Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-10-2022, 04:10 AM   #16
nodoka
nodoka began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG&Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Hopefully, there'll be an international release. If it's as good as Onyx or better, I would consider buying this instead. I believe Huawei can create better products.

Ultimately, it will depend on the possibility to install apks. And whether or not Huawei's bloatware can be disabled.
It can install apks, check this review video
https://youtu.be/PVywIPTr740
nodoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:49 AM   #17
kicooo
kicooo could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kicooo could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kicooo could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kicooo could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kicooo could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kicooo could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kicooo could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kicooo could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kicooo could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kicooo could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kicooo could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Huawei Matepad Paper
I sold my Remarkable 2 in order to buy this one or an Onyx Boox because the rm2 is too limited and the lack of backlight it was making me tired.

However, although the Matepad Paper is supposed to be released today in China, I asked Huawei Store in Spain and they have no idea when it will be available in Europe. And I cannot wait so long and indefinitely.

Do you really think it is much better than the Onyx Boox Note 5, for instance?
kicooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:31 AM   #18
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicooo View Post
I sold my Remarkable 2 in order to buy this one or an Onyx Boox because the rm2 is too limited and the lack of backlight it was making me tired.

However, although the Matepad Paper is supposed to be released today in China, I asked Huawei Store in Spain and they have no idea when it will be available in Europe. And I cannot wait so long and indefinitely.

Do you really think it is much better than the Onyx Boox Note 5, for instance?
The screen on the Note 5 is significantly darker than on the Note Air 2. So buy the latter one, which is also cheaper, if you need something immediately.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 10:56 AM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
A review --> https://www.xda-developers.com/huawe...aper-hands-on/

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:49 PM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Thanks Peter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Quote:
For context, a Kindle Oasis (the highest-end Kindle on the market) costs €229. The Huawei MatePad Paper retails for €499 in Europe, which is significantly more expensive.
Actually because it has apps and 10" only a few Android based eink are comparable. I know what the 7.8" Boyue Mars is like for Android apps, very hit or miss. Actually Amazon has nothing comparable.

So sort of Elipsa price territory. The Oasis is nothing like comparable as it's only an ereader and has only a 7" screen and can take NO apps. The Elipsa can have KO reader added easily without jailbreaking, but basically only takes programs customised for the Kobos.

The only odd things are the fingerprint sensor and speakers. I can't see any compelling reason for this over the other Chinese Android eink 10.3" models with a stylus. Having read about them and used the 7.8" Boyue Mars I decided the 10.3" Elipsa, which includes the expensive stylus and cover was a better idea to proof check PDFs for POD, read larger PDFs and take separate notes with the handwriting recognition.

Bigger than 7" to 8" is too big to relax reading novels (epub or Kindle converted to epub).

In the end I was so impressed with handwritten notes converted to text and the size of the Mars (7.8") I bought the Sage (8") to read recreationally and take notes generally or take notes while proofing our own texts on the original Libra.

Unless you need PDFs that don't work at 8" then there is no point to any 10.3" eink. Large and heavy. I'm glad I never bought the larger Sony Digital paper. It turns out that the Sage is as good as the Elipsa for recognised handwritten notes. I use the Elipsa pen.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:57 AM   #21
carpler
carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
It is June and there is still no news about the marketing of this model in Europe.
The model is certainly interesting, but I think I will prefer the Kobo Elipsa, not least because of the lower price (plus the fact that it is currently the only one of the two to be available for purchase!).
carpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:22 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sony, reMarkable and Elipsa 10"

I got a second hand reMarkable as well as a new Elipsa.
1) reMarkable has no onboard handwriting recognition/conversion, uses "cloud service", which now needs a subscription!
2) reMarkable does epub by converting to PDF!
3) reMarkable 2 weighs more, replaces matte plastic front that's not too slippy with glass front harder to write on and has no page or home buttons. Slight CPU upgrade.
4) Both reMarkable models have only 6 G byte flash for PDFs!
5) Elipsa reading is the same as any Kobo and simple KOReader install for auto-crop PDFs. The reMarkable PDF viewer does crop, but you need complex install of KOReader for epubs.
6) No mass storage or MTP mode on reMarkable, uses USB network and browser or an application for some OSes.
7) The Sony 10" & 13" Digital paper are really virtual PDF printers and useless without the host program (only some OSes).
8) The Elipsa screen looks better
9) Kobo bought in Nebo, one of the top handwriting, shape and maths conversion tools. It's also on Mac, Windows, iOS/iPadOS and Android if you have a digitiser and active stylus. The nebo files can be used on the other platforms and it exports docx, text and HTML. The basic notebooks are images and export PDF or PNG etc.
10) No host app/program is needed with the Elipsa. USB mass storage and simple copy of exported files. 100% Calibre support for epub , PDF, series, collections, covers and copy back text annotations.
11) With 32 Gbyte Flash (most of it free) the Elipsa hardly needs SD card. No SD card on reMarkable.
12) Elipsa and Sage use the same design of pen/stylus as the MS surface (version without OneNote BT is fine). The reMarkable allegedly uses a custom Wacom EMR (not same as standard Wacom pen) pen; advantage is no battery, but disadvantage is ALL Wacom pens are powered from the digitiser system, a big increase in tablet/ereader consumption compared with 6 months for 30c AAAA cell or about a month for rechargeable pens/stylus/pencil.

Be suspicious of ANY product that needs a cloud service or host program/app for any functionality. Avoid anything that does use USB mass Storage or USB-MTP.

The Huawei 10.3" eInk MatePad Paper would need to be at least as good or better than the Elipsa.

Does it decently convert handwriting as well as Nebo?
What 3rd party pen/stylus works?
How is stuff exported?
Will it be 100% functional without WiFi or Internet?

A second-hand reMarkable is only OK if cheap and wanted for PDF novels.

EDIT:
Previously I incorrectly claimed: Elipsa is a real 300 dpi, the others are lower resolution. All the 10.3" are 226 dpi?

Last edited by Quoth; 06-13-2022 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Error on Elipsa DPI
Old 06-13-2022, 11:50 AM   #23
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
8) The Elipsa is a real 300 dpi, the others are lower resolution.
Wrong - elipsa has the same resolution (227 dpi).
No 10,3 Inch 300 dpi EInk display exists.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:53 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Wrong - elipsa has the same resolution (227 dpi).
No 10,3 Inch 300 dpi EInk display exists.
I'm thinking of the Sage then.

However the Elipsa is otherwise superior in every way.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:14 PM   #25
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm thinking of the Sage then.
All ~ 8 inch devices have 300 dpi
Quote:
However the Elipsa is otherwise superior in every way.
No - Ive sent it back.
It is not comparable to the Boox devices and certainly not to a Likebook Alita:
neither in terms of performance nor equipment.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:32 PM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
All ~ 8 inch devices have 300 dpi
No - Ive sent it back.
It is not comparable to the Boox devices and certainly not to a Likebook Alita:
neither in terms of performance nor equipment.
I was referring to Elipsa compared to reMarkable. I didn't even allude to the Alita or Boox. Also I only have the Likebook Mars and it's ONLY plus point is being able to run Android Apps. It's abysmal at being a library of ebooks compared to Kobo or even Kindle. I only use the Mars now for the Borrowbox App of the Irish County Limerick Libraries.

But you'd thing the reMarkable is fabulous if you believed the hype. So I will be cynical about the Huawei until some real users (not sponsored bloggers) give feedback.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:35 AM   #27
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
But you'd thing the reMarkable is fabulous if you believed the hype.
It always depends on what you want to use it for: as a pure Notes device, the Remarkable 2 is excellent, but otherwise useless in my opinion.
I write eg. preferably with a long pencil (center of weight on hand contact) on paper; so I prefer the typing feel on my P10 or P78 Pro to anything else.
For other tasks I use different ones.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:59 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
It always depends on what you want to use it for: as a pure Notes device, the Remarkable 2 is excellent, but otherwise useless in my opinion.
Natively the reMarkable 2 is only a sketch pad. It's actually less functional for the stylus than original (slippier glass screen) and less functional for PDFs (no buttons). Same limited 6G byte and no sensible method to import / export.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:19 AM   #29
carpler
carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Finally, the MatePad Paper was officially put on sale here in Italy. The price seems really high to me (499€, although in the first weeks there will be a 50€ discount on purchases from the official Huawei store).
Is there a serious review of this tablet?
I am particularly interested in comparing it with Kobo Elipsa, which seems to me to be its direct rival.
carpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:45 PM   #30
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpler View Post
I am particularly interested in comparing it with Kobo Elipsa, which seems to me to be its direct rival.
No - it's halfway comparable to the Boox devices (no Google Play Store); technically far superior to the Elipsa.