
.The Spellcheck window opens and says there are no misspelled words
Old 11-08-2022, 04:39 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, I'm using a single monitor
.The Spellcheck window opens and says there are no misspelled words
Ah, I think I may have managed to manufacture your situation. I'm assuming you haven't added any spelling dictionaries - is this what you get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-09 082042.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	197611

If it is, go to Edit->Preferences->Editor settings->Manage spelling dictionaries. If you get this:

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-09 082827.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	197612

…then ot would seem you have 'lost' the default English and Spanish spelling dictionaries.

Simplest way to get them back is to reinstall calibre - that means an uninstall and new install - you wont lose any libraries or preference settings in doing that.

Which operating system do you use - Windows, Linux or MacOS?

BR
Old 11-08-2022, 06:56 PM   #9
Deina97

Quote:
Ah, I think I may have managed to manufacture your situation. I'm assuming you haven't added any spelling dictionaries - is this what you get:

Attachment 197611

If it is, go to Edit->Preferences->Editor settings->Manage spelling dictionaries. If you get this:

Attachment 197612

…then ot would seem you have 'lost' the default English and Spanish spelling dictionaries.

Simplest way to get them back is to reinstall calibre - that means an uninstall and new install - you wont lose any libraries or preference settings in doing that.

Which operating system do you use - Windows, Linux or MacOS?

BR
I use Windows 10

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre a couple times, with no affect.

I went out to https://extensions.libreoffice.org/e...h-dictionaries and downloaded the newest English dictionary and added them as new. Didn't do anything.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:35 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I use Windows 10I have uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre a couple times, with no affect.I went out to https://extensions.libreoffice.org/e...h-dictionaries and downloaded the newest English dictionary and added them as new. Didn't do anything.
What does Preferences->...->...->Manage spelling dictionaries have in it?

I've added Australian and French dictionaries so mine has this:

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-09 132634.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	197615

A freshly installed Calibre Portable has this:

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-09 133618.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	197616

BR
Old 11-09-2022, 04:07 PM   #11
Deina97

Quote:
What does Preferences->...->...->Manage spelling dictionaries have in it?

I've added Australian and French dictionaries so mine has this:

Attachment 197615

A freshly installed Calibre Portable has this:

Attachment 197616

BR
Mine has United States in bold, with <Builtin dictionary for English-US> and dict-en-20221101 below it.

It's weird, I opened up another EPUB and Spellcheck works with it!

Is there something that can be set on an EPUB so it won't allow spellcheck? I know the others that I opened had spelling errors, but couldn't find them.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:53 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

If it is only happening on particular books then the language is probably specified incorrectly within the book, at the top of the text files, you should see something like this:

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en">
But, if the lang tags reference a language for which you don't have a dictionary (e.g. 'pl' for Polish) then you will get no spelling errors.

When I changed a book to this:

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="pl" xml:lang="pl">
I was sort of surprised that I didn't get a message something like:

Quote:
'This EPUB has 'lang=pl', but you don't have a Polish dictionary"
BR
Old 11-09-2022, 09:44 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
In addition, see the setting for dc:language in the opf metadata of the epub.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:41 AM   #14
Deina97

When I added lang="EN-us" xml:lang="EN-us" to the second line of an EPUB file that spellcheck didn't work in before, it started working on that file.

But I checked one of the files where Spellcheck does work, and it had no lang= statement. ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Old 11-10-2022, 01:50 AM   #15
Deina97

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
In addition, see the setting for dc:language in the opf metadata of the epub.
YES!!!

That was the problem! It had:
<dc:language>ca</dc:language>
When I changed it to:
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
it worked!

Tags
edit book, spell-checker, windows 10