Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-14-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
New Amazon Fire HD 8

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-...9510457&sr=8-1

Read all about it.
Faster (1.3 to 2.0) for 30%
12 hour battery life
USB-C (wireless charging option)
Double the memory (32g or 64g)
2gig ram up from 1.5gig
up to 1tb microsd card

Apparently the same screen.

I've bought each new HD8 for some years now. This is a nice upgrade. We'll see how I feel come Black Friday (or Amazon Day) deals.

However, my use of the Fire Tabs has pretty much stopped since I got my iPad Mini with 512gig storage. And I have a house full of the last gen HD 8's and a Walmart Onn 8" tablet that fulfill the "bring something cheap along so you won't cry so much if you use it".

But...were I making regular use of the HD 8's I own, I'd definitely buy this. I still may.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:24 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
PPI too LOW. Dont understand why they wont do 300 PPI ...grrrr
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2020, 04:16 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i see they added JSWolf's favourite USB C fast charge port
not much else has changed
I still have a 2017 one gathering dust - can't find anyone to lend it to !

LOW PPI keeps the price down. its adequate for 720p streaming on 8 inch screen.
I doubt many people will buy it primarily for the reading experience
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:23 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
PPI too LOW. Dont understand why they wont do 300 PPI ...grrrr
Because it only costs $90.
This is a cheap and cheerful device that you can give to the kids and not worry too much about it being damaged.
They are not trying to compete at the top end.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:31 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Because it only costs $90.
This is a cheap and cheerful device that you can give to the kids and not worry too much about it being damaged.
They are not trying to compete at the top end.
that's exactly why i bought my older one

Amazon quit the high end when they dropped the HDX range
target market is folks who will shop amazon, use prime video, maybe read a book occasionally, use Alexa ( the new ones are dockable for hands free voice )

& they have realized that their app store will never compete with google/apple. they offer just enough apps to offer a basic service.

off topic, but i noticed recently when messing with my HD 10 that Google DNS is locked in, if you set up your own DNS then 8.8.8.8 gets added. Maybe it goes away if you pay to remove special offers - I think its done to ensure you get the amazon adds. So I cant use only customisable OpenDNS & lose the clickbait like I can on my other devices.
Advert
Old 05-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That extra $90 would be well worth it to me & others that READ on their Fire Tablets... & doing other things too. Why tote around Fire & Kindle ... thats Crazy! AND Cost just as much if not MORE than $90 of having a Kindle
Old 05-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Can you side-load books to a Fire device from Calibre? Or can you only download to the device from the Amazon Kindle store?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
That extra $90 would be well worth it to me & others that READ on their Fire Tablets... & doing other things too. Why tote around Fire & Kindle ... thats Crazy! AND Cost just as much if not MORE than $90 of having a Kindle
I guess they did their market research and found there are not enough people like you

{- or like me, I'd love a 2020 Fire HDX but it ain't gonna happen.}

and that you will probably give in and buy a e-ink-kindle and a fire tablet
why sell one gadget when you can sell 2

FWIW I can read quite happily on the HD 10, in 2 page landscape. dunno what the ppi comparison is between that & the HD 8 . HD10 is FHD, so more pixels but its a bigger screen area which dilutes the ppi

Last edited by stumped; 05-15-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Can you side-load books to a Fire device from Calibre? Or can you only download to the device from the Amazon Kindle store?
IF your PC see it as an Added Device Yes. You can Also DL the App SEND to Kindle & Calibre can send ebooks to your Amazon account then they can send to what Devices you have on the account for you ... no connecting to PC at all. Then there is the Email to Device option tho that Never worked for me. I can now Side load to my Fire 10... but new PC like old PC wont except the Older Fire HD gen 2/3.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i guess they did their market research and found there are not enough people like you

and that you will probably give in and buy a e-ink-kindle and a fire tablet
why sell one gadget when you can sell 2

FWIW I can read quite happily on the HD 10, in 2 page landscape. dunno what the ppi comparison is between that & the HD 8 . HD10 is FHD, so more pixels but its a bigger screen area which dilutes the ppi
And yet the HDX Flew off their shelves... too high priced for ME, tho had I knew it had the 300 PPI I would have figured a way to buy one. OOOO I Didnt NEED it back then!
Old 05-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Then you are not their target market.
This is not aimed at people looking for a tablet they will mostly read on.

