Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Amazingly quickly. Scary quick, actually.
And it mostly worked correctly
Which made scary even scarier
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:59 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, indeed, my decision to develop the calibre editor was motivated by user_none stopping development of Sigil, and no one stepping up to take over for a while. IMO, it is important to have a well maintained open source tool for editing e-books. And it was easier for me to write one from scratch than take over Sigil's codebase.

As for how quickly it was developed, it comes down to three factors:

1) Leveraging calibre's already exising powerful capabilities (in particular the book container infrastructure I had created for the Polish Books tool)

2) Knowing in advance exactly what I wanted to create -- thanks to the prior existence of Sigil, designing the editor was easy since I knew what I wanted from having used Sigil.

3) Writing it in python, which, at least for me, is much quicker to develop in than C/C++

And I am glad that Sigil is once more alive and vibrant, always good to have multiple tools to choose from.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2017, 10:22 AM   #18
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
2) Knowing in advance exactly what I wanted to create ...
This is one of the most important pillars of good software creation.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FYI - having worked with and around many many professional developers for over 35 years, I do not say this lightly ...

Kovid is the single most productive and creative programmer I have ever seen. He accomplishes more in one hour than most programmers do in a week. His work is always understandable and supportable and has very very few bugs when first written. And if any bugs do exist, they are quickly squashed. He seems to be at home with Python, C++, C, javascript, the DOM, website development, sockets, networks, gui, etc etc. There are few if any that have such a wide range of knowledge.

Until I met him I always thought I was a pretty good programmer but ...

I have no idea why he isn't running a huge software development house somewhere and getting paid large numbers of stock options!

I also have no idea how he gets his wife to allow him to put in the amount of work he does! My wife forces me to leave things alone and take a walk more and more often.

So ... please take a bow Kovid, you definitely deserve many!

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 01-25-2017 at 11:35 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thank you for the kind words

Mostly I am just lucky that I am able to work on something I enjoy and feel passionate about.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #21
ebookreadr
Enthusiast
ebookreadr began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
I think JSWolf used

Code:
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
instead of

Code:
margin: 0;
because Nook doesn't support the shorthand form.

Regards
Rubén
The nook simple touch I use does recognize this:

Code:
margin: 0 0 0.5em;
I used to use this a lot, but have stopped inserting/changing the space after the paragraphs. Do you still consider this 'shorthand form'?
ebookreadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I dislike the shorthand form of margins. I prefer to have the margins done the long way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #23
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookreadr View Post
The nook simple touch I use does recognize this:

Code:
margin: 0 0 0.5em;
I used to use this a lot, but have stopped inserting/changing the space after the paragraphs. Do you still consider this 'shorthand form'?
Hi ebookreadr;

Yes, that is one of the several shorthand form for the property margin. You could use:

Code:
margin: value; /* the four margins are equal to value */
Code:
margin: value1 value2; /* value1 is for top/bottom margins and value2 is for left/right margins */
Code:
margin: value1 value2 value3; /* value1 is for top margin, value2 is for left/right margins and value3 is for bottom margin */
Code:
margin: value1 value2 value3 value4; /* value1 is for top margin, value2 is for right margin, value3 is for bottom margin and value4 is for left margin */
Since I don't have a Nook touch, I can't tell you if that model supports the shortand form for margin. But one things is sure, not all models of Nook support that way of scripture. Here, in MR, was talked a lot about Nook and his poor support for shorthand forms of css properties.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I have no idea why he isn't running a huge software development house somewhere and getting paid large numbers of stock options!
Excellent doers often make lousy managers, and excellent managers often don't do much, because their excellent doers make sure they don't - "Oh no, the boss is writing code, quick let's take him/her down the pub!"

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-25-2017 at 08:21 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:07 AM   #25
Krittika Goyal
Vox calibre
Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony reader prs700, kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

I also have no idea how he gets his wife to allow him to put in the amount of work he does! My wife forces me to leave things alone and take a walk more and more often.

KevinH
His work makes him happy and his happiness is contagious
Krittika Goyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:02 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Excellent doers often make lousy managers, and excellent managers often don't do much, because their excellent doers make sure they don't - "Oh no, the boss is writing code, quick let's take him/her down the pub!"

BR
The pointy haired manager is a lousy manager and a lousy doer.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #27
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I dislike the shorthand form of margins. I prefer to have the margins done the long way.
And, as others have noted, some reader software doesn't support the shorthand, while I have never found one that supports the shorthand but not the long version. Using the long version creates more portable EPUB.

On the other hand, I would never put any margin, widow, or text-align in type selector in an EPUB stylesheet. Those belong in the user stylesheet, so they can set their defaults for the reader they use, and don't have to resort to using "!important", which makes the cascade much harder to follow for humans. In fact, the EPUB stylesheet should really only have class, ID, and pseudo-element selectors.

Basically, CSS in an EPUB should always assume the user page box is how the user wants it, and not try and change it in any way. The CSS in the EPUB should use margins to separate the blocks of the book from the edges of the user page box, and to separate boxes from each other (either vertically or horizontally), and nothing else.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
And, as others have noted, some reader software doesn't support the shorthand, while I have never found one that supports the shorthand but not the long version. Using the long version creates more portable EPUB.

On the other hand, I would never put any margin, widow, or text-align in type selector in an EPUB stylesheet. Those belong in the user stylesheet, so they can set their defaults for the reader they use, and don't have to resort to using "!important", which makes the cascade much harder to follow for humans. In fact, the EPUB stylesheet should really only have class, ID, and pseudo-element selectors.

Basically, CSS in an EPUB should always assume the user page box is how the user wants it, and not try and change it in any way. The CSS in the EPUB should use margins to separate the blocks of the book from the edges of the user page box, and to separate boxes from each other (either vertically or horizontally), and nothing else.
There is no such thing as a user stylesheet. It's just the ePub stylesheet. The "box" as you call it should be setup the best way possible so the options in the reading software can be used to set things how the user wants. Overall margins should be set to 0 so if the user wants to keep them that way, that can be done or if the user wants to increase the margins with the programs options, that can be done. Also, the base font size should be left at the default so the user can change it as wanted. A lot do find the default size to be good.

The one thing that cannot be changed in all reading programs is the indent or paragraph spaces. So it's best to have an indent of 1.2em and no paragraph space. Don't use a smaller font for things like offset text. What can be changed when there are options to change things is the font, the left/right margins, & line height. Some programs have more options but you have to go with the minimum and let these other programs do the overriding.

Don't use fixed values in CSS. Use em and % as needed. Don't use font-family unless you need to such as sans-serif or monospace. Make it as simple as possible. Don't have excess CSS entries that aren't used.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Please, let's not turn this into another "well the right way to code an epub is ..." conversation. They're pointless, boring, and not nearly as relevant as the usual suspects like to think they are.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #30
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Hi!

I was advised to read something in this thread, so I did, of course I read it all, and not only once.

Conclusion: To be really informed someone have to make the issue (whatever it is) to a full time job (I am already wondering, when some of you guys 'hit the hay').

Under the thread title ''italic at end of line ...'' nobody would expect such an far-reaching info.

To be a good moderator must be a hard job.

So the least I learned here is not to use CSS shorthands - so far I thought it would be an elegant, smart method to keep the stylessheet short and spacial manageable.

I feel more and more well here! (in mobileread).

Last edited by chaot; 03-20-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: add: (...)
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote