Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
richy1989
Connoisseur
richy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & Kindle 4 Black
Cool [UPDATE] Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.6

Wow,

5.3.6 is coming!

Some tips from Amazon:

The software update includes the following enhancement:

Improvements when buying from a book sample
While reading a sample of a book, you can view the price of the full book and purchase from the reading toolbar with one tap.

Jailbreak,Kual,JBPatch,Come Together!

more about update 5.3.6:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...64850#download

Download Software Update 5.3.6
http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...ndle_5.3.6.bin

richy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
With an install file size of 164Mbytes, that is a full system image.

Anyone want to bet they changed more than the number of clicks it takes to buy something from them?

The good news (written for our non-tech readers): These full system image files are actually easier to audit for changes than the little incremental update files.

When (if) any of the development members get back from summer holidays - somebody will take on this challenge.

Meanwhile, stay in Airplane Mode until we can learn what has really been done to this version.
OR
Be sure you have the Kual.Firewall and Kual.BackdoorLock installed and activated.
OR
Be brave - do the update - risk only the loss of control over your own device (and let us know with a post here how that goes).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
weeeeeeee. I am so excited. can't wait
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #4
ksdafang
ksdafang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thumbs down a terrible update!

This update force my kindle to refresh every page.

I am going to downgrade to 5.3.5 right now.

Damn it!
ksdafang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
richy1989
Connoisseur
richy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel is

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
With an install file size of 164Mbytes, that is a full system image.

Anyone want to bet they changed more than the number of clicks it takes to buy something from them?

The good news (written for our non-tech readers): These full system image files are actually easier to audit for changes than the little incremental update files.

When (if) any of the development members get back from summer holidays - somebody will take on this challenge.

Meanwhile, stay in Airplane Mode until we can learn what has really been done to this version.
OR
Be sure you have the Kual.Firewall and Kual.BackdoorLock installed and activated.
OR
Be brave - do the update - risk only the loss of control over your own device (and let us know with a post here how that goes).

Hey,thank you.
So I decide to have the BackdoorLock.
I'm timid....

Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
richy1989
Connoisseur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdafang View Post

Damn it!
How high the temperature you there?
The 'refresh' is depends on the actual temperature sometimes.
Another way,
you can try to use the Duokan to solve this problem.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Damn it!
Did our jailbreak (the MR development certificate) survive the update to 5.3.6 ?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How does one back down to an earlier firmware?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Damn it!
Are you sure it's not some setting that's been reset that needs changing to fix this?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does one back down to an earlier firmware?
The ota updater on the Kindle does not detect "downgrading" in the case of a full system image.
ksdafang is about to test for us if Amazon has "fixed" this behavior in 5.3.6

So just "update" to an earlier Amazon full system image file.

There is a link in the first post of the paperwhite jailbreak thread to an archive of the Amazon system image releases. Just in case a user forgot to keep a copy of the earlier update images.

There is one note on the above -
Although version 5.3.3 and 5.3.6 are full system image files, they have our jailbreak access disabled.
But Amazon issued another full update (5.3.4) to re-enable it for us.

Last edited by knc1; 06-19-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
Can someone explain how to recognize a "full system image" versus an "incremental update"?
I have here 4 files:
update_kindle_5.3.3.bin 171618740 bytes
update_kindle_5.3.4.bin 171598529 bytes
update_kindle_5.3.5.bin 171667679 bytes
update_kindle_5.3.6.bin 171729463 bytes
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
Mooninite
Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle PW1 & 2
Screen Saver Hack is still OK

I just installed the 5.3.6 update. I had to reinstall the screen saver hack but it works.
Mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
richy1989
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Did our jailbreak (the MR development certificate) survive the update to 5.3.6 ?
After testing,jailbreak in 5.3.6 is are reserved.
Provided that you have jailbroken before update.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #14
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
Could someone running the 5.3.6 firmware test one thing, please.
Open any book, mark any word, there should a dictionary window appear.
Do you see any "Show Full Definition" button as in 5.3.4, or is it still gone as in 5.3.5 (there should also be the "Highlight" and "More" buttons, but I really care about "Show Full Definition")?
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Drat, another update. I just updated my PW a couple of weeks ago after the previous firmware failed to update automatically over wifi. If I remember correctly it was a large (163 mb - just checked it's still in my recycle bin) file I had to download that time as well.

I noticed the link up on the Amazon UK Kindle discussions forum for this update appeared just this past day as well.

*added* update just finished downloading so off to get my KPW and complete update before I forget ... and I will if I wait.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote