Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
erin.fordahl
erin.fordahl began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glow Light
Books not appearing on Glowlight after upload

Hi,

I've been trying to find posts with the same problem, but haven't seemed to find anything yet, so I apologize if this problem has already been addressed.

The situation: I have a Nook GlowLight Plus, and have been using Calibre to upload epub files onto the device. I have no problems with some of the books, but there are certain files that even after "sending to device" they don't show up on the nook screen. The files are in the nook; I can see them when looking at the files through Android File Transfer, and they show up as "On Device" in the calibre.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the files, I can access and open them just fine on my computer, it's just on the nook that they don't show up.

Could this be a problem with the nook itself? I thought maybe I was running out of space, but the settings on the nook show 2.45GB available. If anyone has had similar experiences or had the same problem I would really appreciate the info.

Thanks!
erin.fordahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I wonder if there is some error in the file that prevents the Nook from showing it?

As an experiment, take one of the books that isn't showing on the Nook, convert in Calibre from ePub to ePub and then send it to the device. See if that makes the book show.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
Albinobird
Albinobird began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Do all the books that are not appearing happen to have an apostrophe somewhere in either the title or author?

I've been encountering disappearing sideloaded books ever since updating the firmware, and I've narrowed down that the common factor with all the missing sideloaded books is at least one apostrophe in either the book title or the author name.

I'm almost positive this is an issue with the latest firmware, and the support people I've talked to so far have been of no help. I've even done a hard reset on the system (which doesn't actually factory reset the firmware, I was still on 46.2.13/4.6.2.42 after the hard reset). It's still an issue.

Just got off the phone with support, and they said I should be contacted by the correct department in the next few days. I'll follow up if there's anything of worth.

My temporary workaround for now is to manually update the books in Calibre that have apostrophes to remove that character. But I have a lot of books sideloaded, so I've only done this to some of the books. I'm looking at jumping ship to another e-reader due to this, since I can't read at least 25% of my library on the Nook now.

Last edited by Albinobird; 03-19-2017 at 01:43 AM.
Albinobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
Albinobird - In my experience phone support was worse than useless - they told me that only library books were able to be side loaded.
I tried something on my GLP that I found on the reviews section for the new Nook Tablet: inside the My Files folder on the GLP I created a folder called Books. If after adding an epub to the My Files folder the book did not show up on the GLP, I moved it to the Books folder. This worked in a lot of cases. On some books I moved the epub from the Nook Study folder on my PC to the GLP and this also worked.
I also found something that affected the books I tried to add through Calibre to the Nook Tablet that may work for the GLP. I removed the author's name from the epub file title itself and this helped. If there was a dash [like _ ] in the epub title, I took the dash and everything after in the title out and for some this helped.
Some of the books that were only available from Amazon did not work when added to the GLP through Calibre. I haven't tried the changing the epub title for those books yet, but with the Nook tablet, I was able to add the Kindle app and read those few with that.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
sososimps
sososimps began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus and Mac computer
Me too!!!!!!!

All of a sudden, books that I have previously read on my Nook are not showing up on it, even though Calibre says they're on the device. Calibre and Android File Transfer say I have 73 items, but only 63 showing up on Nook.

There is nothing wrong with the files, as I have read them on my device before (plus they open fine on my computer).

Would love to find a solution to this asap. One of my favourite books is now invisible. I even tried wiping my Nook to see if that helped, but it made no difference.

Regarding apostrophes - I've reloaded 3 books onto my Nook - there are none in one of the titles that is missing. There is a : but there is also one in another book that has correctly loaded.

Sometimes when I'm loading a new book, the cover of one of the missing books shows on my Nook for a split second, but then it disappears again.

Last edited by sososimps; 03-21-2017 at 08:43 PM.
sososimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Wow - I too have seen the missing books covers flash by. I thought I was losing my marbles. It is what prompted my to call support, which, as I said above, was useless.

I have also noticed that if you view your books arranged by author or title, sometimes the 'missing ones' will show up. Once you click on one of them, it will show up among the most recent books until you click on another of the 'missing' ones.

I have also noticed that sometimes the title or author will contain the word null. One author's name is listed as null null

Except for 5 of the 50 books that were only available at Amazon, all of my books showed up one way or another.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #7
sososimps

SOLVED

Unfortunately I can't try your work-arounds Tas03, because Android File Transfer will only let me look at the contents of my folders. When I try to create a new folder it says my device is not connected, or the screen is locked, neither of which are true.

But, when I looked into the file names on Android File Transfer, I could just edit the names to remove the apostrophes and the books now appear on my Nook. Yay!!! And the best part is that the apostrophes still appear in the title on my Nook, so I don't have to get annoyed by spelling errors.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:10 AM   #8
tas03
Zealot

sososimps: I didn't use Android File Transfer - in fact I don't even know what that is. I went through Explorer in Windows [I guess that is what to call it]. After turning the GLP on and connecting it to the PC [Windows 7], I open Computer and burrow down through the layers until I get to the files on the Nook. If the GLP is not on, the PC tells me it is not connected.
I have experienced something other people have noticed when transferring files to the GLP: it disconnects itself.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #9
sososimps

Tas03 I'm on a Mac, and the only way my Mac can see my GLP is via Android File Transfer or Calibre.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:51 AM   #10
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Same here

Glowlight 3, which I bought for the amber evening backlight.

Same problem -- nook not showing book files loaded from the Mac desktop to the Nook device on USB connection -- plus, when I take a break, the Nook forgets which book I was reading and that book also disappears from the books shown in the Library.

Sometimes I can find it by doing an Author search. Other times it won't appear.

Sometimes restarting or powering off and back on makes the book show up again.

Buggy!
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I just noticed today that some books are not showing in my library on my nook glowlight. Nothing to do with calibre.

I knew i owned the book so I used the search field on the nook. i was able to find it that way and once I downloaded it it was then in my library. How strange is that?

Last edited by HLS; 12-31-2017 at 09:13 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:26 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I just noticed today that some books are not showing in my library on my nook glowlight. Nothing to do with calibre.

I knew i owned the book so I used the search field on the nook. i was able to find it that way and once I downloaded it it was then in my library. How strange is that?
Sorry. I don't understand. These books that you know you added to the Nook, how did they get on there? Did you purchase them from B&N? Add them from Calibre? Add them from your computer in some other way?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #13
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Sorry. I don't understand. These books that you know you added to the Nook, how did they get on there? Did you purchase them from B&N? Add them from Calibre? Add them from your computer in some other way?
It has nothing to do with calibre. I do not use calibre

My B&N book purchases. They automatically show up when you activate a new device. You just have to click on it and download. The book count on the menu
showed 75 books. I have 80 and so 5 were missing. I scrolled threw my intire device and those missing 5 were no where but when useing the seach function it was then showing in my library then. How odd is that? Once I clicked on it to download then i was able to see it in my library
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #14
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Though I don't quite have the problem discussed here, one thing I've noticed about the Glowlight (3) is that it can be slow/sluggish to display side-loaded books. They do eventually show up after tens of seconds, though. Mildly annoying is that all sideloaded books "vanish" each time I connect it to my computer (which is frequent; I'm trying to concoct as good a set of Calibre conversion rules as I can, which necessitates testing).
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'm finding the Glowlight 3 to be the slowest reader I've used. But it turns pages quickly and that's all I really care about. I tend to stay in the same book and just keep it there so the slowness of navigating between books and menus isn't an issue for me.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, glowlight plus, nook