Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
Hannah215
Hannah215 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Reading Menu is missing

Hello...this is my first Kobo, and I am still trying to learn how to use it properly. I was very frustrated trying to figure out how to go back to the table of contents menu, while reading. I discovered that there is supposed to be a "Reading Menu" pop up,(that offers a lot of options), when you tap the middle of the screen. However, on my Kobo that doesn't happen. Either the screen just flashes, or the regular menus on the top and bottom of the screen come up. But not the Reading Menu....so disappointing. I believe the firmware is up to date, it is the 3.17.3 version. Am I doing something wrong or is there a fix for this? I really want that menu!

Also, I came across another feature that my Aura H20 doesn't have. In the advanced part of the fonts menu, there is a sharpness option that I saw in a review for the regular Aura. Isn't it supposed to be there in the H20 menu as well? Thank you for any help you may have concerning these issues.
Hannah215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm slightly confused about your Table of Contents and Reading Menu question. When you tap the middle of the screen as you've already seen you get the top and bottom menubars. On the bottom menubar Reading Settings is one of the options on the pop-up menu when you tap the bottom right icon (3 horizontal bars). Similarly Table of Contents is one of the options when you tap the <-> icon on the bottom menubar.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2015, 11:24 PM   #3
Hannah215
Hannah215 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Thank you Jackie for your reply.....from what I understood, tapping the middle of the screen would bring up an additional menu (in the middle of the screen), much like the "Go To" menu in Kindles that has many options. Maybe I was wrong, and just misunderstood. I am embarrassed to admit that I have overlooked the <-> icon, and I thank you for pointing it out to me. That will be a big help for sure, but I can't help but wonder about the mystery "Reading Menu" referenced in the Users Guide. Thanks again for your very helpful input!
Hannah215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
What functions are you expecting in the "Reading Menu"? I suspect any function you are looking for are in the menus you're finding, just deeper down (pressing some buttons in menus will bring up additional menus).
The "sharpness" function was folded into the "weight" function quite a bit ago, so you won't find it in any of the newer firmware versions.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:14 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah215 View Post
Thank you Jackie for your reply.....from what I understood, tapping the middle of the screen would bring up an additional menu (in the middle of the screen), much like the "Go To" menu in Kindles that has many options.
There can be a similar effect to what you describe because some of the footer menus are 'sticky':

If you leave the navigation <-> menu open and tap the book page to return to the book instead of tapping on the footer to close the menu, then the next time you tap the centre of the screen the footer will appear with the navigation menu already open.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert