Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Old home screen or new?
Old home screen 30 38.46%
New home screen 29 37.18%
No preference 8 10.26%
What's a home screen? 11 14.10%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Nothing, but the patch also allows you to enlarge the book covers with the patch so it fills up more of the screen. It's nice looking, clean and uncluttered.

Edit: Here's a screenshot of the home screen with the third row removed and enlarged covers.
Sorry, I was talking about on the Kindle home screen. I was told you can hide the store recs there. So I was wondering what the Kindle shows in its place.

I've dropped the text links on the bottom of the Kobo home screen. I also increased the cover size, but didn't like how it looked, so switched it back.

I would like it if maybe the last book you currently read (so the one on the far left) was made larger than the other books on the same line, but that's not doable with patches.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #47
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I wouldn't mind if they did some sort of visual refresh to the tiles. Of course, I wouldn't mind the tiles as they were, either. There's no reason Kobo couldn't bring them back exactly as they were if that's what they chose to do.

In general, I just preferred the reflowable, customizable nature of the tiles to the more static home screen we have now.
the head hit the nail on = right words slightly in the wrong order

the old tiled home screen is considerably more user customizable than the new home screen. it's that's obvious it almost goes without saying.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
the head hit the nail on = right words slightly in the wrong order

the old tiled home screen is considerably more user customizable than the new home screen. it's that's obvious it almost goes without saying.

best wishes koboy
What did I say that was in the wrong order?
Old 06-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #49
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What did I say that was in the wrong order?
you didn't. i was referring to my own comment, the head hit the nail on = right words slightly in the wrong order granted it was a feeble attempt on my part to be humorous. my apologies it missed the mark.

it's a shame the question this thread/poll is asking wasn't asked 3 years ago at the time of the change from the old tiled home screen to the new home screen. although i suppose it's better late than never.

best wishes koboy
Old 06-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
you didn't. i was referring to my own comment, the head hit the nail on = right words slightly in the wrong order granted it was a feeble attempt on my part to be humorous. my apologies it missed the mark.
Doh! I just reread your post. Sorry dude.

Quote:
it's a shame the question this thread/poll is asking wasn't asked 3 years ago at the time of the change from the old tiled home screen to the new home screen. although i suppose it's better late than never.
It was. I remember. Like you, I held off on updating the firmware because I preferred the tiles. But finally, the improvements stacked up enough that I thought it worth the change.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:01 PM   #51
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Doh! I just reread your post. Sorry dude.

It was. I remember. Like you, I held off on updating the firmware because I preferred the tiles. But finally, the improvements stacked up enough that I thought it worth the change.
ok thanks for reminding me, it's good to know even now some people still miss/prefer the old tiled home screen.

best wishes koboy
Old 08-30-2020, 03:22 AM   #52
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
Quote:
So I think the 4.20.x software is great. There's enough features and improvements that in my opinion, anyone with a Kobo should be using it.

But as I was browsing around I saw some images of the old, tiled Kobo home screen and realized I do miss it. Am I the only one?

Here's a couple of screenshots comparing the old and new home screens. The images may be too small to be useful, but I wanted to make sure they fit the guidelines.
My Kobo mini still has that tiled screen. Between my wife and me we also have a kobo touch and a kobo forma with the newer layouts which are, in my opinion, a small improvement
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote