Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2015, 01:03 AM   #1
qprfan99
Enthusiast
qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
AZW6

I've just bought a book from Amazon & it is in the AZW6 format.
When I try to add it to Calibre this format is not even recognised. Is there a way of converting it to a format Calibre likes?

I can only read it on a Kindle or the Kindle PC App which generally would be fine but I'd like to be able to open it in an application where I can copy pictures etc.

Regards
Larry
qprfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:24 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Go to http://amazon.com/manageyourkindle and download the book using the option to transfer via USB.

That will give you an AZW3 which can be read by your E-Ink Kindle -- and alf's Tools will fall in line as well.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2015, 04:01 AM   #3
qprfan99
Enthusiast
qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Thanks very much

What's Alfs Tools?
qprfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com

Many books have DRM which prevent you from reading them on the devices you choose (and only on officially vendor-approved devices). With this, your options become more flexible, and you don't have to worry the store might close down (several stores have, back in the day. Also an ever-present fear with Barnes & Noble Nook, who aren't looking so good. )
Many people here alf their books.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com

Many books have DRM which prevent you from reading them on the devices you choose (and only on officially vendor-approved devices). With this, your options become more flexible, and you don't have to worry the store might close down (several stores have, back in the day. Also an ever-present fear with Barnes & Noble Nook, who aren't looking so good. )
Many people here alf their books.
The DRM isn't preventing reading on a "device". It should be remembered that the "device" for DRM is really the reader app as in "reader app = device" for DRM.

When I got may Nook HD+, it had a "device" setting in the HD+ settings; read the books from BN OK. Found out about Aldiko ereader & decided to try it; wouldn't work as Aldiko has its own DRM setting within the Aldiko app even if the "device" had the DRM info.

Was able to use Aldiko only after entering the DRM data in Aldiko even tho the HD+ "device" had the necessary DRM data. At that point I decided it was necessary to disinfect all my ebooks by using Calibre & Alf.

At least, that's my experience. Mantano also has its own DRM setting but don't know if it is now fully implemented as at one point Mantano wasn't able to do the "return book" from Mantano but had to do it at the public library(?).
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Go to http://amazon.com/manageyourkindle and download the book using the option to transfer via USB.

That will give you an AZW3 which can be read by your E-Ink Kindle -- and alf's Tools will fall in line as well.
Oh! Thank you That is a useful tip for me. I just assumed I had to use my Kindle Reader app to get Amazon books. This is much better.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The advice to download the azw6 book via usb is not working for me. It gets downloaded as a azw6 and calibre does not see it. I'd appreciate any advice on how to proceed further.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
ntamas
Zealot
ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 3 + Kindle keyboard
Would you share the compatibility list on the product page of that book?

Thanks.
ntamas is offline   Reply With Quote