Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Cybook not recognized by computer

My computer doesn't recognize my cybook. It shows as "unknown device" in the device manager, I get a message "USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it."

I have no access to folders, so I can't add or delete any files. With an SD card in it, it's still not recognized, nor is the card.

It's also not recognized by the mobipocket desktop. It just keeps telling me to plug in the new device, as if I hadn't already done so. (I wouldn't expect it to be recognized when the computer itself doesn't recognize it.)

It's connected, it has charged from this usb hub. I use the hub often and I know it works. It's on 100% charged. I've tried updating drivers of everything under usb in the device manager. I've tried uninstalling the usb controllers, rebooting, and reinstalling (suggested on the microsoft website for "unknown device" issues). I've tried having the cybook connected and turned on when I boot the computer, and I've tried hooking it up with the computer already running. I downloaded a bunch of updates from windows update, including .net framework 3, hoping some update was needed that I didn't have. I have searched the Dell and Microsoft websites for "cybook" and found nothing. Of course Bookeen's site has nothing, nor does their owner's manual. I don't know what else to try.

More things tried:
----------------------------------
It also shows up as "unknown device" when signed in as administrator in safe mode.

I also tried using a different usb hub (the one the mouse is attached to so I know it works) and that made no difference.

I also tried the troubleshooter connected to the unknown device entry in the device manager, it didn't help.
----------------------------------

I wrote to Bookeen but don't expect to get a reply before at least tomorrow.

I've got windows xp, home edition. Version 2002. SP 2.

Obviously, if anyone has any idea how to fix this, I'd be very appreciative.

Last edited by cmbs; 12-25-2007 at 06:00 PM. Reason: adding more things I tried that didn't work
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
tcmoon
Connoisseur
tcmoon is on a distinguished road

Device: slate pc
with Cybook unplugged go to Device Manager & Delete the USB Device with the exclamation, close & then try reconnecting the cybook. It may be in the mass storage, I don't remember but this did happen to me once.

Last edited by tcmoon; 12-25-2007 at 12:28 PM.
tcmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmoon View Post
with Cybook unplugged go to Device Manager & Delete the USB Device with the exclamation, close & then try reconnecting the cybook. It may be in the mass storage, I don't remember but this did happen to me once.
Thanks for your reply

With the cybook unplugged, it doesn't show up in the device manager, and at no time is there an exclamation by it. It's simply listed as "unknown device".

I tried uninstalling with it plugged in, then search for new hardware. It was found, and listed as unknown device, same "not recognized" message in the lower right corner.

Last edited by cmbs; 12-25-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
Thanks for your reply

With the cybook unplugged, it doesn't show up in the device manager, and at no time is there an exclamation by it. It's simply listed as "unknown device".

I tried uninstalling with it plugged in, then search for new hardware. It was found, and listed as unknown device, same "not recognized" message in the lower right corner.
Re-install WinXP.

I say this because my out-of-the-shipping-box HP with WinXP installed at the factory has *NEVER* given me this problem with the Cybook.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Re-install WinXP.

I say this because my out-of-the-shipping-box HP with WinXP installed at the factory has *NEVER* given me this problem with the Cybook.

Derek
Thanks for the reply

I actually just reformatted and reinstalled windows about a month ago. I'm not going through that again any time soon if I can help it, and if that's what is required to make the cybook work, they can have it back.
Advert
Old 12-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
cmbs
non-believer

It also shows up as "unknown device" when signed in as administrator in safe mode.

I also tried using a different usb hub (the one the mouse is attached to so I know it works) and that made no difference.

Last edited by cmbs; 12-25-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If you have a USB port which you don't need while working with the Cybook, try plugging the Cybook cable directly into your machine. I've found that some devices don't work well if plugged into external USB hubs. That frustration and that of needing access to CF, SD and XD cards at the same time drove me to getting a machine with 7 USB ports and a built-in memory card reader.

Derek
Old 12-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
If you have a USB port which you don't need while working with the Cybook, try plugging the Cybook cable directly into your machine. I've found that some devices don't work well if plugged into external USB hubs. That frustration and that of needing access to CF, SD and XD cards at the same time drove me to getting a machine with 7 USB ports and a built-in memory card reader.

Derek
I don't have an external usb hub. It's plugged into the computer. There's two in the front and several in the back. I tried the front and also unplugged the mouse from the back to try that one. Same result.

I know the one in the front works, it charged the cybook, it reads a usb pen drive and it works with my camera.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. I want this darn thing to work.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
I don't have an external usb hub. It's plugged into the computer. There's two in the front and several in the back. I tried the front and also unplugged the mouse from the back to try that one. Same result.

I know the one in the front works, it charged the cybook, it reads a usb pen drive and it works with my camera.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. I want this darn thing to work.
So tell me... When you've got the Cybook turned on - but not connected to the PC - and you first plug the USB cable into the PC and then plug the Cybook into the cable, do you get a dialog asking how you should treat it? One with options like 'Open with...' or 'Take no action'??? And have you experimented both with the SD card in place and removed?

See, when I have an SD card in place and I connect the turned-on Cybook, I get that kind of dialog. Also, when I right-click on the big GREEN 'Start' button on the Windows Taskbar, I get a menu in which the second choice (from the top) is "Explore". When I click on "Explore" I get a new window labeled "Start Menu" and I can see, in the left-hand treeview, a list of drives and directories. Near the bottom I can see my Cybook listed as: Cybook Gen3 (O (Yep, my Cybook is drive O) and when the SD card is in place, I see it listed as: Removable Disk (N.

I can't understand why you're not seeing this.

Derek
Old 12-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Have you checked that the cable is connected properly to the Cybook? I think that you can get the connected screen with the contact not pushed in properly.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
So tell me... When you've got the Cybook turned on - but not connected to the PC - and you first plug the USB cable into the PC and then plug the Cybook into the cable, do you get a dialog asking how you should treat it? One with options like 'Open with...' or 'Take no action'??? And have you experimented both with the SD card in place and removed?

See, when I have an SD card in place and I connect the turned-on Cybook, I get that kind of dialog. Also, when I right-click on the big GREEN 'Start' button on the Windows Taskbar, I get a menu in which the second choice (from the top) is "Explore". When I click on "Explore" I get a new window labeled "Start Menu" and I can see, in the left-hand treeview, a list of drives and directories. Near the bottom I can see my Cybook listed as: Cybook Gen3 (O (Yep, my Cybook is drive O) and when the SD card is in place, I see it listed as: Removable Disk (N.

I can't understand why you're not seeing this.

Derek

When I plug the cybook into the computer with it turned on (and any other order of plugging and on-turning) what I get is a balloon in the lower right corner that sometimes says "found new hardware" replaced after about one second with the "not recognized/malfunction" message I put in my first post. Sometimes it skips the "found new hardware" message and goes straight to "not recognized".

If I go to device manager, it's listed under usb as "unknown device".

It's recognizing that some new usb device is attached, but doesn't know what it is.

When I insert the SD card (which seems to be fine- clicking into place, etc), there is absolutely no difference. The computer is completely unaware that there is a SD card attached.

When I plug in my usb pen drive or camera I get the dialog you're talking about. They show up as another drive in the way you're describing.

My computer is just not recognizing anything about this device other than it's plugged into a usb port, and it's not aware of the SD card at all.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
cmbs
non-believer

There was no disk in the package with the cybook, and from reading their site and owner's manual, I don't expect that there would be. But for the record, you didn't have a disk which installed the cybook on your computer?
Old 12-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Are you using the shipped USB cable? Because a "normal" USB cable doesn't go deep inside enough because the housing stops it. Also be sure to push it firmly inside.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #14
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
Are you using the shipped USB cable? Because a "normal" USB cable doesn't go deep inside enough because the housing stops it. Also be sure to push it firmly inside.
I am using the cable that came with the cybook. It's pressed in firmly at both ends. I tested that about a hundred times.

Thanks for your reply
Old 12-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #15
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Have you checked that the cable is connected properly to the Cybook? I think that you can get the connected screen with the contact not pushed in properly.
Oooops, I missed this one.

Yes, it's pressed in firmly at both ends. And yes, I noticed that about the usb picture/screen. Makes it less useful, doesn't it. It'd be more useful if it were confirmation that you have a good connection.

Thanks