Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
Pdfreaderlover
Pdfreaderlover began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Updates or third party changes to Onyx Boox Max 2?

I just bought an onyx boox max 2.

I have to say, I really like the hardware (better than the Sony DPT RP1, because for some reason they decided not to add any page turn buttons).

But I think the software is deficient, and in some respects bizarre. (The sony DPT RP1 even more so from what I’ve heard. E.g. it doesn’t have a table of contents function...)

Things I find problematic with max 2’s software:
* you can’t just start writing with the pen. You have to first press the “extra options button” and then the scribble feature. (I literally see no reason for this whatsoever).

* You can’t do anything to the pdf when you’re in split screen note taking mode. E.g. you can’t write on it, or highlight, or anything. If you want to highlight you have to exit note mode, highlight, then go bath to note mode.

* there’s no split screen for reading two documents or two different pages of the same document at once (which is one of the things that attract me to the DPT. RP1).

There are more things that could be improved as others online have noted.

Is there third party software for the max2? Is it even possible to change the software of the max2 without Onyx’s permission? Or should I have checked for official updates somewhere?
Pdfreaderlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #2
doandongnguyen
doandongnguyen began at the beginning.

Device: Dpt-rp1
I agree with your points.

It is so stupid when the device do not enable writing mode for defaults. What the hell the buttons do? And even hands can turn page.

There is no 3rd party working well with boox decices in term of supporting pen.

Btw, the note taking app on Max2 is very poor.
doandongnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
Pdfreaderlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by doandongnguyen View Post
I agree with your points.

It is so stupid when the device do not enable writing mode for defaults. What the hell the buttons do? And even hands can turn page.

There is no 3rd party working well with boox decices in term of supporting pen.

Btw, the note taking app on Max2 is very poor.
Is there some kind of update I can download anywhere? I read online that there are different versions of updates. Namely a chinese one and an international one.

How do you update the device?
Old 05-23-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
doandongnguyen
doandongnguyen began at the beginning.

Device: Dpt-rp1
Sorry. I have no idea about the update.
doandongnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
DenisR
Connoisseur
DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdfreaderlover View Post
I just bought an onyx boox max 2.

Things I find problematic with max 2’s software:
* you can’t just start writing with the pen. You have to first press the “extra options button” and then the scribble feature. (I literally see no reason for this whatsoever).

* You can’t do anything to the pdf when you’re in split screen note taking mode. E.g. you can’t write on it, or highlight, or anything. If you want to highlight you have to exit note mode, highlight, then go bath to note mode.

* there’s no split screen for reading two documents or two different pages of the same document at once (which is one of the things that attract me to the DPT. RP1).

There are more things that could be improved as others online have noted.

Is there third party software for the max2? Is it even possible to change the software of the max2 without Onyx’s permission? Or should I have checked for official updates somewhere?
To write directly on a pdf, use Xodo, but you must first enable somewhere in Preference the pen / stylus. With Xodo, you can also add text, shapes, ... Xodo saves the pdf when you exit or change to another one. Take care that Xodo takes into account both the pen and the fingers or the palm. There are some delay with the pen, as for every application not coming from Onyx.

To read a document in 2 pages (landscape), use Librera. There is a post on this forum for it. You may find also in this forum the way to have 2 applications sharing the screen, hence be able to open 2 pdf simultaneously.

Don't forget that the Max 2 and Note run Android 6, so any Android application may be installed. But you must find the theme that properly render on an eInk device ...

For updates, look here https://onyxboox.com/support/boox_max2 but there are currently none.There is also an entry in Preferences for that.

Otherwise try to install an apk from mdp "AndroidSettings.apk" that you can find on this forum also. Ir will enable you to use the full Android settings.
DenisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
Pdfreaderlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisR View Post
To write directly on a pdf, use Xodo, but you must first enable somewhere in Preference the pen / stylus. With Xodo, you can also add text, shapes, ... Xodo saves the pdf when you exit or change to another one. Take care that Xodo takes into account both the pen and the fingers or the palm. There are some delay with the pen, as for every application not coming from Onyx.

To read a document in 2 pages (landscape), use Librera. There is a post on this forum for it. You may find also in this forum the way to have 2 applications sharing the screen, hence be able to open 2 pdf simultaneously.

Don't forget that the Max 2 and Note run Android 6, so any Android application may be installed. But you must find the theme that properly render on an eInk device ...

For updates, look here https://onyxboox.com/support/boox_max2 but there are currently none.There is also an entry in Preferences for that.

Otherwise try to install an apk from mdp "AndroidSettings.apk" that you can find on this forum also. Ir will enable you to use the full Android settings.
Thank you. Will those third party apps not use muuuuch more battery?

Also, has no one found a way to crack the Neo Reader and edit it? Or to replace the Neo reader with another app (so that if u go to your library, it will open with that app rather than the neo reader).
Old 05-24-2018, 05:49 AM   #7
DenisR
Connoisseur
DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
Quote:
Thank you. Will those third party apps not use muuuuch more battery?

Also, has no one found a way to crack the Neo Reader and edit it? Or to replace the Neo reader with another app (so that if u go to your library, it will open with that app rather than the neo reader).
No special use of battery with the applications I added. I don't power off the Max2, and it uses 1 or 2% each night in standby mode, with 5 or 6 apk opened (Xodo, PdfViewer, Fx file manager, Neoreader, Librera, Note and Shuttle) and about 10 books in use. I use Max2 for music score reading and annotating, music listening and epub reading several hours a day.
2 days of use and still 55% in battery.

NeoReader should soon be replaced by a new reader. For replacing the home screen, there are some posts here on it (and I am interested ! ) but no success up to now (and that should require to root the device).
DenisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
If you long press on a book/document in the Recently Read area on your homesecreen, you will be able to select which reading app on your device you want to open the book/document with.

In the popup box of available reading apps, there will also be a small box which you can check or uncheck which allows you to choose to make that app your default reading app.

So, if, for example, you choose to open a book/document with Moon+ Reader and if that box is checked, any subsequent books/documents will be opened by Moon+ Reader until you choose to set another reading app as your default reader.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:38 AM   #9
Pdfreaderlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
If you long press on a book/document in the Recently Read area on your homesecreen, you will be able to select which reading app on your device you want to open the book/document with.

In the popup box of available reading apps, there will also be a small box which you can check or uncheck which allows you to choose to make that app your default reading app.

So, if, for example, you choose to open a book/document with Moon+ Reader and if that box is checked, any subsequent books/documents will be opened by Moon+ Reader until you choose to set another reading app as your default reader.
Ah that is helpful, thank you! Do you know which apps are best designed for use onthe max2?
Old 05-25-2018, 04:40 AM   #10
Pdfreaderlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisR View Post
No special use of battery with the applications I added. I don't power off the Max2, and it uses 1 or 2% each night in standby mode, with 5 or 6 apk opened (Xodo, PdfViewer, Fx file manager, Neoreader, Librera, Note and Shuttle) and about 10 books in use. I use Max2 for music score reading and annotating, music listening and epub reading several hours a day.
2 days of use and still 55% in battery.

NeoReader should soon be replaced by a new reader. For replacing the home screen, there are some posts here on it (and I am interested ! ) but no success up to now (and that should require to root the device).
Thank you! Would it be safe for me to log in to my main android account in order to download paid apps? (Since the max2 doesn’t have any security password options). Or would someone be able to steal money or my financial data?