Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
See, you cannot do it because you need two physical copies of the book. Collections are for eBooks where you can have the same one eBook in multiple collections.
Collections were used by libraries centuries before the digital era -- check the Bodleian Library's collections. See About our special collections for instance.

Looking at two local libraries (VPL and UBC library), they have multiple collections. Since I have used them, I have trouble believing the Bud Osborn Poetry Library Collection, the Grandview-Woodland Collection, the Indigenous Collection, and so on do not exist? The special collections in the University of British Columbia's library do not exist?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #32
ozgurs
Enthusiast
ozgurs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If I put a copy of Stranger in a Strange Land (hard cover 1st edition) and a second copy of Stranger in a Strange Land (hard cover 1st edition) on two different shelves, I will invite you to tell the difference with the naked eye. There may be two physical copies but even the most dedicated of hairsplitters is going to have issues arguing that they are not the same book. Perhaps you would like to argue that a copy of an ebook on my Forma is not the same book as the identical file on my XYL's Libra H2O?

Dear friends,

thank you for your intention to help ebook reader community here,
but i think that you appreciate that this place is for people to ask issues about their ebook readers and so if they see our postings that have nothing with the main question of this thread, they might be not only confused but also feel they lose their time and get upset..

as i am opening the thread after seeing a new reply came several times today, but realising it is totally nothing with my question and a philosophy chat

i really disappoint...

thank you...

ozgurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@ozgurs, thread drift is a common practice on forums. This one is no exception.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgurs View Post

as i am opening the thread after seeing a new reply came several times today, but realising it is totally nothing with my question and a philosophy chat

For the most part, you will find questions being answered in the first page, maybe two pages of most threads. After that, thread drift does happen.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #35
ozgurs
Enthusiast

Ok..

Kobo Forma new user
Advert
Old 05-11-2020, 06:10 PM   #36
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
For the most part, you will find questions being answered in the first page, maybe two pages of most threads. After that, thread drift does happen.

“Thread drift” is such a concise, pleasant name for the sprawling monstrosity that often follows. LOL

But, yes, the conversations do tend to evolve. If the conversation drifts faster than you can get back to it, sometimes it helps to acknowledge the contributions of others, then reword your question if people’s answers aren’t helping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #37
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a collections related question.

My Kobo ereader replacement hasn’t arrived yet. I’ve been using the Kobo app on my iPad for the past half year. I see that collections has been added in the latest firmware, but the app has had Collections for ages. IIRC, so hasn’t the Kobo ereader. What’s new about them? Is this a change only for the ereaders? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I have a collections related question.

My Kobo ereader replacement hasn’t arrived yet. I’ve been using the Kobo app on my iPad for the past half year. I see that collections has been added in the latest firmware, but the app has had Collections for ages. IIRC, so hasn’t the Kobo ereader. What’s new about them? Is this a change only for the ereaders? Thanks.
Collections were added (originally as shelves) years back on the Kobo ereaders when firmware 2.0.0 was released. Calibre and the KoboTouch driver added support for shelves/collections in calibre 0.9.1 back in 2012 (it's been a few years but the Wiki agrees with my memory ).

Most of the arguments now come down to the directory structurers vs. the searchers as to which is the best way to go. I'm rather firmly on the search side since I find it too clumsy to page through pages of collections looking for a book. Possibly Kobo will make collections searchable in a future firmware update but in the meantime, life is too short to browse through pages of collections in the hopes of spotting one that will have a book you want to read.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:37 AM   #39
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
Ah yes thread drift or sometimes plain hi-jacking, frequently there's good information in the pages, sometimes amusing satire, and sometimes a great flame war which requires popcorn, but the mods here extinguish the flame's pronto if it's really off the rails.

ON topic: Is there any way to delete/remove the Collections menu if its un-populated ?.
I used to use Collections for Series, now there is a series menu but the reader defaults to Collections, I would like to have Series as the highlighted default. pardon my OCD :-)

Last edited by leftright; 05-13-2020 at 12:41 AM. Reason: aixelsyD
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:34 AM   #40
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Collections were added (originally as shelves) years back on the Kobo ereaders when firmware 2.0.0 was released. Calibre and the KoboTouch driver added support for shelves/collections in calibre 0.9.1 back in 2012 (it's been a few years but the Wiki agrees with my memory ).

Most of the arguments now come down to the directory structurers vs. the searchers as to which is the best way to go. I'm rather firmly on the search side since I find it too clumsy to page through pages of collections looking for a book. Possibly Kobo will make collections searchable in a future firmware update but in the meantime, life is too short to browse through pages of collections in the hopes of spotting one that will have a book you want to read.
Now that I have a shiny new Kobo Clara HD in my hands, I can see how the Series feature works. Now I can remove any collections that simply bundled a series for me and use Collections for genre groupings. It's a bit self-evident, now that I think about it, but thank you for taking time to answer my question.

~Dˢ
Old 05-13-2020, 04:39 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
Ah yes thread drift or sometimes plain hi-jacking, frequently there's good information in the pages, sometimes amusing satire, and sometimes a great flame war which requires popcorn, but the mods here extinguish the flame's pronto if it's really off the rails.

ON topic: Is there any way to delete/remove the Collections menu if its un-populated ?.
I used to use Collections for Series, now there is a series menu but the reader defaults to Collections, I would like to have Series as the highlighted default. pardon my OCD :-)
That's a question to ask about in the patch thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:44 PM   #42
ozgurs
Enthusiast

Quote:

I find both usable..

I use categories for MAGAZINES, BOOKS, REFERENCES etc..

series to group magazines such as Businessweeks, Times etc.

Kobo Forma new user
Old 05-14-2020, 12:57 AM   #43
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Yep - I see no problem at all with thread drift in a case like this, where the straightforward question was answered in the first reply.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote