Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Kindle Special Offers ---

With the addition of several new Kindles (KPW - Fire 2 - Fire HD - Fire HD 8.9") to the Special Offers family, there are now seven SO Kindles to deal with. Amazon has offered device specific offers in the past and will continue to do so.

Current Active Offers

Note: the 1st gen Kindle Fire does not have a SO version and doesn't qualify for these offers.

Previous offers are archived in posts: 608 / 914 / 974 / 1245

Instructions for redeeming offers are found in post 622

Kindle Customer Service: 1-866-321-8851

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-05-2013 at 07:47 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alright, just opened my new KSO. It was already registered, so all of my content was there. I just have to organize my collections and download a few items; primarily the books on my TBR list and all of my games.
  • Screensavers: there are only 4 and all of them are ads/offers.
  • Home Page: shows a small ad at the very bottom, synced to the current screensaver.
  • Main Menu: between Settings and Experimental is an entry for View Special Offers.
That's it. These are the only things different from my K3 WiFi. I'll list the ads/offers in my next post.
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Thanks Tubemonkey! I'm very interested in what the ads look like, I'm looking to get me mother-in-law an e-reader and considering the Kindle with ads.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

These are the current ads/offers:
  • Buick Regal - ad
  • Amazon Visa - offer: $30 GC; don't get this, $100 GC will be offered soon
  • Olay Cream - ad
  • Visa - offer: $10 Amz credit with ebook purchase (48 titles available)
This is the link to the Visa ebook offer:

Exclusive Offer for Kindle with Special Offers Customers: Use your Visa card to buy select bestsellers and classics and get a $10 Amazon.com credit

* Remember: these offers are exclusive to this model only; all other Kindles are ineligible.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-30-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
Thanks Tubemonkey! I'm very interested in what the ads look like, I'm looking to get me mother-in-law an e-reader and considering the Kindle with ads.
You're welcome. Check this link out to see what the screensavers look like.

It'll be a great gift. The small ad at the bottom of the home page doesn't bother me at all. Besides, I spend very little time on the home page to begin with.
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
thanks for keeping us posted, tube. I think it's a good deal (no-brainer if you want/need an Amazon Visa).

I'm very curious on 2 points:
1) will the deals stay this enticing
2) will all offers be across-the-board, or are they going to tailor offers to the user
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I didn't know there would be ads, like for Buick and Olay. I thought there would only be offers.

I can imagine that certain ads tailored for specific non-fiction books might be interesting, but otherwise I'm against it.

Thanks tubemonkey.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
thanks for keeping us posted, tube. I think it's a good deal (no-brainer if you want/need an Amazon Visa).

I'm very curious on 2 points:
1) will the deals stay this enticing
2) will all offers be across-the-board, or are they going to tailor offers to the user
1- yes; see below; #6 on the list is the current offer
2- generic at this point; who knows what they have planned for the future?

You'll receive special offers directly on your Kindle. Examples of the special offers that will be available in the initial weeks include:
  • $10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card
  • $6 for 6 Audible Books (normally $68)
  • $1 for an album in the Amazon MP3 Store (choose from over 1 million albums)
  • $10 for $30 of products in the Amazon Denim Shop or Amazon Swim Shop
  • Free $100 Amazon.com Gift Card when you get an Amazon Rewards Visa Card (normally $30)
  • Buy one of 30 Kindle bestsellers with your Visa card and get $10 Amazon.com credit
  • 50% off Roku Streaming Player (normally $99)
Old 04-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I didn't know there would be ads, like for Buick and Olay. I thought there would only be offers.

I can imagine that certain ads tailored for specific non-fiction books might be interesting, but otherwise I'm against it.

Thanks tubemonkey.
Yep, both ads and offers; but I don't notice them. When I'm done reading, I just close the cover and slide the power switch off. When I'm ready to read again, I pick up my Kindle, slide the switch on, then open the cover to the page I left off. Turning it on and off with this method completely avoids the ads, because I never see the screensavers; just book.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:

Thanks tubemonkey.
Well, the ads are needed to pay for the offers (and, obviously, to generate more money for Amazon).

(I couldn't find a shrugging emoticon, so just pretend that there's one here)
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Interesting. I really don't need another reader right now, but I might consider it in the future if the price drops below $100.

So ... can you turn the WiFi off like usual?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
So ... can you turn the WiFi off like usual?
Yes; it works exactly like a K3 WiFi. It just has a different set of screensavers and that small ad banner on the bottom of the home page.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Quote:
Thanks tubemonkey.
You're welcome.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Hmm... the $10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card promo came through...
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
emathieu
emathieu began at the beginning.

Device: K3 w/Special Offers, iPad, iPhone 4, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
Hmm... the $10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card promo came through...
Yep, I just took advantage of this one.

I'm a long time lurker from way back and was still using my original Kindle 1 I bought at launch.

I thought that the Kindle with special offers was a great way to upgrade to the K3, especially if the offers continue to be as good as promised - it will basically reduce the price of the device.

I have taken advantage of the $10 for $20 and the $10 credit for buying a bestseller offers already, so I'm very happy with it (and can't believe how much better the K3 is than my K1!). I spend money at Amazon anyway, so these offers are not going to make be spend more than I normally would, but they will lower my costs. Hopefully they will continue to be great offers.

So far, very pleased with the device, and the ads (non-offer ones) are a complete non-issue for me.

Last edited by emathieu; 05-01-2011 at 11:17 AM.
emathieu is offline   Reply With Quote