Quote:
Great for entertainment and downtime

Enjoy endless entertainment: Millions of movies, TV episodes, apps, eBooks, and songs—plus games you can play distraction-free in Game Mode. Stream and download videos from Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, and SHOWTIME or make video calls on apps like Zoom.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
IF your PC see it as an Added Device Yes. You can Also DL the App SEND to Kindle & Calibre can send ebooks to your Amazon account then they can send to what Devices you have on the account for you ... no connecting to PC at all. Then there is the Email to Device option tho that Never worked for me. I can now Side load to my Fire 10... but new PC like old PC wont except the Older Fire HD gen 2/3.
like she say: there are at least 3 ways: windows copy via USB
calibre copy via USB
wireless via via Calibre companion or similar apps
send to kindle delivery system

none are foolproof, going by the help request threads, but all work for most of the people, most of the time.
Note that you need google store etc installed to get a good, well maintained epub reader app. Amazon app store is crap.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I use USB to Side load epubs to my Samsung phone [use a Pocketbook app on] & Kobo Clara & Aura [older 6" cant read on any more ppi 212 too blurry... but does make a great backup storage device ]

Last edited by Barbara1955; 05-15-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
And yet the HDX Flew off their shelves... too high priced for ME, tho had I knew it had the 300 PPI I would have figured a way to buy one. OOOO I Didnt NEED it back then!
Depends on the value of "flew off".
Once Amazon stopped trying to compete at the high end of the tablet market their sales balloned to where they're third globally and tops come the holiday season.

Remember, the purpose of Amazon hardware is to promote their content ecosystem; subscriptions ideally (KU, Prime, Freetime, etc) or discrete sales Kindle store. The hardware sells cheap because it sells at minimal margin and they make the money when people use it.

As it stands there are few small tablets above 1280 resolution. And they're not cheap. It's not Amazon alone. The market has effectively standardized on 1024 for 7in and 1280 for larger. Full HD is rare even on affordable 10in tablets.

The people buying tablets today just aren't as interested is resolution as on speed and storage.

Check this to see what the Android market looks like at 8in;

https://joyofandroid.com/best-8-inch-android-tablet/

This one is actually available:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/b011tvf5qc/tag=crazya0d5-20

Its older than the Fire Tablets because that class of Abdroid tablet doesn't move fast.

Your best bet for a more modern high res small tablet is the iPad mini or a large phone. if you get the phone unlocked it can be used as a wifi tablet.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/samsung-a20s-...wirelesssr=1-6

My own preference is full HD so I waited for a sale on the HD10 but even that is nowhere near 300dpi. Not that it needs it since the ebook apps I use all use subpixel addressing to effectively double text resolution.

If 300dpi or better text is a must, well, there's still eink.
(The latest Paperwhite is fast, sharp, and light. So are most Kobos.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #15
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
off topic, but i noticed recently when messing with my HD 10 that Google DNS is locked in, if you set up your own DNS then 8.8.8.8 gets added. Maybe it goes away if you pay to remove special offers - I think its done to ensure you get the amazon adds. So I cant use only customisable OpenDNS & lose the clickbait like I can on my other devices.
I was very interested and concerned when I read that you couldn't specify your own DNS. I checked with my Fires, and I found that I could enter OpenDNS, and it seems to persist after a reboot. The most recent OS I was able to try it on was 6.3.1.2. Does the problem only occur on more recent OSes?

It was a little tricky to enter my own DNS. Google's 8.8.8.8 was pre-entered. When I backspaced to delete it, the whole IP popped back as soon as I deleted the final 8.

The fix was to not delete the final 8 and then enter the first part of OpenDNS, so you have 8.208.67. Then you can delete the left-most 8 with the 208.67 remaining. Then add the 222.222. It gets saved and persists through a reboot. I entered a non-existent DNS to test if it is ignoring the customer entered DNS. Addresses were then not resolved proving that it does use the customer entered DNS.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote