Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-11-2020, 06:53 AM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
There is no requirement that someone show they are legit, that is the base assumption. The requirement falls onto the person who is saying they are not legit to prove so. Simpy being a small company with a small presence does not (should not) call your integrity into question.
I've run across more than a few non legit ebooks on Amazon. Sometimes it's obvious, other times it takes some investigation. There are a few common give aways, but basically as long as it passes the smell test, I assume it's legit. I will say that I'm a lot more likely to put effort into validating it's legit if the author is still alive. There was a version of Lord of Lights that came out several years ago that very obviously didn't pass the smell test.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
There is no requirement that someone show they are legit, that is the base assumption. The requirement falls onto the person who is saying they are not legit to prove so. Simpy being a small company with a small presence does not (should not) call your integrity into question.
Over time, dealing with small single author publishers is something buyers will have to get used to, especially for older author catalogs. Especially on the ebook side where there is significantly more money to be made bypassing the traditional publisher. Now, these folks aren't self-publishing, but rather, almost certainly, their agent is running the operation. The term is "agent-assisted publishing". (Lois Bujold has been doing that with her recent novellas.)

What makes it a certainty is that copyright law has a rarely discussed clause that can be used to reclaim copyrights, trumping vintage contracts after 25-35 years.

https://www.copyright.gov/docs/203.html

There are complex hoops to jump through but it is being increasingly being executed now that a lot of content has passed the required wait time and Indie publishing of books and music is a viable path, especially agent-assisted publishing.

Zelazny is a big enough name that recovering the copyrights and either negotiating new print deals or setting up mini-imprints pays off, especially for ebooks and audio books.

And it's not just musicians and authors recovering copyrights. It is increasingly happening on the video side:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...rights-1244737

Quote:

Terminator isn't an anomaly, it's a preview of what's to come. In the late 1970s, Congress amended the law to allow authors to grab back rights from studios after waiting a few decades. Until now, the termination provision has largely been exploited by musicians, not screenwriters. But records show a flurry of termination notices in the past year — under law, they can come 35 years after publication — which threatens to unsettle who owns the ability to make sequels and reboots of iconic films from the mid- to late-'80s.

More works that could change hands: Gary K. Wolf is looking to terminate Disney's rights to the book that became Who Framed Roger Rabbit. The heirs of Beetlejuice screenwriter Michael McDowell aim to do the same for the script to the 1988 Warner Bros. film. The family of novelist Roderick Thorp is terminating Fox's grip on Nothing Lasts Forever, aka Die Hard. Other works subject to termination include Predator and Nightmare on Elm Street, with authors like Stephen King and David Mamet also on the warpath.
In the case of TERMINATOR and PREDATOR they have been so poorly managed by the studios that recovering copyright doesn't even have to be driven by money.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The presence of the publisher is too small. They need to have enough of a presence so we know it's legit. The problem is they have problems with their eBooks that make them look like someone look like they downloaded an ePub version, converted it and then uploaded it without fixing any of the problems. That coupled with the too small an online presence brings up red flags to them maybe not being legit.

Now if we were to report these eBooks for the error of having two covers, would they be fixed once Amazon took them down?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #34
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Now if we were to report these eBooks for the error of having two covers, would they be fixed once Amazon took them down?
Amazon rarely takes books down for "defects", much less dual covers.
(Added illustrations are typically considered pluses.)

What they with quality complaints is forward them to the publisher and let them choose to update or not. Indies tend to be very responsive.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

As to non-legit ebooks in legit bookstores, it's an old problem they all police. Not perfectly, because nothing is, but most are pretty good.

Most:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2015/...-ebook-piracy/

Quote:

The books had been stolen from indie authors and publisher, including HarperCollins, Baen Books, Penguin Random House, Dell Magazines (Ellory Queen Mystery Magazine), and Tor-Forge Books.

And just to be sure, I bought 4 copies at random and compared them to the copies in the Kindle Store (I'm out about $30). The pirated ebooks in Google Play Books were clearly inferior copies with missing formatting, generic or outdated covers, and other problems, but were as complete as the copies in the Kindle Store.

All these books are being sold out in the open, for $2.11 each, in what would best be described as the pirate's own personal ebookstore. And to add insult to injury, they are all encumbered with DRM.
Latest followup:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2016/12/30/109159/

No need to fret about reverted books showing up there, apparently.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #36
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Amazon rarely takes books down for "defects", much less dual covers.
(Added illustrations are typically considered pluses.)

What they with quality complaints is forward them to the publisher and let them choose to update or not. Indies tend to be very responsive.
That might be the policy, and that might be the way things go most of the time, but when I reported failure to receive an X-ray file for a book with X-ray enabled, CS offered to take the book down.

I declined since most people don't care about X-ray and IMO the problem was amazon's, not the publisher's. The X-ray never showed up.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:48 AM   #37
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
When I buy a book from Amazon, I assume it's legitimate. How else can you reasonably be expected to deal with a merchant? It would be different if you were perusing ebooks at pirates.r.us.com. But Amazon is huge, and generally assumed to be a legitimate retailer. Customers should not be expected to have to dig in a research every product to validate it prior to purchase. If Amazon is selling illegal stuff, I say that is an Amazon problem, not a customer problem. Customers - in general - just do not have the knowledge, tools, or experience to ferret out illegal stuff offered for sale from a reputable retailer. You might be able to spot some super obvious fraud, but I doubt many ebooks fall into that small category. I have bought several ebooks from Amazon that look like they were proofread by a 3 year old, but that doesn't make me think they are not legit, ... just poorly done.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #38
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is no requirement that someone show they are legit, that is the base assumption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Sadly, when buying online I don't think that is true.
Requirement to satisfy amazon of legitimacy, or to anyone that might be curious?

How would a small publisher go about fulfilling the latter requirement?
Old 01-11-2020, 12:33 PM   #39
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The family of novelist Roderick Thorp is terminating Fox's grip on Nothing Lasts Forever, aka Die Hard.
Both of those titles could be a bit ironic in the context of a clawback.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #40
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
When I buy a book from Amazon, I assume it's legitimate. How else can you reasonably be expected to deal with a merchant? It would be different if you were perusing ebooks at pirates.r.us.com. But Amazon is huge, and generally assumed to be a legitimate retailer. Customers should not be expected to have to dig in a research every product to validate it prior to purchase. If Amazon is selling illegal stuff, I say that is an Amazon problem, not a customer problem. Customers - in general - just do not have the knowledge, tools, or experience to ferret out illegal stuff offered for sale from a reputable retailer. You might be able to spot some super obvious fraud, but I doubt many ebooks fall into that small category. I have bought several ebooks from Amazon that look like they were proofread by a 3 year old, but that doesn't make me think they are not legit, ... just poorly done.
In general, one of the tale tells I look for is a well known book being sold at well below the normal price point. For example, if Lord of Lights came out at $2 rather than the more normal $6, that's pretty obvious. The scammer is basically trying to get as many people as possible to pay before he gets shut down.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #41
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
...if Lord of Lights came out at $2 rather than the more normal $6, that's pretty obvious.
Maybe ... if you track books you want over long periods so that you can establish a baseline for price.

Me, I've never heard of Lord of Lights, so I wouldn't know if it normally sells for $9.99 or is normally a free giveaway. Most of the books I buy are that way. For books that I know are by big name authors and might normally come with a high price tag, ... I borrow those from the library.

And some books really surprise me. Take for example a Heinlein book from his juvenile series. Those books aren't cheap on Amazon, but seeing as how they are many decades old, and considered youth novels, I would have expected them to be $0.99 by now. So much for price predictions!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #42
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Requirement to satisfy amazon of legitimacy, or to anyone that might be curious?

How would a small publisher go about fulfilling the latter requirement?
Depends.
Traditional publishers sign contracts with Amazon.
Indies are subject to terms of service.
Both are liable for misrepresentation. Getting sued by Amazon is no fun.

They don't check every single ebook but they spot-check enough to catch most phonies. And their system logs dupicate book titles. Given the scope of their catalog it is hard to slip in a pirate book given that the legit is very likely to already be there. It has been tried. Most often with Indies...who tend to check their sales regularly if not daily. So that too is hard.

It's not easy to trick a well run store.
That's why Google's problems faced so much griping.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #43
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Never heard of him
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #44
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Both of those titles could be a bit ironic in the context of a clawback.
That one is interesting because the screenplay was adapted and the title was changed. The second movie was adapted on a different writer's screenplay for a different character. Losing the copyright would impact an exact reboot but not sequels. And given how the series is so closely linked to Wilis a reboot won't come soon or interest anybody else.

Not sure the studio would mind much.
I suspect a quiet settlement.

Terminator has been run so deep underground after the last two movies I doubt Hurd will find much interest but Predator might benefit from (yet another) reboot. Maybe Marvel.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-11-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #45
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Never heard of him
Zelazny?
He is really, really good.

Of course, it hinges on your genre preferences.
For SF he is "merely" good to great, for fantasy he ranges from great to historically significant. Not Tolkien but not far behind.

Both of his biggest projects are in development for video.

LORD OF LIGHT:

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/lord...in-development

CHRONICLES OF AMBER:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-chronicl...gam-1783945517

Not fly by night outfits but his immagination isn't easy to adept.

Only LENSMEN would be harder to get right.

The project of his that screams to be adapted, though, is JACK OF SHADOWS.
it is both great and adaptable and can be made into a stunning streaming series. It could incorporate the prequels as flashbacks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_of_Shadows